Front Right Suspension Crunching

Of course I take it in and the service guy takes me for a ride and we go hard over bumps and there's no noise. So, there is a pattern obviously rather than just routine noise. I'll have to pay attention and see when the noise seems to happen. I do think that both times I heard the noise it had rained, tho can't recall exactly.

Any new updates on this ? Anyone have a link to the official TSB ? I've started to hear the clunk up front in our 5 too.
TIA

Suspension Crunch

2cam16 said:
Any new updates on this ? Anyone have a link to the official TSB ? I've started to hear the clunk up front in our 5 too.
TIA

Take it to the dealer, they will replace the bushings...They're made of plastic and make this noise when the temp is cold. I had mine replaced in March 2006 and have the same problem pop up again this winter. Taking it back on Tuesday for them to replace the bushings again....It's covered under warranty.
Anthony

Suspension noise and sliding door locks

I had a the same problem and went into the dealer back in April. They lubricated the bushings but did not replace because apparently there was a similar problem with the Mazda 3s and a permanent fix ie new bushing was being developed, for both the 3 & 5. Fixed the noise for about a month then it was back. I'm anticipating that the bushing you had done in March was not the expected replacement.
Coming in every 6 months to have this replaced is just not acceptable. Anyone know if a permanent fix is available.
On a side note has anyone had their freezing sliding door locks mechanisms replaced. Same story from dealer here, a fix was in the works - both these fixes have been in the works for over 6 months!!!!!

Last edited:
afticarab said:
I had a the same problem and went into the dealer back in April. They lubricated the bushings but did not replace because apparently there was a similar problem with the Mazda 3s and a permanent fix ie new bushing was being developed, for both the 3 & 5. Fixed the noise for about a month then it was back. I'm anticipating that the bushing you had done in March was not the expected replacement.
Coming in every 6 months to have this replaced is just not acceptable. Anyone know if a permanent fix is available.
On a side note has anyone had their freezing sliding door locks mechanisms replaced. Same story from dealer here, a fix was in the works - both these fixes have been in the works for over 6 months!!!!!

The frozen door latch problem is supposed to only affect the GS models that don't have the electric latches. Have yours been freezing?

was98strat said:
The frozen door latch problem is supposed to only affect the GS models that don't have the electric latches. Have yours been freezing?
Absolutely, froze three times last winter, the last time the dealer had relubed the lock but it happened again and left me with a door I could not shut 1200 km from home. Managed to thaw it out but it would not open again until dealer serviced it. Mine is a 2006 GT purchased Aug 2005. Many other forums identify GT owners with the power assist closure as having these same problems.

yep, funny thing is that i just noticed the sound yesterday. It wasnt so much of a large bump as it was a slight abnormality in the road. The suspension really expanded and when contracting thats when i heard the clanking..i heard it twice yesterday and it was a little colder out than usual. 60f

Service Bulletin re Mazda 3 suspension

Anyone had this done with their Mazda5, I understand that the suspension is the same. Perhaps this might be the fix??

Attachments

• mazda3 suspension noise.pdf
    113.1 KB · Views: 316
well its not suprising, if ur the type of person runninf over speed bumps over 40km/h being an idiot, and screwing up your car, then consider it ur own fault. But if ur a type of person who goes over it and a adquet speed for a smooth and over and down then consider urself going to a dealership and getting it fixed.

MazdaUlimited said:
well its not suprising, if ur the type of person runninf over speed bumps over 40km/h being an idiot, and screwing up your car, then consider it ur own fault. But if ur a type of person who goes over it and a adquet speed for a smooth and over and down then consider urself going to a dealership and getting it fixed.
What! Have you missed something. Anyone who has posted here is seeking a solution for a probable design flaw with the Mazda 5 suspension. Take the time to read the posts before you post such an idiotic comment!

