Got the 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring w/Tech Package today.......

:
2014 GT AWD / Tech / Skyblue
Hello all...

Wife finally got her CX-5 today. Obviously, she is not into car forums. Drove it around all day today. Pretty neat. The upgraded horses definitely is a welcome. Too bad it's not offer in M/T. All in all, it's a pretty solid car. Did some quick turns on exits, streets, etc and it really holds the road (for a SUV that is damn good). Haven't really pedal to the metal because it's still in break-in period. Here are some of my findings for spending a day with the CX-5.

1) It drives "almost" like a sports sedan. Not much wobbling going into turns like (mini van and other suvs).
2) Nice boost of horses from 2013 (I drove automatic 2013 and the m/t 2013).
3) TomTom is alrite but the whole GPS is just slow. Compared to my Galaxy S3 phone. Entering addresses took forever.
4) Having the "auto" on the headlight is a bit confusing because I am used to the typical japanese cars (two clicks and headlights is on, now I have to do either 1 or 3 clicks). Haven't really look into the "auto" rain sensing wipers yet.
5) When I have the key in my pocket and walk out of the car while it's still running. It warns me something about "key" out of range. Is that normal?
6) The BMS (blind spot monitoring) is useful in a way but also gives out alot of false positives. When I am on the left or right lane close to a guard rail, the light comes on and there were a few times, I signal to cross lane, the light is on but there is NO CAR. Looks like a feature I will be turning off.
7) I have the leather seats and I like them. It's firm and I like it.
8) I bought the all season mats (it's not bad but gotta figure out what to do with the dead pedal because it's not covered). Also, the mats go on the round anchor. That anchor was a bit hard to remove the mats. Maybe it's just tight because it's new.
9) Also bought cargo mats but the trunk is empty now. I had a collapsible tray in there now and it's flying around. Need to figure out how to secure it.
10) Got the oem wheel locks and torque them today.
11) Got the bumpshox 2.0 and installed it today.
12) Got blind spot mirror and will be installing it tomorrow.
13) Does 2014 not come with that sky blue "Engine" Cover anymore? Mines is black.
14) Do all of you only have 2 keys from the dealer? My past cars I get 3 keys or more. 2 keys with keyfob and usually at least a valet key.
15) Liftgate goes up sooooooooooo high. It was almost about to bang my garage door. Took me for a surprise (this is our first suv).
16) Bose speakers are pretty good. I like it.
17) The piano black stripe that goes across the dash is DUST magnet.
18) When folding the seats down, the front seats have to be pushed pretty up.
19) Trunk only has one light on the left. Not bright enough.
20) The Toyo (I think) for touring all season it's not bad. I was thinking it would scream when I make a fast turn.
21) When driving at night, the rear view mirror looking to the back seems very dark. Maybe because I am not used to tinted rear (suv).
22) May I ask what is the point of that P/R/N/D thing going down like a maze? It's not a stick shift just make it plain and simple. Just up and down is fine. I think it's just dumb. Maybe it's me.
23) Surprise not even a slot anywhere for like coins.
24) I am not a fan of that button that you unlock the door (I am talking about the rear passengers). That knob is not thumb friendly I think.
25) The HID is very bright and nice.
26) It was raining earlier and at night, the reverse camera was a bit foggy and hard to see. I guess that's normal.
27) I think there was live traffic on GPS before. I am assuming that's trial for a few months.
28) The heated seats wasn't all that warm even going to the 3rd light.
29) Is the 3rd brake light led? I don't think so.
30) Ok, sorry to make you read such a long list. I've mostly mentioned some of the complains but I do like the CX-5 alot such as upgraded power, nice looking and comfy seats with nice LUMBER support, beautiful HID, very fun to drive SUV (very hard to find one that is fun to drive), overall pretty good interior (a bit dark but the quality is pretty nice, even the plastic and hard rubber), nice 19 inch OEM rims, overall the suv looks good in and out.

Ok, I am going to shut up now. Below is a few pics I took. The mustang is my bro's car. So here goes comment #31

31) From a 2012 mustang gt m/t 412 horses driver: I like the cx-5. It doesn't wobble in turns like a typical suv/van. I have confidence driving this car. It's actually fun to drive (would be nicer if it's m/t). I like it. It brakes good and pretty peppy for 184 horses. Even got some exhaust noise. Nice seats and nice interiors and exterior. I just went through this curve at 60mph even though it said go at 30mph. Really handles good. Oh, pretty nice speakers too.

There you have it.

20130302_124434.jpg

20130302_140303.jpg

20130302_140719.jpg

Last edited:
First of all congrats.

Why stick an extra blind spot mirror when you have BSM. You'll get used to it. It's very conservative. It beeps every time when I'm weaving through traffic, I guess I'm 'cutting off' ppl.
The engine cover is black now, guess they're saving $$ on the blue paint.
Most of your concerns are discussed in other threads, so look around, there's a lot of good info here.
Bought the CX-5 for my wife also, it's nice to have a plush ride to drive around on the weekends. But Monday morning, when I get in my speed6, it's definitely missed.

Lots of useless information here but nice pictures. I'd like to know how you think the 2.0 compares to the 2.5 in more detail.

Thanks

First of all congrats.

Why stick an extra blind spot mirror when you have BSM. You'll get used to it. It's very conservative. It beeps every time when I'm weaving through traffic, I guess I'm 'cutting off' ppl.
The engine cover is black now, guess they're saving $$ on the blue paint.
Most of your concerns are discussed in other threads, so look around, there's a lot of good info here.
Bought the CX-5 for my wife also, it's nice to have a plush ride to drive around on the weekends. But Monday morning, when I get in my speed6, it's definitely missed.

