Got a CX-3 or thinking of getting one?

I was thinking about getting one, but the jump to the CX-5 wasn't that much more and I get a ton more space so I went with the CX-5. In addition, it also gets fully independent suspension all the way around.

I'm very curious to know if any CX-5 owners also own a CX-3 or are thinking of purchasing one...Because if you have one or are in the market, I'd really appreciate it if you posted in our relatively new but lonely CX-3 section which has just been expanded!

Have a look and post your CX-3 thoughts, concerns, praise, questions etc...Thanks! :D

Section Link: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?551-Mazda-CX-3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely not. As it stands, I have a hard time justifying my CX-5 except for the fact that the added ground clearance over a car is nice. Otherwise, it doesn't really offer anything a car doesn't, and gets worse mileage and handles worse to boot. The CX3? I just see no point in it. My next vehicles will all either be smaller, or larger than the CX-5, depending on the purpose. The CX-5 hangs out in "no-man's land" for me, pretty much, and the CX3 is in "what 'tard buys that?" territory.

YMMV, these are just my opinions and perceptions.

CX-3 is too small for most people's taste in the US. It has some newer features than CX-5, such as active driving display, better sound quality on Bose audio system, and better heated seats, but smaller size will affect its sales greatly. People would get bigger Mazda3 instead of CX-3 unless they really want AWD.

Otherwise, it doesn't really offer anything a car doesn't, and gets worse mileage and handles worse to boot.

I'm quite tall (6'-04") and I notice a HUGE difference in the way it fits my body compared to any sedan or hatchback I've been in. The CX-5 is, to me, like a car is to someone who is 5'-08". Even a big sedan with good ground clearance like my Volvo S80 T6 feels real low when I get in/out and I have to watch my head to avoid banging it on the roofline, no chance of that with the CX-5! Bicycles come in sizes to fit your body and so do cars!

Other advantages I notice:

Better MPG, especially in city traffic. Hwy MPG still beats the Volvo by a good margin (33-34 MPG HWY vs. 28-30 MPG for the Volvo). The Volvo is FWD and aerodynamic and it still can't match the efficiency built into the CX-5.

More trunk space for large items like pressure washers, outdoor packs/gear, large multi-day coolers, chairs, work benches, BBQ's, lamps, etc, etc. etc. This is a huge difference for me. The Volvo has a huge trunk for a sedan and the rear seats are 40/20/40 but it is more difficult to load bulky/heavy items due to the lower trunk lip and much less height. In the CX-5 bulky/heavy items go straight in.

High speed handling goes to the Volvo by a small margin but the CX-5 feels more sporty, gives better driver feedback on icy roads and is more nimble on the types of roads I use the most. It dodges potholes better and soaks up bigger bumps on roads in poor condition better. The "fun" award goes to the Mazda.

Parking. The CX-5 is very easy to park in tight spaces vs. a car of comparable useable interior volume.

I still like sedans for long trips without bulky cargo but a CUV like the CX-5 has a lot more going for it vs. a car than just more ground clearance!

My wife is considering one. She is coming out of a MINI Clubman so the size will actually a bit bigger. The bad thing is, she likes it in Soul Red so it will be parked next to my Soul Red CX5.

The CX-3 cargo volume is seriously small.
I prefer a Mazda 3 in every respect. If Mazda was selling the 3 AWD, it would be ideal.

Better MPG, especially in city traffic. Hwy MPG still beats the Volvo by a good margin (33-34 MPG HWY vs. 28-30 MPG for the Volvo). The Volvo is FWD and aerodynamic and it still can't match the efficiency built into the CX-5.

Not the new S80 with the 2.0L engine that is rated at 37 MPG on the highway

More trunk space for large items like pressure washers, outdoor packs/gear, large multi-day coolers, chairs, work benches, BBQ's, lamps, etc, etc. etc. This is a huge difference for me. The Volvo has a huge trunk for a sedan and the rear seats are 40/20/40 but it is more difficult to load bulky/heavy items due to the lower trunk lip and much less height. In the CX-5 bulky/heavy items go straight in.

