Front Right Suspension Crunching

I've had the creak in front and the crunching sound at the rear. My dealer fixed the front but not the rear. Here's what they said in their report:

a. Check creak from front suspension
Cause: Noisy
Replace front stabilizer link
Lubed sway bar bushings some noise still there e mailed tac told us to
lube stabilizer bar bushings as well noise gone

b. Check creaking from right rear suspension
No fault found

c. Mostly right side over speed bumps
included in above operation

***End of report

They're still scratching their heads about the crunching noise at the rear. I'll give then another two weeks then I'll bug them again.

Last edited:
perfecto said:
Antonio - what did they actually replace, from the service invoice?

Sorry Perfecto, I forgot to answer that question. :)

Here is a PDF of the receipt. Sorry for the rudimentary doc. I wanted to post it quickly.

As luck would have it I hit a pothole with the volume of a basketball last night. The sound was horrible. I did a quick check of my tires and rims and everything seemed OK. I'll know more this am, in the light, and when I drive it on the highway. Experience tells me that the sound is always worse than the actual effect. Still if it's not one thing it's another.

Attachments

• Mazda 5 bushing work.pdf
    769.4 KB · Views: 477
from a canadian perpective I know Mazda is working on a fix for this issue. I havent heard of an "official" fix for the creaking in the front. I recall hearing a replacement of lower control bushing but still waiting to hear.......

My noise is gone and can't explain why.

The front end noise I'm experiencing seems to be very sporadic. Thanks Antonio for a list of the parts and work they did - it will certainly help me explain what's going on.

isda65 said:
I've had the creak in front and the crunching sound at the rear. My dealer fixed the front but not the rear. Here's what they said in their report:

a. Check creak from front suspension
Cause: Noisy
Replace front stabilizer link
Lubed sway bar bushings some noise still there e mailed tac told us to
lube stabilizer bar bushings as well noise gone

b. Check creaking from right rear suspension
No fault found

c. Mostly right side over speed bumps
included in above operation

***End of report

They're still scratching their heads about the crunching noise at the rear. I'll give then another two weeks then I'll bug them again.

Who's your dealer isda65? Mine is Pacific Mazda in Victoria.

isda65 said:
Morrey Mazda of the Northshore
North Vancouver, BC

I pick mine up tommorow from Morrey Mazda of the Northshore. Glad to hear you've made them aware of the issue and they have attended to it. How's the service been? I only know VW service as that's all I've ever owned.

mazdaFIVEmike said:
The front end noise I'm experiencing seems to be very sporadic. Thanks Antonio for a list of the parts and work they did - it will certainly help me explain what's going on.

No problem. You're welcome :)

creek is still gone from them taking off the bushings and lubing them about a month ago. Not been as cold though and she stays garaged here. you guys are farther north than I am, im guessing it is somewhat cold related.

theweev said:
I pick mine up tommorow from Morrey Mazda of the Northshore. Glad to hear you've made them aware of the issue and they have attended to it. How's the service been? I only know VW service as that's all I've ever owned.

When you pick up your 5 check closely for the following:
1. When you start it up does the car vibrate? Take note about it when the engine is still cold and start it again after you have driven it for a while. Usually the vibration is worse when the engine is warm. Do you hear a loud metallic noise when you crank it up?
2. Drive it over speed bumps, tall ones. The suspension noise won't manifest itself in the smaller ones.
3. Do you hear a whistling noise when you rev the car?
4. Check if the car drifts.
5. When you shift to reverse listen for unusual noise.
6. Test the sliding doors for noises.
7. Check all fluids.

I can't really say whether Morrey Northshore is good. Customer courtesy is a B+. They always wash and vacuum the car after every service or checkup. I rate their technical expertise as C.

isda65 said:
When you pick up your 5 check closely for the following:
1. When you start it up does the car vibrate? Take note about it when the engine is still cold and start it again after you have driven it for a while. Usually the vibration is worse when the engine is warm. Do you hear a loud metallic noise when you crank it up?
2. Drive it over speed bumps, tall ones. The suspension noise won't manifest itself in the smaller ones.
3. Do you hear a whistling noise when you rev the car?
4. Check if the car drifts.
5. When you shift to reverse listen for unusual noise.
6. Test the sliding doors for noises.
7. Check all fluids.

I can't really say whether Morrey Northshore is good. Customer courtesy is a B+. They always wash and vacuum the car after every service or checkup. I rate their technical expertise as C.

Thanks isda65, Mazda Victoria has been quite good checking into all my little complaints - especially about noises - those damn rattles!!

Performance Mazda in Ottawa (Orleans) has heard the front suspension graunch in mine and put sway bar bushings on order. Weather is warming up and my noise is reduced, but still there over big bumps, especially 2-wheel bumps like speedbumps; less so over 1-wheel bumps like potholes, etc. I will post my impressions after new bushings are installed, but the weather is getting much warmer and that seems to be a factor too.

5thAve said:
Performance Mazda in Ottawa (Orleans) has heard the front suspension graunch in mine and put sway bar bushings on order. Weather is warming up and my noise is reduced, but still there over big bumps, especially 2-wheel bumps like speedbumps; less so over 1-wheel bumps like potholes, etc. I will post my impressions after new bushings are installed, but the weather is getting much warmer and that seems to be a factor too.

Hey 5thAve...
Can you keep me posted. I have the same problem too. I plan to have Performance Mazda do the same thing at my next oil change.

Suspension Creaks

Hi Guys,
This is my first post on your forum......I'm a 5 owner from Calgary, Alberta(that's in Canada eh?).
Anyway, I took my 5 into the dealership for the suspension creaks and they advised that the sway bar bushings have to be replaced.......The problem is that they're on back order from Japan and don't anticipate getting them until JUNE 2006!!!!!
Thank goodness this wasn't a critical problem.....Mazda needs to do something to improve the availability of parts for the 5.
Regards,
Anthony

Last edited:
Our M5 does make a sort of squeeking noise when the shocks depress after going over large bumps/speedbumps in cold weather...It's been raining here a lot in the Bay Area lately and temperatures have dropped dramatically in the evenings and night hours...However, during the day the drive is fine with no noises to speak of...

We took the car out today to test out the front end for grinding noises...I drove around the city to various locations to test out speedbumps, driveways, potholes, and uneven pavement...We even drove it through various bumps and road conditions later on this evening as the temperatures dropped again...We heard the rear squeek once, and still nothing from the front end...We really tried to push it over larger bumps too to get a sound out of it (windows down and all), and heard nothing but the shocks let out the usual air hiss they normally do...Our M5 drives straight as ever to boot!!!

Fortunately for us we seem to have gotten one of the really good ones and the temperatures don't tend to fall as low as they do this time of year for very long...My condolences to those experiencing the noise issues coming from the suspension...I hope you can all get your cars fixed up and the problems solved ASAP :D

Arghhh - just about to roll 4900 miles and this has started. Chilly morning today, hit the dip at the end of my street and heard a horrible crunching noise. Bad enough the kids noticed. Then another dip into the school parking lot and it happened again. Guess I'll read this whole thread and talk to the service department when I head in for my oil change next week.

I was in for my 2nd regular service today and mentioned the crunching sound and the talk of Mazda redesigning the parts.... and my service guys knew nothing about it. They also could not find anything wrong - and of course today was 15-17 degrees C. (60-63F) so even I couldn't hear it. At least its on the report. I'm sure it will only get worse. Thanks to everyone in this thread for their experiences!! Very helpful.

Back