Gas mileage question

Gio - I can't see how you're getting 34-35mpg with an AWD GT??? Especially doing city and suburban driving... I do mostly suburban driving and with the same car as you I'm getting around 28.5. Are you sure???

Gio - I can't see how you're getting 34-35mpg with an AWD GT??? Especially doing city and suburban driving... I do mostly suburban driving and with the same car as you I'm getting around 28.5. Are you sure???

Yes, my "avg" on dash since day 1 in first 4500 miles is 27.6 mpg, city/suburban driving.

I've had 3 fill ups so far and am only averaging 23.5mpg with mostly suburban driving. Hopefully I can get a little more.

I'm averaging about 32 according to the pump but the dash average is 33.6. Most of my miles are freeway rush hour traffic and the rest suburban driving. I have yet to take a longer highway road trip.

Hello World! First Post...

I bought my CX-5 in April but had to travel out of the country for work :( so she's been sitting in the garage for a month! Been driving it since I'm back, at abt 700 mil now mostly city and getting 26.4. Looking for a chance to do some highway pretty soon and see those 30s.

Overall good experience so far with pick up, I use the semi-automatic quite a bit from stop lights which helps to overcome the 155 hp. More to come.

Alwin

Took a trip from Atlanta to Birmingham this past weekend, arriving in Birmingham I was up to 38.1mpg on the trip computer. After returning home and filling up I calculated 32.5 mpg with 90% highway, 10% rural. It rained on my way home, not sure if that affects anything or not.

so I was like a lot of you, thinking the first or second tank would be in the 27-28mpg for the tank average especially with me behaving with the throttle during the break-in period. First two tanks were both calculated on Fuelly as 25.8 (kinda odd to be exactly the same) and the third tank was 28.7 - Yay!!. On this recent 4th tank, I actually wondered if I had broken the Fuel Gauge - LOL! I reset my tripometer at each filling so i looked at the trip miles and saw I had gone almost 80 miles and the fuel gauge had not moved off of FULL. As of this writing, the trip miles is at 300miles and the fuel gauge shows just under half a tank (computer says range to empty is estimated at 150 miles). It will be quite exciting if on only my fourth tank of gas I reach the 400 mile mark for a tank. This 4th tank is around the time various people say is the break-in period for the CX-5 and if this jump in mileage is any indicator, be patient. As for driving conditions, I live in Tampa so I have mostly flat roads, a couple bridges over the bay to climb, and typical rush hour traffic to navigate each day. Cheers!!

Our Touring auto 2wd did 28.8 mpg avg (via the vehicle computer) for the first complete tank. I reset the computer at fillup. Overall it's a good start. Lots of highway driving.. probably 70-30 ratio.

Curious to see how 2nd tank does. My wife is the primary driver and she drives it very easy.. for now she's keeping it under 70 on the highways till we have over 600 total. For now the car has about 360.

Last edited:
That's great numbers hollis!, I'm a very aggressive driver both city and highway and I'm averaging at around 34-35. That is incredible. Mazda got it right with the CX-5, I can see this car being the leader in the CUV market real soon.
I have the same model as you and I'm averaging 24.4MPG, or 9.5L/100kms. I admit I drive at or above the limit, but 34-35 doesn't seem right...if it is, what is your secret?

I have the same model as you and I'm averaging 24.4MPG, or 9.5L/100kms. I admit I drive at or above the limit, but 34-35 doesn't seem right...if it is, what is your secret?

Nevermind those numbers I put up, they were mostly on the highway and they dipped down as I drove more and more to around 25.6 :) that is what i currently see on the display. At the time I put that up I did not even have 100 miles on the car.

I am getting TERRIBLE GAS MILEAGE. i am having to fill up every 8 days! It says im only averaging 24.5mpg on the dash when minimum im supposed to get is 26... i should be averaging about 28mpg but im not! I have already filled up 4 times and im only at 850 miles on the odometer. Not happy with the mpg on my car. 85% city 15% highway driving for me. When i fill up my car it says my RANGE is 386 miles and it only gives like 213 miles...

Probably has to do with how you're driving it, you sound as if no matter what you do you won't dip below 26mpg ... that's not how it works.

Plus, 85% city driving, in Houston, I bet you're using the AC alot, stuck in traffic, etc. It's obviously going to affect your overall mpg.

I am getting TERRIBLE GAS MILEAGE. i am having to fill up every 8 days! It says im only averaging 24.5mpg on the dash when minimum im supposed to get is 26... i should be averaging about 28mpg but im not! I have already filled up 4 times and im only at 850 miles on the odometer. Not happy with the mpg on my car. 85% city 15% highway driving for me. When i fill up my car it says my RANGE is 386 miles and it only gives like 213 miles...

It really depends on your driving habits and path of travel. Lots of stop and go short commutes will yield terrible mileage on any car. Also depends how fast you accelerate etc.

For comparisons, my wife travels about 3-4 miles to work. All stop signs the whole way stop and go, stop and go. Car barely ever warms up. Shes getting at best 19 mpg in her 2012 kia sorento gdi which is rated at 22 city. When I take it on my commute of longer stretches of stop lights I can get that car upto 30-32 mpg.

Remember city is average city. It is likely people will get worse than that, just like the highway mpg is average and it is likely others will get better than it.

Also, it depends on the fuel you are putting in the car. If your using corn gas you will get worse mpg.

Also part 2, its been warm lately. Stop and go with AC on will be worse mpg.

Lastly, your car is still braking in. Give it some more time.

The 28 combined EPA gas mileage rating is based on 55% city driving, not the 85% city driving that you do. With the high percentage of city driving that you do, the mileage is close to city rating for awd GT's and not unexpected.

Last edited:
Running a smidge over 26 mpg... that includes a couple miles of freeway but almost exclusively city driving. Part of that city driving is up an incline. Touring FWD. That's over three fill ups. I didn't do fuelly for my freeway trips but was getting around 30mpg.

Approaching 1300 miles on the clock. Average for all that (I am not going to reset my avg mpg meter) is 29.5MPG. Last fill-up was 29.74mpg.
I have the 6spd manual fwd, drive 75% Hwy, 25% City.
On the Highway I keep it between 75-80mph (Florida's turnpike is a pretty straight boring toll road).
In the city, I dont drive like a slouch, but I do respect the speed limits.

I'm realistic about mileage expectations, and I am happy with this. If I slowed down on the hwy I could get 30+, but then even the truck drivers would pass me swearing obscenities in spanglish lol.

80% Highway - I'm getting indicated 33.5 mpg - amazing!! I don't really baby it either.

Edit: just filled up today - 33.5 indicated - 31.0 mpg calc art pump - FWIW

Last edited:
i just picked up my fully loaded awd A/T on monday and im averaging 30.9 mpg. loving it. traded my 2007 cx7 2wd which was getting about 19mpg, so very pleased with this new one!!

My CX5 touring FWD is truly averaging 30 mpg in the city. I'm a little over 1,000, think I'm at 1,300 right now. I'm not an aggressive driver at all though. Very pleased with the mileage.

Back