HELP cyl 3 misfire! QUICK!!!

kewl Thursday night sounds good...What time? Btw, I still didnt put the shifter bushings in due to the fact that my car is too low wont go onto my friend's ramps

P.S. Seems like i got a little bit of oil on the walls inside the spark plug compartment. I think thats what causing it.

Interesting. Did you try cleaning it with maybe carburator cleaner?

LMAO YO! My crap turned off this morning! Went to my car this morning from work. Started it up, and no CEL anymore! I wiggled the wire some more yesterday in the lot with Antony at fun run, but still had the CEL at that time, but this morning its gone.

P.S. Ill try and get a new spring.

P.S.^2 (silly) Gonna go to autozone and run another OBDII check and see if its clear or not.

Last edited:
Misfire CELs tend to disappear on their own over time. Doesn't mean the problem is fixed.

How was the fun run?

Kooldino said:
Misfire CELs tend to disappear on their own over time. Doesn't mean the problem is fixed.

How was the fun run?

it was freaking nice...I almost flew off the road at one point.

GOD DAMN IT! THE LIGHT TURNED ON LAST NIGHT!!! ARRRGH Gonna go and buy new spark plugs. and go do OBDII check again.

is it only cylinder 3 misfire?

i remember i had a cylinder misfire AS WELL AS a faulty EGR ...

ChopstickHero said:
is it only cylinder 3 misfire?

i remember i had a cylinder misfire AS WELL AS a faulty EGR ...

BLEH! didnt find out till this morning. Now I had P0300 code which is a multi-cylinder misfire. So then I just went and bought NGK irridium plugs at Pepboys, which the guy looked up on the computer shown as stock replacement plugs. Also bought OBDII reader for 100 dollars because its pain in the arse to wait till autozone will open. Therefore, installed plugs and problem solved. GOD DAMN MY STOCK PLUGS WERE ******* BLACK!!!!!!! THE WHOLE tip was black on each of them, esspecially cylinder 1 and 3. Well problem solved, my rpm doesnt bounce at idle as it used to few days ago. So I hope everything is good, but I will still get magnecore wires soon.

your plugs shouldnt be black...that would mean that u are running very rich i believe. there may be another issue here.

akhilleus said:
your plugs shouldnt be black...that would mean that u are running very rich i believe. there may be another issue here.

Yea I was definetly running too rich. But I mean I shouldnt since the Jspec camshaft lets more air in there. I dont know wtf is going on.

yes but when u let in more air...the 1st o2 sensor detects it and richens the mixture. Also u are letting in the most air at high rpm when the mixture is already rich. I just changed out an old pair of spark plugs that were in while i had my cam... they weren't black. Also though if u had your cel you might have been running rich from that.

akhilleus said:
yes but when u let in more air...the 1st o2 sensor detects it and richens the mixture. Also u are letting in the most air at high rpm when the mixture is already rich. I just changed out an old pair of spark plugs that were in while i had my cam... they weren't black. Also though if u had your cel you might have been running rich from that.
Greg, but why would I get CEL in a 1st place? I mean it turned on because of cylinder 3 misfire...Spark plug would cause that because combustion wasnt large enough. and from there it would be running richER than usual. Ehhh, this is too technical at this moment for me, Im having brain damage at work (coffee)

MOTHER EFFFFFING HORSE NUTS!!! FREAKING s*** TURNED ON AGAIN TODAY! MOTHER OF GOD!!! Good thing I have bought OBDII scanner. Well just like last time P0300 = damn multi cylinder misfire. WTF HORSE NUTS! If im gonna get magnecore wires would that help? I really doubt it at this point but just checking...

dominoy2k1 said:
maybe the coils are junk?

Can coils go bad after 17,800 miles? Thats how many miles I got on the car.

Well just like last time P0300 = damn multi cylinder misfire.
this is weird...!!! i dont think its the plugs and or wires/coil packs...there must be something else that may have been disturbed when u installed the cam. If u are going to change the wires though get the nology since they replace the coil packs too.

dominoy2k1 said:
dunno, i had to get a new one at 25k miles.
eh

on the side note...
my rpm is STILL bouncing at idle between 800 and 600. Pretty notticable too. That makes my whole car shake. Exhaust all the way from the header shakes like crazy because of that.

Back