Gauge Cluster Lights

Koyote03MSP

:
2003 MazdaSPEED Protoge Black Mica
The lights on the left side of my cluster are going or partially gone. I can barely read the gas / temp gauges at night. Anybody know how to replace these? Also is it possible to replace them so it is Blue instead of red?

Thanks

I had to replace several of the bulbs already. There are big ones and small ones for the gages. I will see if I can find the info on the bulb numbers and post it here. I used the instructions for the Dave B rings to get inside of the cluster.

there is a screen printing of orange on the back of the gauges and the bulbs have little red/orange "condoms" on them to give even more color. you can pull the condoms off and make the gauges more of a light orange but in order to get a blue light you need to take the gauges apart carefully, cut some plastic off the back and sand off the orange ink. someone has done it to his msp before but im not daring enough to do so.

im not daring enough either to do that. lol But the bulb info would be a huge help thanks guys!

oh i think 168 for the lights for the speedo (theres two) and 74? maybe for the tach and fuel/temp. one on either side.

i tried some LEDs for the lights but they dont have the same 360 degree output as bulbs so i returned them and went for standard lighting.

It would depend on the LED, if they are the original LED, then they look like small bulbs, but they have these new one that are super small. LEDs usually are used as idicator lights (to tell you when something is active) Power light etc. They most likely need a rective surrounding (like the one you see in a maglite flashlight) to concentrate the beams.

FAQ-Various%20LED%20Types.jpg

Last edited:
They make LEDs as replacements for automotive bulbs, you need two 194 and two 74 bulbs.

Back