good tool set?

MSP #167

Im looking to pick up a good tool set, that inclueds metric and standard.....my friend and i went to sears last night to check out what they had and i saw a nice craftsman set on sale for $100 thats normally $150. I think it was 155 pc's. It looked to have everything i needed in it.

Im just curious as to what tool sets you guys have bought. Brand names would help.

This is mostly for working on cars.

Im not looking to spend more than $100.

thanks.

If there is one near you check out Harbour Frieght, they have good tools. No lifetime warranty like Sears and definately not in the same range as Snap-On or Matco or Mac but they have a great value. If you are looking for something with a good warranty then Craftsman is a good deal and they work well. They don't really cut it for daily use in a shop but for home use they are great and don't cost an arm and a leg.

craftsman are cheap and guaranteed for ******* ever. i only have a few snap-on pieces because frankly, craftsman does everything else pretty well.

I'll add onto the craftsman group. Unless you are a pro, you probably don't need anything more than them. I have a HF a couple of miles from my house and I used them for the odd things that I might use once every now and then but don't feel like renting.

Let's put it this way...
I own ONE set of Snap-on tools. It is the .25" Ratchet driver kit and cost a bunch of money... I had to have the wrench repaired twice. It wasnt the fact that it needed repaired, I am pretty harsh on tools, it was trying to get the freaking Snap-on tool guy to call me back letting me know where he was located... then the wait.

I finally gave up and just started buying tools from Sears. Why, because:
A they warrant their sh!t.
B they are cheap.
C they don't drive around the Eastern part of the Country like vagabonds.
D they don't ask you stupid questions, then tell you they cant fix it and this may not be a warranty issue anymore.

-Dean

MSP #167 said:
Im looking to pick up a good tool set, that inclueds metric and standard.....my friend and i went to sears last night to check out what they had and i saw a nice craftsman set on sale for $100 thats normally $150. I think it was 155 pc's. It looked to have everything i needed in it.

Im just curious as to what tool sets you guys have bought. Brand names would help.

This is mostly for working on cars.

Im not looking to spend more than $100.

thanks.

I got the exact same set...It's a great set for an awesome price...and Craftsmen is the best you can buy until you start getting in to stuff pro's use, like snap-on

Yea def wouldnt buy a whole set from HF but things like torque wrench, and other little things i pick them up there. Much cheaper for things that see little use.

dnale said:
I'll add onto the craftsman group. Unless you are a pro, you probably don't need anything more than them. I have a HF a couple of miles from my house and I used them for the odd things that I might use once every now and then but don't feel like renting.

old thread but craftsman's 155pc is on sale again but today is the last day... what do ya'll think about stanley. those are supposedly lifetime warrantied as well

Here's mine...150pc set metric and standard. Crescent tools FTW!
IMG_5421.jpg

IMG_5420.jpg

Last edited:
i personally never bought a set just along the way bought what i needed at the time and over the years i have quite the set of tools i don't even want to think what i have in them and i don't know what i would do if someone took them

Back