Getting new HU, possibly amp, need help

SallySpeed3

:
GT Mazdaspeed3, Cosmic Blue
Hey guys, I'm going to be ordering a new HU for my 08 speed3 with Bose cause the 6 cd changer sucks and randomly stopped working. CDs are stuck in there and won't eject. Anyway, I've been looking on crutchfield. Looking to get a double-din, only problem is alot of the ones I want don't include the "sub preamp output". I'm assuming I need a HU that has that because I have a pair of JL 10's in the back with an eclipse amp mounted to the rear seats. I found the Pioneer AVH3200DVD so I think thats what I'm going with. I've also thought about upgrading the amp cause I hear thats the other big downfall of the bose system. How hard of an install is that? What obstacles would I run in to? Or is it as simple as unplugging the old and replugging into the new? I know next to nothing about audio/wiring stuff so any help is appreciated.

I would like to know too.. only things I've complained to the dealership has been the stereo. Like I want the sound that you get after level 35 all the time! I can't go to that loud with the radio or CD but with my iPhone hooked up to it I can and it sounds great.

So if anyone has upgraded/changed out this system please do tell! :D

AFAIK if you're keeping the bose speakers/amp installed then you won't need a stereo with preamp outputs as the bose system runs off of regular speaker level inputs. besides your current stereo doesn't have pre-amp outputs and you have an amp connected to the current stereo.

As far as replacing goes it's sort of plug and play..... sort of. Assuming you make no changes in how the speakers/amps are wired up then you'll need the new HU, a dash install kit and a wiring harness pigtail. If you're buying through crutchfield I believe they include the harness with any stereo purchase. You connect the pigtail wiring to the wiring that comes with the new stereo (solder, butt connectors, etc.). Then you just plug one end of it into the stereo and the other end into the car's wiring so that you don't have to cut anything. As someone who's had to clean up after a previous owner butchered a stereo harness I highly recommend one of these.

Sorry for not checking back on here, been real busy, but thanks for the replies. I ended up going with just a new HU, Pioneer 3300BT with the install kit from shokits.com Had some wiring issues at first, now I just can't get the freaking radio to get a signal, I'm assuming I don't have the antenna wire connected properly. But for now I'm extremely happy with it. The stock speakers aren't that bad really. I'm able to get lots of sound at only setting 10 on the HU and it no longer sounds muddy and distorted. And since the headunit does have sub preamp outputs I yanked out whatever it was that best buy used for the sub install and plugged the rcas right into the back, here are some pics.

Tore this out, Best buy had some of the wires tapped into my rear lines
38827024028_large.jpg

Here it is all together. The silver finish looks perfect with the windows down. Oddly enough though, with natural sunlight its way more shinier than stock and has almost a purple look to it, oh well. Sure looks better than the flat black metra kit crutchfield would have sent me.
38827024029_large.jpg

38827024031_large.jpg

We have the same hu
Think i like your inst kit, i did the scoz in p black
Likin the phone tie in ?

haha, I guess that whats the mic is for? I didn't even bother reading through the owners manual before the install cause I was so anxious to actually listen to music again. Once I find another free day and I'll go back in and finish everything.

thats awesome, I did get my phone with a bluetooth earpiece but I dont even use it or know where it is. How does the phone connect to the stereo? I'm sure this is all in the owners manual buuuut while you're here.....haha

Good choice. I have the 2300. I hope you didnt get it from crutchfield though because although they are cheaper than most places. There are many places where you can get it for much cheaper, same with much other car audio equipment. Looks good though.Hope you enjoy as much as i enjoy mine.

Back