front end clunk??

ok my problem solved kinda.

it came from the (aftermarket adjustable) endlink. i took the wheels off yesterday, and when i grabbed the front left endlink and tried to move it back n forth i got the same sound i've been hearing.. i put my ears upclose and the sound comes from the top swivel.

i tried to clean the screws and sprayed lots of WD40, that did nothing. i then realized the right hand side endlink, which doesn't cause that sound, has more visible screw thread on the adjustable part.

so i tried to loose the left hand endlink about 1/4 of a turn. and the sound has reduced to nearly inaudiable. i took a test drive for a few KM, no more annoying squeaking sound.

too bad 3 mechanics couldn't identify this simple problem.. the swaybar bushing does look like need some love, but there is no way to take it off with my few pieces of tools.

if the sound ever come back again, or i feel the driving is affected, i will order a set of OEM endlinks.

thanks all and gl on ur car JSpeed.

Last edited:
PROBLEM FOUND!!!! Sometimes you gotta just go back to basics. I had to bring it back in my shop after dicking around on the forum....i was able to duplicate the noise with car on the ground, steering wheel unlocked, turning to one side and letting it jerk back. With my hand on the tie rod i could feel the play in the inner tie rod!!!! Only $36 bucks from Autopart int'l. HOORAY!!!!

PROBLEM FOUND!!!! Sometimes you gotta just go back to basics. I had to bring it back in my shop after dicking around on the forum....i was able to duplicate the noise with car on the ground, steering wheel unlocked, turning to one side and letting it jerk back. With my hand on the tie rod i could feel the play in the inner tie rod!!!! Only $36 bucks from Autopart int'l. HOORAY!!!!

Was it cracked? What was the failure?

I wouldn't call it a failure, cause the car was still drivable just rattling while turning across a bumpy intersection....it was more of a looseness in the
ball-and-socket type joint where it screws into the steering rack.

what kind a part is it JSPEED, like what would i ask for.. i have the same god damn problem in my 99 protege LX. its so annoying. if i hit ANY kind of light hole/difference in a road, or even a bigger pot hole or somethin, i get the rattling sound for a second. its not cool. and then roads here on Long island suck so i hear it probably 100 times a day. ive almost gotten used to it, but if someone drives with me, they are like.."dude that doesnt sounddd goood"

i pryed on everything to see if there was play, wiggled tires to check tie rod ends/ ball joints too

I don't know about back to basics as you did check it back in July. Anyway glad you fixed it and which side was it drivers or passenger for the tie rod?

Driver's side--it was definitely the wheel that took most of the impact... made my ass jump off the seat when i flew over that bridge joint...lol

Ok, was curious as I have finally solved my rear noises but still get the front end clunk. Sounds like its something on my passenger side and I've never hit any holes or joints. I'll check my tie rods though when its up in the air to replace the drain flange O-ring.

JSpeed, do you happen to have a part number? I'm finding tie rod ends, but no inner tie rods specifically.
I'm pretty sure i have the same thing; I'll be replacing the endlinks too just for good measure (I just put the AWR endlinks on the back)

I went with a MOOG part, a good aftermarket, i'm sorry i threw out the box!! It came out of Georgia---special order, took a few days

Back