Agree on that.

High speed handling goes to the Volvo by a small margin but the CX-5 feels more sporty, gives better driver feedback on icy roads and is more nimble on the types of roads I use the most. It dodges potholes better and soaks up bigger bumps on roads in poor condition better. The "fun" award goes to the Mazda.

Parking. The CX-5 is very easy to park in tight spaces vs. a car of comparable useable interior volume.

I still like sedans for long trips without bulky cargo but a CUV like the CX-5 has a lot more going for it vs. a car than just more ground clearance!

I'm very curious to know if any CX-5 owners also own a CX-3 or are thinking of purchasing one...Because if you have one or are in the market, I'd really appreciate it if you posted in our relatively new but lonely CX-3 section which has just been expanded!

Have a look and post your CX-3 thoughts, concerns, praise, questions etc...Thanks! :D

Section Link: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?551-Mazda-CX-3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with CX5 as the cost difference does not justify the size difference. In other words, in order for me to sacrifice on size I would have considered CX3 if it was cheaper by at least couple of thousand more.
Many, like me want a SUV for long drives where more luggage is involved and interiors are more spacious. Thus, CX5 beats CX3. Then like my wife's friend who prefers driving SUV as she feels more secure - CX3 may make more sense. But here again - that same person choose CX5 since (a) the infotainment looked better - more integrated (b) cost difference wasn't much.
To be fair, at least for me - I would have selected CX7 if it was still offered as its bigger than CX5. In fact, I really liked CX9 but with its out-dated engine I dropped it. If it was this year, most probably I would have settled for CX9 over CX5, but never CX3.

Played a bit in a CX-3

The CX-3 cargo volume is seriously small.
I prefer a Mazda 3 in every respect. If Mazda was selling the 3 AWD, it would be ideal.

Just returned from a trip to the dealer (oil chg and fuel filler recall) and had some time to more closely examine a CX-3. Firstly they had a ton of them (relative) and I was drawn to the looks of the CX-3 which was sitting close by a CX-5. I admit I liked it size wise but there were definitely draw backs compared to my own 2015 CX-5 GT! Obviously the CX-5 had a more refined interior BUT the real BIGGIE here was the TINY size of the rear compartment...I mean really small. I would compare it to a car hatchback before a small SUV compartment. :(

After about 15 minutes, I was ready for my own CX-5 and had had enough of the cramped CX-3...( I am only about 5'7 too!) I mean really...Unless as a 2nd auto or a fun-mobile! AND they weren't cheap either! Not wanting to knock the CX-3 since there is obviously a market that Mazda is Tapping!

... the TINY size of the rear compartment...I mean really small. I would compare it to a car hatchback before a small SUV compartment. :(

The Mazda 3 Hatchback has much larger and more usable cargo volume. 20 cu-ft vs 12. The CX-3 has perhaps slightly elevated driving position and can get you AWD. For any other reason, the 3 is superior.

Interesting replies. I thought it was just me who felt that the CX-3 is a solution looking for a problem, but it appears not. When I was in for my last oil change I gave a GT trim CX-3 a thorough lookover, and then my fiancee did the same thing when we were shopping for her Mazda 6. Neither of us were entirely sure where it fits.

- Large families would be better served by the CX-9 which has 3rd row seats.

- Small families would be better served by the CX-5 which has much more rear seat legroom and cargo capacity (the rear seats in the CX-3 seem like a cruel joke).

- Couples and single people would be better served by a Mazda 3/6 unless they really want a CUV and/or AWD.

- If they want a CUV and/or AWD then the CX-5 offers way more space and versatility for very little extra money. For example a Soul Red CX-3 GT with i-ActiveSense carries an MSRP of $29,340 versus a Soul Red CX-5 GT with Tech and iActiveSense at $33,655. That $4,315 difference gets you a more powerful engine, much nicer interior, triple the rear cargo room, and legitimate seating for 4 adults. The tradeoff is marginally lower fuel economy.

