help! leak oil filter housing!

VermZ06

:
Silver Bullet '07 MS3
Hey guys,

Just changed my oil yesterday. Replaced oil filter, gaskets and new Mobil 1. I buttoned the car back up I turned the car on and noticed oil leaking between the plastic catridge that houses the filter and the metal piece it screws into. Its a steady pour only when the car is turned on. Anyone have an idea of a way to fix this? I've done about 8 oil changes on thus car so I'm not new to doing these. I'm thinking I need a brand new plastic housing cartridge? But idk. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Have you been changing the rubber gasket with each filter change? That is the first place I would look.

Have you been changing the rubber gasket with each filter change? That is the first place I would look.

Yes, all gaskets changed out with new. I'm going to try a completey new oil filter housing cartridge today...(if the dealership has any in stock). I'm praying that will fix the problem.

Do you know if there's anything else that might be causing maybe a pressure issue?

Thanks for the insight!

I'm not sure I've never had a problem with it. Maybe the holder for the cartridge got cross threaded and that's causing it to leak I can see that happening pretty easily.

I get a little teeny bit of leakage from that fitting too. New rubber gaskets every time. bad design, imo.

I don't like the design either.

Do you hand tighten? I tighten mine down with the adapter thing that goes on a ratchet.

just pull it apart, visully inspect, and put it back together
you made some little error and missed it
no biggie
Hey guys,

Just changed my oil yesterday. Replaced oil filter, gaskets and new Mobil 1. I buttoned the car back up I turned the car on and noticed oil leaking between the plastic catridge that houses the filter and the metal piece it screws into. Its a steady pour only when the car is turned on. Anyone have an idea of a way to fix this? I've done about 8 oil changes on thus car so I'm not new to doing these. I'm thinking I need a brand new plastic housing cartridge? But idk. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

sounds to me like you ended up cracking the housing, since they are made from ABS they have a tendency to crack if you apply just that TINY little bit of pressure.

Spin-on conversion! No runs, no drips, no errors. Plus, you can use a bigger filter.

Thanks for all the help guys! I rePlaced the old housing with a new from the dealer and it worked! What a PITA. Next up is fix the leaking front driver side strut...argggg.

Glad you got it fixed. I just went through the shock replacement what a PITA! Make sure you get a BFH and lots of PB Blaster :D

Needed to ask since this topic was of an oil leak. This is some weird s*** that happened about 2 weeks ago to my car. Let me start by saying that I noticed oil underneath the left side of car. I turned on the car no no oil light was on so I backed up the car. And yes it was my car leaking the oil.

I opened the hood and oil was ******* everywhere ( BOTTOM AND TOP ) as if I had no oil cap on. It was on by the way. I checked the oil level and it was bone dry. I had to add 2 1/2 Qts. I cleaned up most of the oil and checked all oil lines and did'nt see s*** leaking. WHAT THE **** !!!!

It hasn't leaked again and this freaks me the hell out.

Can someone please advise me on what could have happened and what to check for ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Oh and by the way I'm adding about I'd say 1/3 - 1/2 of oil a week or so.

Again any help I thank !!

Last edited:
Needed to ask since this topic was of an oil leak. This is some weird s*** that happened about 2 weeks ago to my car. Let me start by saying that I noticed oil underneath the left side of car. I turned on the car no no oil light was on so I backed up the car. And yes it was my car leaking the oil.

I opened the hood and oil was ******* everywhere ( BOTTOM AND TOP ) as if I had no oil cap on. It was on by the way. I checked the oil level and it was bone dry. I had to add 2 1/2 Qts. I cleaned up most of the oil and checked all oil lines and did'nt see s*** leaking. WHAT THE **** !!!!

It hasn't leaked again and this freaks me the hell out.

Can someone please advise me on what could have happened and what to check for ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Oh and by the way I'm adding about I'd say 1/3 - 1/2 of oil a week or so.

Again any help I thank !!
Holy crap!! That's serious loss of oil. Did the gasket from the old filter get removed? Sounds like it didn't, since there is no other evidence of leaks.

so, how do you blow 2 qts while its running, then stop leaking by itself?

mebbe a breather line is off??

might be wise to do a good engine bay cleaning so you can find the source of this

so, how do you blow 2 qts while its running, then stop leaking by itself?

mebbe a breather line is off??

might be wise to do a good engine bay cleaning so you can find the source of this

I parked my car and sat in it for a few minutes while the turbo timer was counting down from 1.5 min. I always do a walkaround my car before I take off and didnt notice any oil leaks proir to this happening. I noticed the leak the next morning. It must have leaked when it was running down. I cleaned most of it but dont see it leaking anymore or atleast the amount from before.

Where would I find the breather line ? Thanks for responding !!!

Holy crap!! That's serious loss of oil. Did the gasket from the old filter get removed? Sounds like it didn't, since there is no other evidence of leaks.

Thanks for replying I will check it this weekend when I change my oil. It hasnt leaked like that again but I notice that I'm adding a half of quart every week or so.

I parked my car and sat in it for a few minutes while the turbo timer was counting down from 1.5 min. I always do a walkaround my car before I take off and didnt notice any oil leaks proir to this happening. I noticed the leak the next morning. It must have leaked when it was running down. I cleaned most of it but dont see it leaking anymore or atleast the amount from before.

Where would I find the breather line ? Thanks for responding !!!

You can knock down that timer to about 30 seconds. 1.5 mins is a bit overkill, and unless you run hard right up to your driveway, timers really aren't needed.

Okay here it goes........Oil is coming out of the oil dipstick tube and the first thing I did was change the rubber seal on it. And it happened again oil all over the place from the dipstick tube. My next guess would be to change the PCV Valve. If this doesnt work could it be that my piston rings are bad allowing oil escaping past the rings and compressing pass back into the combustion chamber into the crankcase where the pressure is building up and escaping through the dipstick tube ?

Engine rebuild ?

Back