Thanks. Because BSM is not accurate. It already blinked a few times while there are no cars. One time I change lane, it blinked and I had to moved the car back to my lane BUT THERE WAS NO CAR on that merging lane. Also, when I am all the way on left or right lane (if there is a guard rail) if often times also light up. That I can deal with. But false "blinking" that's not good. I wouldn't want to depend on a sensor (if it turns out to be false). Blind mirror tells me 100% if there is a car or not. The sensor (I am not sure where it is located) but if wherever it is has a dirty spot and covering it and that's what you depend on one day, hmmmm......I don't know.

Last edited:
Lots of useless information here but nice pictures. I'd like to know how you think the 2.0 compares to the 2.5 in more detail.

Thanks

Originally, I had thoughts of getting the 2.0 fwd m/t for myself and giving my car to wife. There were a few reasons I didn't get it. One was I really like the m/t and how smooth the shifting it. It's just crazy nice. However, I wanted at minimum two things on the cx-5 (moonroof and backup camera) and both were not offer with the base sport. I did test drove the 2.0 in automatic and m/t. M/T was really fun and nice but too much shifting for me. My hand was shifting all the time because anything under 3000 to 4000rpm was very weak. The 2.0 auto was the same. Not saying the 2.5 is any speed racer but that extra horses/torque was felt at lower rpm. It's got a bit more "butt" ooomph.

Recognized their lot. I also bought my CX from them (through David). Going to see how their service department is on Monday morning as I have scheduled a warranty service for rattles.

Hello all...

8) I bought the all season mats (it's not bad but gotta figure out what to do with the dead pedal because it's not covered).

21) When driving at night, the rear view mirror looking to the back seems very dark. Maybe because I am not used to tinted rear (suv).

29) Is the 3rd brake light led? I don't think so.
First of all, best of luck with the new ride!

Today I just covered the carpeted dead foot pedal with 4" vinyl trim molding that I picked up in Lowes for under $2 and attached it with some velcro tape. Do a search on the forum and you'll see how it looks.

The rear view mirror is auto dimming so if it's too dark for you, you can turn off the auto dimming feature on the mirror.

The seats do get warm, just not really hot. Enough to take the chill off your butt!

The 3rd brake light is LED, so says the OM.

Recognized their lot. I also bought my CX from them (through David). Going to see how their service department is on Monday morning as I have scheduled a warranty service for rattles.

Nice guys in the service department.

3) TomTom is alrite but the whole GPS is just slow. Compared to my Galaxy S3 phone. Entering addresses took forever.

You might find a pairing issue with Bluetooth and the S3. I have an S2 Skyrocket and will be swapping it out for an iphone since it doesn't reconnect each time you start the car.

You might find a pairing issue with Bluetooth and the S3. I have an S2 Skyrocket and will be swapping it out for an iphone since it doesn't reconnect each time you start the car.

We have zero issues having a Note 2 (stock ROM) staying connected.

First of all, best of luck with the new ride!

Today I just covered the carpeted dead foot pedal with 4" vinyl trim molding that I picked up in Lowes for under $2 and attached it with some velcro tape. Do a search on the forum and you'll see how it looks.

The rear view mirror is auto dimming so if it's too dark for you, you can turn off the auto dimming feature on the mirror.

The seats do get warm, just not really hot. Enough to take the chill off your butt!

The 3rd brake light is LED, so says the OM.

Nice guys in the service department.

Cool. Thanks.

Just found that knob to adjust brightness for the dash. Is there only 3 settings (very dim, normal, bright)? That little knob/stick seems like you can keep on twisting but I can only see 3 settings.

Also, does the muffler/tip makes alot of vibration when idling? I realized that yesterday and especially at night. At time, it vibrates a lot and a bit noisy.

Anyone of the forum uses a "blind spot mirror add-in"? I know it defeats the purpose because my car already has the BSM. Today, it was going off while I was driving past a guard rail again. It's useful in a way but distracting as well. I have to see how accurate it is. So it may sound dumb, but I stick on a blind spot mirror today. Maybe I am old school. I noticed the CX-5 mirror is angled in much more than my previous cars.

So far I am liking it. 2 days, I've driven almost 100 miles.

I actually updated the firmware on my TomTom SD card through my TomTom account, in addition to uploading a more up to date map (you get a one free update up to I think 60 or 90 days after you purchase your car) and it's been running like a champ no issues. Also with the update you can load the option for locations of the red light camera so that you get the warning when you are close to one

5) When I have the key in my pocket and walk out of the car while it's still running. It warns me something about "key" out of range. Is that normal?
Yes it will beep when the key fob is out of range that's normal

13) Does 2014 not come with that sky blue "Engine" Cover anymore? Mines is black.
2.5L engine comes with the black engine cover.

23) Surprise not even a slot anywhere for like coins.
Yeah I noticed that also, might have to keep a small chance bag in the glove box but a lot of parking spots as moving to Muni-meters that take credit cards

26) It was raining earlier and at night, the reverse camera was a bit foggy and hard to see. I guess that's normal.
Noticed that also it does seem the camera lens does get some water on it when it rains.

27) I think there was live traffic on GPS before. I am assuming that's trial for a few months.
The live traffic should be lifetime

It does get warm drove from City Island to Long Island and it was toasty.

I actually updated the firmware on my TomTom SD card through my TomTom account, in addition to uploading a more up to date map (you get a one free update up to I think 60 or 90 days after you purchase your car) and it's been running like a champ no issues. Also with the update you can load the option for locations of the red light camera so that you get the warning when you are close to one

So was it a painless upgrade?

The live traffic should be lifetime

Really??????????????

Back