GI: Cheap IM Upgrade

jeffmsp

Contributor
:
2003 MazdaSpeed Protege
My buddy has been fabbing me an intake manifold to compare against the 626 IM when I go to the dyno in the next few weeks. What is nice about the design is that it has a removable plenum that can be swapped out for street/track driving so you can keep your powerband where you want it for DD and still have crazy top end if you wanna go to track on the weekend.

If there is enough interest AFTER the dyno results I will move to authorized vendor status and start a group buy and make a nice donation to mazda forums for all the great work they do for us.

Specs are: runner length 11 inches
Runner diameter: same as stock (can be enlarged by porting if you feel its needed but not done by us, done by the buyer)
VCTS: deleted
VICS: reused. Can be removed but we dont think it will be a restriction with the new design.
Plenum volume: The kit will come with 4 plenum size options. The plenums can be changed at any time quite easily. I am estimating that 99% of buyers will have NO USE for the larger plenums at all as most of us use our cars as a DD and want to retain low end power (to give you an idea how oversized they are hold up a 2L bottle of coke to the 626 IM plenum and you will laugh your head off) but I would like to keep them as an option for those who have put in the time and need a large plenum for their high boost drag applications. I dont even know if I should bother dyno testing the larger plenum as the tests will be done on a stock ECU and they will be completely oversized for a stock motor/turbo but like I said it will be an option that people can get if they are interested. I dont want to leave anyone out. I will then send out a free IM to someone with a MT or Haltec and let them see what the IM can do on a tuned, built application.

Fuel: rail fits into stock position, no need to change anything fuel rail / injector / harness related
Material: SS
throttle body: stock, almost the exact stock location.Stock pipe seem to mate fine with it last night when I mocked er up
vac ports: Brake booster port + 5 on the built in vac block on lower rear of manifold (keeps the engine bay looking nice and clean)
EGR: None supported. This is for "off road use only"
Yes, you will get a cel. If thats a problem for you then this isnt the manifold for you. Go with the 626 IM and protegegarages EGR pipe kit instead and be smog legal.

Price: *removed*

Please keep in mind this is a GI thread. If I can get ~20 people interested in a
group buy than we can begin production in batches of 20 at a time. (first a GB, then 1 at a time sales)

No money will be collected until all 20 are made and sitting here beside me ready to ship.

So let me know if there is interest, I will check back in a few days when I am done my business trip.

Thanks, jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
mod can you please move to engine, performance and forced induction msp sub section, thanks.

Latest posts

Back