Front and back crunch

It just got cold here about 4 days ago and I immediately started noticing the crunching sound from both the front and rear suspension. At first I thought that it was built up snow in the wheel wells, but after I removed it the noise was still there. Then I started to wonder about the new snow tires I had put on, but a thourough check for rubbing showed no problems. Then I found this forum and am starting to feel better about the whole situation. I park in a parkade that has about 10 big expansion joints, so I have had plenty of bumps to test it out. I need to be going over 20 km/hr to really hear the noise. It will then go away after driving for a while. I went to pick up my wife and then drove back to the parkade to test it out with her in the car and voila, no noise.

Knock on wood, I haven't heard the sound in my 2007... yet. The coldest it's been since I've owned it is 31*F I believe (about 0*C), so granted, that's not exactly polar yet. I'm cautiously optimistic. When I test drove a 2006 this past spring (not cold out) it was creaking/groaning big time... not so much over harsh potholes, but more-so dips and inferfections on the road.

I dunno, we'll see what the future holds for the 07's.

afticarab said:
Absolutely, froze three times last winter, the last time the dealer had relubed the lock but it happened again and left me with a door I could not shut 1200 km from home. Managed to thaw it out but it would not open again until dealer serviced it. Mine is a 2006 GT purchased Aug 2005. Many other forums identify GT owners with the power assist closure as having these same problems.

Hey,
My wife reported this problem to me last week. She got someone from her office to help her close the door eventually. I sprayed the locking mechanism with some WD-40 and so far we haven't had the problem recur. Our's is a 2006 GT purchased in January.
Anthony

Ok this is really starting to bother me. I just started noticing the sound on my front left shock too. Mind you i dont hear it everyday but it's starting to happen when i pull into uneven driverways and it's really bothering me. Has anyone else had this fixed yet?

Front Suspension Fix

Here's the latest.
I live in Calgary and it's already pretty damn cold here and so my front suspension started crunching again. I took it to the dealer and the Service manager took it for a test drive with me in the car.
He heard the noise first hand from the front and the back. We went back to his office and he e-mail'ed Mazda Canada with my VIN number and mileage asking them for a fix.
He called me back the next day to say that the upgraded bushings have been ordered and he'll call me when they arrive. I'm not sure when this will occur, however I'll post the part numbers so that you guys can place similar orders.
Hang tight.
Anthony

antlind said:
Hey,
My wife reported this problem to me last week. She got someone from her office to help her close the door eventually. I sprayed the locking mechanism with some WD-40 and so far we haven't had the problem recur. Our's is a 2006 GT purchased in January.
Anthony

NOOOOOOO, don't use WD-40. It dilutes any lubricants that are in there!!
Use Graphite lock grease. All WD-40 will do is wash away what lub was there and allow corrosion to start!!

was98strat said:
NOOOOOOO, don't use WD-40. It dilutes any lubricants that are in there!!
Use Graphite lock grease. All WD-40 will do is wash away what lub was there and allow corrosion to start!!

Oh s****......Ok....I'll look for some graphite grease this weekend and try to undo the damage....Thanks for the heads up man.
Anthony

antlind said:
Oh s****......Ok....I'll look for some graphite grease this weekend and try to undo the damage....Thanks for the heads up man.
Anthony

It's a common mistake. I used ot live on a boat and work on them in my spare time. I've seen first hand what happens to joint "lubricated" with WD-40. They freeze solid in no time.

antlind said:
I live in Calgary and it's already pretty damn cold here and so my front suspension started crunching again. I took it to the dealer and the Service manager took it for a test drive with me in the car.
He heard the noise first hand from the front and the back. We went back to his office and he e-mail'ed Mazda Canada with my VIN number and mileage asking them for a fix.
He called me back the next day to say that the upgraded bushings have been ordered and he'll call me when they arrive. I'm not sure when this will occur, however I'll post the part numbers so that you guys can place similar orders.

Keep complaining if it keeps happening. I've been reporting this for more than a year now.

perfecto said:
Keep complaining if it keeps happening. I've been reporting this for more than a year now.
There is quite a bit more to it. I posted this on another section of the forum, thanks to benfolio for the info. http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2786571&postcount=30 I went to my Mazda dealer and they said Mazda Canada does not have this TSB yet but he is pushing them to recognize the US TSB as a number of owners have this problem. Print out this TSB and take it to your dealer.

Back