But...there's a shoe for every foot and the CX-3 is running close to the Nissan Juke in terms of 2016 YTD sales (both are outsold 4:1 by the CX-5), so there's clearly a demographic for it. I just wish I knew what that demographic is!

Interesting replies. I thought it was just me who felt that the CX-3 is a solution looking for a problem, but it appears not. When I was in for my last oil change I gave a GT trim CX-3 a thorough lookover, and then my fiancee did the same thing when we were shopping for her Mazda 6. Neither of us were entirely sure where it fits.

- Large families would be better served by the CX-9 which has 3rd row seats.

- Small families would be better served by the CX-5 which has much more rear seat legroom and cargo capacity (the rear seats in the CX-3 seem like a cruel joke).

- Couples and single people would be better served by a Mazda 3/6 unless they really want a CUV and/or AWD.

- If they want a CUV and/or AWD then the CX-5 offers way more space and versatility for very little extra money. For example a Soul Red CX-3 GT with i-ActiveSense carries an MSRP of $29,340 versus a Soul Red CX-5 GT with Tech and iActiveSense at $33,655. That $4,315 difference gets you a more powerful engine, much nicer interior, triple the rear cargo room, and legitimate seating for 4 adults. The tradeoff is marginally lower fuel economy.

But...there's a shoe for every foot and the CX-3 is running close to the Nissan Juke in terms of 2016 YTD sales (both are outsold 4:1 by the CX-5), so there's clearly a demographic for it. I just wish I knew what that demographic is!

I agree. It is placed in an odd spot in the line-up. I guess if I lived in the heart of the city where parking spaces are tight and I used the trunk mainly for groceries, than I guess I'd go for it. If I had to choose between the Juke and the CX-3, I would definitely go for the CX-3. At the last autoshow I went to, there was the Honda HRV and man was that little CUV roomy (trunk: 23 cubic ft!!!) and it was priced very similar to the CX-3. I bet if car shoppers saw the difference side by side, and could care less about vehicle dynamics, its pretty obvious what they will choose.

Here's a comparo from awhile back
http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...ng-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-8

Absolutely not. As it stands, I have a hard time justifying my CX-5

The CX3? I just see no point in it.

The CX-5 hangs out in "no-man's land" for me, pretty much, and the CX3 is in "what 'tard buys that?" territory.

As the consensus here states. You are officially the forum troll. Go away and find something better to do with your time. Get a hobby or buy a pet or get a life.

I'm quite tall (6'-04") and I notice a HUGE difference in the way it fits my body compared to any sedan or hatchback I've been in. I can't speak to that, as I'm 5'10.5", but I know 'vette and viper guys that would make you feel short that get along just fine.The CX-5 is, to me, like a car is to someone who is 5'-08". Even a big sedan with good ground clearance like my Volvo S80 T6 feels real low when I get in/out and I have to watch my head to avoid banging it on the roofline, no chance of that with the CX-5! Bicycles come in sizes to fit your body and so do cars!
At 6'4", I'd not really think it such a big deal, honestly. My Grandpa was your height, and drove all sorts of things from a truck to a grand torino to whatever they had in the 40's. Buggies? (LOL)
Other advantages I notice:

Better MPG, especially in city traffic. Hwy MPG still beats the Volvo by a good margin (33-34 MPG HWY vs. 28-30 MPG for the Volvo). The Volvo is FWD and aerodynamic and it still can't match the efficiency built into the CX-5. Honda Accord is pretty darn frugal...I get that the CX-5 has more cargo room, but you can't FIT anything in it. At least, nothing I carry around or travel with. That frustrated me pretty good, realizing that even though I have more space, I dont have enough space for any "big items", if that makes sense. It's like, you can haul a LOT of groceries in the CX-5. But that's about it. No ply-wood, no boards, no multiple dog crates, nothing like that. It's juuuussst out of "no-man's land" in that area, where a few people will need it, but most just THINK they need it, and many need way more, or can do just fine with a car.

