H7 silverstars suck

loccusst

:
2003 Yellow Mazda Protege5 Autostick
I put some of those sylvania silverstars in my wifes car and they suck. No differance that I could see. The light was whiter but not brighter than the blue ones I had in there from another car I had them on. I think the problem might be that the regular bulb is a H7, this is about the weakest bulb out there when it comes to ilumination. The old blue one burnt out so I put in the silvania's and was not pleased with them at all. I will go back to the blue bulbs I had in before. I was thinking of putting in a differant bulb all together by putting a wire in the plug since it seems like the factory plug was actually intended for a differant bulb anyway. This would explain why we have to use a adapter on the h7 to extend the length of the bulb. I can't remember what bulb is three pronged and I'm not sure on the interferance. The H7 is a weaker bulb when you compare it to other bulbs anyway so a change in bulbs would increase the light put out and be worth the rewireing of a relay and power. If anyone has tried this out let me know otherwise I'll keep you guys informed in what I find out. Probably just gonna have to test fit bulbs till I find one. I just figured for what you pay for these bulbs they would be better than they are. :wtf:

The only "promise" silverstar makes about their bulbs is that they are whiter than normal, offering better vision in return. If you have a whiter light, the light will also be brighter.

Sweet round rock!!!! My parents used to live there in the Woods blvd area. My mom worked at the grade school there and for the sherrifs department. Anyway I was only comparing them to the the bulbs I already had in the car so I was not seeing any differance for the amount of money i was paying. It got to like 11 below here so I envy you for not only your spicey msp but your weather too that i ooooohhh so miss.

Oh they definetly suck. I've had Silverstars, 2 different types of PIAA's, and even yes, APC's..the PIAA's were by FAR..the best. (Hyper White~4150K)

loccusst said:
I think the problem might be that the regular bulb is a H7, this is about the weakest bulb out there when it comes to ilumination. The H7 is a weaker bulb when you compare it to other bulbs anyway

Where did you get your facts from? The H7 is a much better bulb than the 900X series bulbs and H4 too. It's "probably" one of the better bulbs out there, except for maybe the new H8, 9 and 11, and the higher voltage H1.

And no being whiter does not make jack s*** whiter. More lumens = more brightness.

Hmmmm......so I could probably wire it up to have dual high beams if I wanted to. i guess I could just use a three pronged bulb without hooking up the highbeam. The only point is to step up the brightness ladder to get a brighter regular bulb since on the luminations ranking the h7 is on the bottom rung of the ladder. I'll look at it in the morning... or when i roll out of bed anyway.

i put silverstars in my wifes civic and they are great. they are way brighter than stock and they also emit a bluish color....i WAS thinking of getting them ( both h3 and h7's) for my p5

Just look at the back of any bulb packaging.... or go to silvanias web sight, it might be on there. It only appears brighter on our cars because of the designe of our headlights. I am not saying i am at all completely correct or in no way wrong. I am going by my personal experiance and what I have read. I had h7 bulbs on my civic projector lights and they sucked so i went to jdm headlights.

And what bulbs do the JDM headlight use??

Here's the lumen output, I'm looking at my installation sheet for the SS.

9003 910/1500
9004 700/1200
9005 1700
9006 1000
9007 1000/1350
H1 1410
H3 1310
H7 1350

Tell me how 1350 lumens is on the weak side when the avearge of these bulbs is ~ 1100 lumens, and thats including the 9005 bulb usually used in high beam applications.

Last edited:
Whiter is better than regular and you can see better with whiter bulbs of the same lumination of a oem yellowish (oem) bulb. The H7 silverstar does not have a blue tint to it, at least not the ones i bought in a completely sealed package. The bulb has that blueish rainbow tint to the actual bulb but not to the light. If someone can prove me wring then I will gladly admit I am wrong about the level of brightness for the H7. After all I meerly want the brightest bulb in my car.

On a civic I believe its 9003 but I put in aftermarket blue bulbs of a higher wattage. The jdm headlights had nothing to do with the brightness. I just had to replace the projector headlight housing so I did the jdm look instead, looks waaay better anyway.

Higher wattage lights of course will put out more light, but you run the risk of damaging your harness and headlamp system from overheating.

If you want brighter bulbs get Osram Silverstars (Europe) or go with HIDs.

I think silvania needs to get there stuff in order cause they show the exact oposite on the back of the bulbs I got from them, LOL. Our charts are exactly oposite from the same company. Must of been a late friday job by quality control. Guess I'll stick with the H7 since HID is against the law right now from what i have heard on here. As far as the higher wattage bulbs i don't go too high up just for that reason. I believe the ss are higher watage bulbs though than factory... I think. Anyway thanks for correcting me.

I too wonder what bulbs the JDM MP5 uses in the headlight location for the H7 spot.

two points-

1. You should not hook up higher wattage bulbs, because we got REEALLY thin wires, and they are prone to melting.

and

2. The reason why high beams are brighter is less the output of the bulb, and more of the fact that they are pretty much exposed filaments. Look at the low and high beams, the low beams have a reflector covering the bulb, while the high is exposed. In order to wire two high beams, you would have to take out the reflector in the low beam housing.

Actually in our case, the low is uncovered, where the high is covered..

deathuntofoes said:
two points-

1. You should not hook up higher wattage bulbs, because we got REEALLY thin wires, and they are prone to melting.

and

2. The reason why high beams are brighter is less the output of the bulb, and more of the fact that they are pretty much exposed filaments. Look at the low and high beams, the low beams have a reflector covering the bulb, while the high is exposed. In order to wire two high beams, you would have to take out the reflector in the low beam housing.

leungwingkei said:
And what bulbs do the JDM headlight use??

Here's the lumen output, I'm looking at my installation sheet for the SS.

9003 910/1500
9004 700/1200
9005 1700
9006 1000
9007 1000/1350
H1 1410
H3 1310
H7 1350

Tell me how 1350 lumens is on the weak side when the avearge of these bulbs is ~ 1100 lumens, and thats including the 9005 bulb usually used in high beam applications.

Going with his info, the H7 has been the brightest bulb I have had in a car. Much more so than my miata's 9003s.

I get flashed all the time in my P5 on the highway. Apparently everyone else thinks they are pretty friggin bright too. :)

I have had too many problems with just replacing bulbs...
I guess I wasn't lucky... I think HID are worth spend money for.
but for regular bulbs, I recommend PIAA products since they have warranty

Latest posts

Back