Heater wont blow any heat!!

jr10000

Ok so im having a heater problem obviously.. I read one thread on here that suggested to replace the thermostat and refill with coolant. I did that and i also checked the white cables behind the radio which were all good nothing was loose. However, i let my car run today after replacing the thermostat for about 30 mins and it was still blowing ice cold air out. I have no idea what else is wrong with it. It has about 120,xxx miles and i dont feel like taking it to the shop. Any help would be appreciated.

is you car getting up to normal operating temps???????

The temp selector cable might have come loose. Remove the glovebox and look beind as you move the temp knob make sure you get full actuation.

Maxx i did do that and the cables are perfect. MSP5 - Yes the car gets to normal temps even after i drove my girlfriend home last night which is an hour there and an hour back the car still was blowing cold air out. I live in Louisiana and im from chicago so thankfully i can deal with cold pretty well but i really want it fixed.

Ok so im having a heater problem obviously.. I read one thread on here that suggested to replace the thermostat and refill with coolant. I did that and i also checked the white cables behind the radio which were all good nothing was loose. However, i let my car run today after replacing the thermostat for about 30 mins and it was still blowing ice cold air out. I have no idea what else is wrong with it. It has about 120,xxx miles and i dont feel like taking it to the shop. Any help would be appreciated.

Did this start happening all at once, or was it gradual? Maybe you have a blockage in one of your heater hoses that is keeping the warm coolant out.

Did this start happening all at once, or was it gradual? Maybe you have a blockage in one of your heater hoses that is keeping the warm coolant out.

Honestly i dont know. I ive in Louisiana now not chicago so i dont use my heater as much. How would i go about checking the hoses. i drained everything today when i replaced the thermostat and the car took about a gallon of coolant to refill it.

Did you watch the little white wheel turn while simultaneously rotating the temperature control? It is possible for the cable to look ok, but be misrouted, so that when the control turns the cable flexes and the white plastic wheel does not turn. Although, when it happened to me, the cable had popped out of the black clip. You might also have a broken control cable.

I'm in the 10:1 camp too, 10 times as often the wheel won't be turning because of cable issues vs. 1 time the heater core is screwed.

Did you watch the little white wheel turn while simultaneously rotating the temperature control? It is possible for the cable to look ok, but be misrouted, so that when the control turns the cable flexes and the white plastic wheel does not turn. Although, when it happened to me, the cable had popped out of the black clip. You might also have a broken control cable.

I'm in the 10:1 camp too, 10 times as often the wheel won't be turning because of cable issues vs. 1 time the heater core is screwed.

Honestly, if the heater control is working and you're not losing coolant, the only real possibility is a plugged heater hose/core. You might be able to try replacing the heater hoses and running water through the heater core to dislodge any obstructions, but these components are a pain in the ass to reach in our cars.

If you have air in your lines it could cause this issue too. I would try picking up a ventable radiator cap and release the pressure a couple times after driving then add
more coolant. I have had 3 diff. cars around here where the thermostat was replaced and ended up with air bubbles in the hoses. The caps are only about $8.

mine is doing the sameI got a price of 500 dollars to get a new heater core put in,do you thnk i would have to buy a new raditor to,Because when they flushed my radiator it was nasty as hell in the inside,What are your opnions or suggestions? i di change my thermostat

im in the exact same boat jr1000... i have a gut feeling that its the heater core on my car but its so cold out i dont feel like fooling with it yet i kinda need heat. i changed the thermostat and coolant but it didnt make a big difference but after the car has run about 30 minutes it will blow a little bit warmer air out but its nothing compared to what it should be... im clueless to what i should do next (scratch) ive been told that i can try to run water through the opposite end of heater core flushing any debrea out of it... anyone done this?

Ok i just finished messing with it. I moved the dials and watched the the white wheel move. The cables are fine and i took the car for a drive and it actually gave a little warm heat so i know the thermostat was the issue but its just not getting hot like it used to do. But im gonna mess with it tomorrow its to cold out now.

im in the exact same boat jr1000... i have a gut feeling that its the heater core on my car but its so cold out i dont feel like fooling with it yet i kinda need heat. i changed the thermostat and coolant but it didnt make a big difference but after the car has run about 30 minutes it will blow a little bit warmer air out but its nothing compared to what it should be... im clueless to what i should do next (scratch) ive been told that i can try to run water through the opposite end of heater core flushing any debrea out of it... anyone done this?

JM1 Im now having the same issue man. Im gonna mess with it tomorrow and let you know if i find anything out.

I did the same thing with my dials before it helped for a little and had to change my thermostat and now i dont have any heat in knoxville Tennessee in this 14 degree weather

Back