More trunk space for large items like pressure washers, outdoor packs/gear, large multi-day coolers, chairs, work benches, BBQ's, lamps, etc, etc. etc. This is a huge difference for me. The Volvo has a huge trunk for a sedan and the rear seats are 40/20/40 but it is more difficult to load bulky/heavy items due to the lower trunk lip and much less height. In the CX-5 bulky/heavy items go straight in. That's a consideration I have not...considered. I consider lifting heavy things fun, but I realize that for people who don't, this is a legit thing.

High speed handling goes to the Volvo by a small margin but the CX-5 feels more sporty, gives better driver feedback on icy roads and is more nimble on the types of roads I use the most. It dodges potholes better and soaks up bigger bumps on roads in poor condition better. The "fun" award goes to the Mazda. It is pretty nimble for an SUV, even though I really consider it more of a car like the Subaru Impreza, considering they are similar in size, interior-wise, just googling "Cargo volume" of each, with a slight edge to the CX-5. That's kindof what I mean, it only has about 10 cubic feet more space.

Parking. The CX-5 is very easy to park in tight spaces vs. a car of comparable useable interior volume. Is it? I think that's perception. For example, my Z06 was smaller than my 370Z, but it felt HUGE in comparison. Maybe that's perception due to the CX5's seating position and short hood.

I don't really think the CX-5 offers anything significant over the Impreza hatch back or similar vehicles except for ground clearance. 5-10 cubic feet more cargo volume in exchange for economy and performance doesn't tip the scale for anyone except emotionally, I'm betting. However...emotions sell cars! Except trucks. Truck buyers want DATA! (Does it have a PTO? How much can it tow? What tongue weight is it capable of supporting? What size are the rims, and will my favorite tire fit them?...all questions I've had to field when I worked the job).

As the consensus here states. You are officially the forum troll. Go away and find something better to do with your time. Get a hobby or buy a pet or get a life.

How about you stop bouncing on my piece big boy? You have continually entered threads I am in just to wheedle at me. If that's not the definition of a forum troll, I don't know what is. Looking back, reading VERY carefully in this thread...that's all I see you've done. Second thread, by the way, that you've wasted band-width playing honorary moderator, pretending that your opinion = a "consensus", and other laughable aggrandizement of your opinions. Quite frankly, It makes me want to post things that I hope offend you. Because you seem weak. And easy to play with. It's a terrible personality trait, I know. Maybe I'll work on it some day.

Last edited:
Quite frankly, It makes me want to post things that I hope offend you. Because you seem weak. And easy to play with. It's a terrible personality trait, I know. Maybe I'll work on it some day.

Wow! Such unflattering honesty.

It's bad enough that you have that kind of personality. To be so flippant about it is troubling on a much more serious level.

Wow! Such unflattering honesty.

It's bad enough that you have that kind of personality. To be so flippant about it is troubling on a much more serious level.

I know. It really is terrible to give someone back a double-dose of their own medicine, no? See, LBear has decided that he is the voice of the forum. He has began speaking for others, even though noone asked him to, noone nominated him, and noone bestowed a moderator title on him. Then he qualifies his statements for them as though he actually polled them, stating his opinions as though they are fact, or committee opinions,etc. Further, he then proceeds to TELL ME what to do, as though he matters in my world, or has any authority what-so-ever. Now, I only did basic psychology, but this is typically what might get diagnosed as a personality disorder of some sort. Since it's not within the scope of my license to diagnose mental disorder, or to provide that service online, I'll leave it at that. However, nor is it incumbent upon me to treat this individual in any way, and so my response is simply to call LBear on being a cocksure idiot with delusions of grandeur. Since I seem to have found a way to strike a nerve with him, I'm slamming that nerve with everything I've got, to drive my point home---because I'm not one for subtlety in some situations. Make sense, Mike? Can't be nice to some people, some of the time...it would just agitate my spirit to do so, lol! The difference between myself, and LBear, is that I'm happy to own who I am. LBear is too holy for that, me thinks.

Back