Going Turbo, By Summer of 07

Going Turbo! Soon!

Hey fellow Protege and Protege 5 owners. I recently decided to go turbo by summer of 07. As you know my car is a 2003.5 MP5 The only problem is I'm a Automatic Shifttronic driver " i really wish i bought a manual" So here are my questions

Transmission: How well is it going to hold up, i've been researching that it doesnt hold to well and you cant really punch it until your in 4th gear? Are there ways to make your automatic transmission stronger?

Gas: Again another problem, Is it true most turbo's run on premium? if so since MP3's and MSP EMU's are mapped to use Premium Fuels how do i go about getting my EMU to run this type of Octane fuel. Piggy back?

Engine: Can i run a turbo set-up on stock pistons and cams? honestly, i wouldnt push more then 5-6 PSI.

There are many more questions that i have, but since im so excited even thinking about getting this car turbo'ed i cant really think stright right now. I do want to make this happen. And i think i would be the only Turbo'ed MP5 in Illinois as well.

Updates: FMU is here $70.00

On order:

Gaskets, Bolts and Screws $200.00

Autometer 3 gauge pillar pod $58.99
Autometer 52mm Ultra-Lite Oil Pressure Gauge $57.85
Autometer 52mm Boost gauge $49.99
Autometer 52mm 100 PSI electric fuel pressure gauge $189.33
Flex-A-Lite Transmission Cooler w/ stainless steel mounting brackets $36.85 and $6.00

supposed to come out to $414 thats including shipping for $15.00

So far total has come to: 686.00 out of 2200.00

Last edited:
Transmission: There are many people running turbos on the auto. You just cant push it to hard 5-6psi should be fine on the stock ATX tranny.

Gas: You dont have to remap a car to run 93 octane. You can put it in any car, given the car is a gas engine of course. Protege5's ecu is not mapped to run boost, if you want to go about it the cheap way buy an msp ecu. Or run a piggyback system with a turbo module. ie. MPI. }

Engine: Yes you can run it on stock rods and stock cams, again at 5-6psi you should be fine.

No your not the only turbo p5 in iLL CaptianKRMP5 beat you by a long time :)

MSP ECU won't work in the autotragics, the ECU controls the tranny.

Matthew, good luck with the turbo project! I really wish I had decided to turbo soon after getting on these forums. I've spent enough in N/A mods that I could have already turboed :(

BlakeCTX said:
Transmission: There are many people running turbos on the auto. You just cant push it to hard 5-6psi should be fine on the stock ATX tranny.

Gas: You dont have to remap a car to run 93 octane. You can put it in any car, given the car is a gas engine of course. Protege5's ecu is not mapped to run boost, if you want to go about it the cheap way buy an msp ecu. Or run a piggyback system with a turbo module. ie. MPI. }

Engine: Yes you can run it on stock rods and stock cams, again at 5-6psi you should be fine.

No your not the only turbo p5 in iLL CaptianKRMP5 beat you by a long time :)

how do you run a MSP ECU on a MP5 Auto Tranny? i heard its impossible because the MSP ECU is built for a manual not for a automatic.

Last edited:
Kansei said:
MSP ECU won't work in the autotragics, the ECU controls the tranny.

Matthew, good luck with the turbo project! I really wish I had decided to turbo soon after getting on these forums. I've spent enough in N/A mods that I could have already turboed :(

Thanks, im going to keep this thread open. As i start purchasing pieces im going to update everyone on what i bought and i'll take pics as well, the only thing is my g/f is going to wonder what happened to $1900-2200 (shocked) this is my first car and when i explain what im going to do to the car, im sure she'll get a kick out of it

BlakeCTX said:
lol i was thinking on that one

so your telling me that i can use premium fuel, but my engine really wont be able to take advantage of it? then why do MP3 and MSP engines require premium fuel? will this change when i go turbo?

msp is high compression due to the turbo all turbo cars run high octane. MP3 would need higher octane due to the advanced timing of the ecu's

bigwoofer just blew his engine, hole in the block and all. :(

But yeah, Mark (bazookajoe) has been turboed for over a year at this point I think.

Matthew1785 said:
Thanks, im going to keep this thread open. As i start purchasing pieces im going to update everyone on what i bought and i'll take pics as well, the only thing is my g/f is going to wonder what happened to $1900-2200 (shocked) this is my first car and when i explain what im going to do to the car, im sure she'll get a kick out of it

It'll end up costing you a lot more than that, trust me I know >_<

even with some used parts (200 dollar turbo and other parts) I'm already hitting over 2500. Granted, you won't need to buy the clutch (about 200) and the MSP ECU (250) that I did, but the MPI isn't cheap either.

I think Mark ran the MPI on his car, but he went to an FMU / O2 clamp setup because it was so much simpler.. and he's running like 5psi so the tuning isn't as critical.

BlakeCTX said:
msp is high compression due to the turbo all turbo cars run high octane. MP3 would need higher octane due to the advanced timing of the ecu's

But your saying I could run premium fuel on my car "it wouldnt make a difference im assuming" and it would how do you put it? not drag my engine down?

Kansei said:

even with some used parts (200 dollar turbo and other parts) I'm already hitting over 2500. Granted, you won't need to buy the clutch (about 200) and the MSP ECU (250) that I did, but the MPI isn't cheap either.

I think Mark ran the MPI on his car, but he went to an FMU / O2 clamp setup because it was so much simpler.. and he's running like 5psi so the tuning isn't as critical.

How much horsepower is he adding with 5psi

Kansei said:

whats a MPI, see i still have much to learn! lol and your probably thinking is this guys going to put this together himself? im going to bribe Little Beavis and his buddies from NSNmotorsports to see if we can get this done in a weekend, when the time comes.

BlakeCTX said:
wouldnt it be low compression? cuz ive always heard that turbos require low compression work.

redpr5 said:
wouldnt it be low compression? cuz ive always heard that turbos require low compression work.

Well if the compression is too high with the turbo, you can do some "low compression work" in terms of rods/pistons to counter that.

^gotcha. reason i said that is cuz my friend wants to turbo his 3000gt, but factory compression is 10:1 (which with a turbo would probably blow the block)
so hes gotta lower his compression to at least 8.5:1

MPI is a piggyback system used for our cars, mostly when we go turbo.
I would also recomend upgrading the torque converter to prevent slipping under power whihch will help prevent overreving and blowing your engine.

And you are crazy if you think you can turbo your car under $3000
unless you do most of the installation yourself, then you can do it for $2500+

Last edited:
Back