good deal for a P5?

jbird79

i am thinking of buying a 2002 P5.. I found one locally with 80,000 miles.. white 5 speed for $7,500.. Is this a safe buy? I'm new in the Mazda world, as I have only owned Honda's... Thanks for your help..

That doesn't seem too bad. What condition's the car in? Get a carfax (not always accurate, but can help...)

If it is an 2002. Test drive the car from a cold start and see if you can get the clutch to chatter. I'd offer $6,000, if they dont like that price there are plenty more P5's in the sea.

Is it white and lowered? tee hee....

jbird79 said:
i am thinking of buying a 2002 P5.. I found one locally with 80,000 miles.. white 5 speed for $7,500.. Is this a safe buy? I'm new in the Mazda world, as I have only owned Honda's... Thanks for your help..
where there any mods made to it?

carfax is a must....lot's of cars will be coming up from flood areas...be careful and know what your buying!

it was a local trade in.. no mods besides window tint.. some lady owned it, and took really good care of it..

just for comparison, i got my 02 p5 (auto) with 38k miles on it for 9500. private seller.

p5power said:
just for comparison, i got my 02 p5 (auto) with 38k miles on it for 9500. private seller.
I bought my 2002 5spd with 14,000 miles on it for $10,500 at a dealership. i think i did ok.

with 80k that sounds fair...i bet you could bo better though.............?

yeah I got another look, and the interior is pretty dirty and worn, they just did a quick scrub job.. I'm lookin at another one tomorrow with 98,000 miles for $6,900.. how does that sound? He said he will come down a little bit, and it's suppose to be super nice.. this one is dark blue with no roof rack..

2003.5 model? That's a lot of miles, but the price doesn't seem too bad...better color too ;). Good luck man.

Ugh, I feel like I got screwed on my deal. I bought a 2002 protege with 77,000 miles for $12,500..has all the extras. Looking at KBB I paid $1,000 more than I should have...oh well. I pretty much got the car for free anyway.

I wish.. it's a 2002.. yeah it is a lot of miles, but I'm kinda on a budget..lol, and miles don't scare me it it's been taken care of...

ya, if it's been taken care of. Generally, if it's a crap hole inside, it's probably a craphole under the hood too........

Did the last owner take off the rack? I thought they were standard on the '02s.

I'm paying about 10.3 for my 02 that had 60K miles when I bought it. But my dealer ship paid my first 2 payments.

jbird79 said:
yeah I got another look, and the interior is pretty dirty and worn, they just did a quick scrub job.. I'm lookin at another one tomorrow with 98,000 miles for $6,900.. how does that sound? He said he will come down a little bit, and it's suppose to be super nice.. this one is dark blue with no roof rack..

i bet you can get hiim down another grand! with that many miles....

i got my 03.5 sport auto for 13k from dealer had 28k miles on it, not a bad deal. If I were u and knew what model car I wanted, just go to dealers in your area and look for p5 trade ins. Since the 3 came out everyone has been trading in the 5s, and you can get a good deal if u search. (thumb)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back