H7 headlights for the P5? Really?

nilsonov

So I ordered some replacements headlights on ebay, H7s, which is what proteges are supposed to have. But, the pins dont match the stock bulbs and connector! Are the bulbs marked H7 false or am I being retarded somehow?

I am certain that might lights are stock.

Did you take the black plastic piece off of the old bulbs? If not, give it a shot. ;) A lot of people don't realize that is a separate piece from teh bulb.

And just to make sure you do not have the sedan headlights on the car?

haha this happened to me when i first bought those Luminics White bulbs for the p5..
i didnt realize that the black adapter piece was a separate part of the bulb and had to be removed and put onto the new bulb i bought, it was uber fail... :)

Same here, I put some Silverstars in a few months ago and it took me a minute to realize the black piece comes off.

No, nothing to do with the black spacer. I'm talking about the electrical connection: I cannot plug the bulb into the electric socket because the pins on the bulb have a different spacing and size.

And no, not the sedan ones (but arent they the same anyway??)

h7 bulbs should have 2 connectors across from each other, the sedan's came with h4 bulbs. they have 3 connectors, 2 across from each other and one across the top.

Do you have the black connector that goes between the harness and bulb. It may be stuck to your old bulb. It sounds like it might be.

here i googled this picture for you :)
that black piece is what we are talking about.
The bulb plugs into that black "adapter" which then is plugged into the harness.

headlight3.jpg

Crap, I didnt realize that black connected had its own metal connectors!
When I got the car it had some cheap HIDs that stopped working when I swapped them out with OEM lights for inspection. I get no output voltage on those voltage control boxes.
Anyway, decided I didnt really need those and it'd be cheaper to replace with regular lights.

Long story short, where can I get that black adapter? (I don't have the old lights, the OEM's above were borrowed from another P5).

Last edited:
Holy crap $10 each + shipping! Are there no bulbs out there that will fit w/o this adapter? Or can I just splice them??

The H7 bulb is the factory size bulb....your other option is to buy sedan headlights and do some re-wiring.

I'd spend the $20+ to have peace of mind.

Holy crap $10 each + shipping! Are there no bulbs out there that will fit w/o this adapter? Or can I just splice them??

Check my other post in this forum about the 1920s calling and wanting their prices back. $20 is not a lot of money ;)

Ok, I'm going to thread-jack for a moment here.

h7 bulbs should have 2 connectors across from each other, the sedan's came with h4 bulbs. they have 3 connectors, 2 across from each other and one across the top.

I bought my p5 bout a month and a half ago, and when I first went to change out one of my bulbs I found that the bulbs are h4 instead of h7. Now I know a possible reason why.

My question is this: There seems to be some misalignment with my bumper, particularly around the driver side headlight. Could the sedan headlights cause this?

I believe the bumper has been replaced.

I'm just trying to see if anyone has some suggestions as to how to get everything to line up nicely. I'm at work now, I'll make sure to post pictures later.

Back