FREE MPI help!

MPI removal

Hi

I'm going to get my MSP registered in Norway soon, wish I didn't have to because this is going to be expensive.

My car needs to be stock when I register it. That means that the MPI tuner has to go, at least temporarily. I would think that the wiring harness and the O2 sensor can still be installed in my car, but the box itself has to go.

Only problem is that I didn't install it. Only thing I know about the installation is that it is placed under the floor mat on the passenger side.
I need help to rewire my car to stock ECU. Anyone here know what to do?

thanks

You know it can't be detected with any obdii scanner right?

Since you didnt install it, I dont recommend you trying to bypass certain wires. The instructions are in post 94 in this thread. Completely remove and rewire.

I had my car emissions inspected 3 times and a MD state inspection once and they never knew about it. There is no way you can know its in there unless they visually look at the ECU and see the wiring.

There was a spec racer that had one installed and the officials never knew. That guy had to take it off because he was beating the competiton and no one could figure it out so the next step was to completely go through the entire car to figure out why, so he removed it and lost his edge.....better then having the whole car disassembled.

It's a one hour physical inspection, and when they see the 2 lights by my steering-wheel they are going to check the ECU wiring for sure.

To put it this way; even my factory installed DaveB rings and 5% window tint might cause trouble at the inspection.

Basically I can follow the installation manual found in post 94 and re-attach the cut wires to the original ECU and then remove the MPI, right?

isbre said:
It's a one hour physical inspection, and when they see the 2 lights by my steering-wheel they are going to check the ECU wiring for sure.

To put it this way; even my factory installed DaveB rings and 5% window tint might cause trouble at the inspection.

Basically I can follow the installation manual found in post 94 and re-attach the cut wires to the original ECU and then remove the MPI, right?

I would write down how yours is hooked up now and compare it to what is in that post. You may be O2 tuning which is different, if not, then those instructions will work. You will want the coils O2 and MAF back to stock, the rest is just tapped in.

That makes me glad I don't live where you do......that's a huge PITA to have to be 100% stock for an inspection.

i am looking into getting a turbo and engine management for the turbo...but anyways will my car pass an emissions test without me having to take the mpi out? also this will be my first time using any sort of engine management...how hard is it to do the programming?

Keon1542 said:
i am looking into getting a turbo and engine management for the turbo...but anyways will my car pass an emissions test without me having to take the mpi out? also this will be my first time using any sort of engine management...how hard is it to do the programming?

i passed in MA no problem, no cats either! if you know your way around eng managment systems you'll probably be fine...

whats the going rate for an mpi tuner and where can i get one? new and/or used.

i also remember reading the protege ecu learns around piggybacks...iirc, is there any truth to that with the mpi

Last edited:
I passed emissions twiced in MD and once in AZ with it and no changes done to the MPI.

As long as you don't try to tune in closed loop, the ECU will not learn it. Once you get the settings right, tuning is pretty easy, find out where you need to add fuel and set the switch to kick the car into open loop and put bigger numbers in that area.

The MPI new from MPI is $585. Shoot him an email for more info, mp23cc@aol.com

A i just swap in a -30k motor i got from mazad3online and i can't seem to figure out why my car goes uber rich @ or around 7psi and misfires constantly at full spool 28~35k rpm (as well as randomly when idling but not as much) look at the plugs, ordered some coils though they haven't arrived yet and have no vacuum leaks just can't figure it out for the life of me and i was wondering if the MSP ecu i swapped in is the cause of the fuel cut/misfire the car has about 75k miles on it and everything is hooked and connected. Do i need to look at any of my setting on my mpi to see if the numbers in it are off? the last motor had a main bearing failure. should i get my old DX ecu and try that one? just wanted to see if any one has a clue or idea.

Killer 8 said:
A i just swap in a -30k motor i got from mazad3online and i can't seem to figure out why my car goes uber rich @ or around 7psi and misfires constantly at full spool 28~35k rpm (as well as randomly when idling but not as much) look at the plugs, ordered some coils though they haven't arrived yet and have no vacuum leaks just can't figure it out for the life of me and i was wondering if the MSP ecu i swapped in is the cause of the fuel cut/misfire the car has about 75k miles on it and everything is hooked and connected. Do i need to look at any of my setting on my mpi to see if the numbers in it are off? the last motor had a main bearing failure. should i get my old DX ecu and try that one? just wanted to see if any one has a clue or idea.

Check to make sure your analog out voltage is where it should be, 2-2.08v, then you may need to adjust the fuel where you are going rich. The rest of the map may need to be tweaked because of the different motor and fresh ECU settings.

If the analog out voltage is where it needs to be, then you must have some kind of leak somewehre, do a smoke test to be 100% sure. Every ECU reset will be a little different because of the OBDII, but you should only need minor tweaking.

Oh, is your battery strong? If not, you may want to change it out, if you don't have a consistant voltage to the unit, you will have problems just like with any other EMS. Good Luck

This really depends on which turbo moduole u have but for the maf:

MAF Signal wire Sensor Side to the MPI Tuner wires blue #6, green/yellow #11, black/white #10 and the green Turbo Module wire

MAF Signal wire ECU Side to MPI Tuner wire violet #18

you should have 2 extra wires. one for the map (switch gray) and one for the extra injectors (gray/black).

Last edited:
alexB said:
Well I have installed an used mpi unit yesterday. I am pretty sure it was installed correctly. The car wont start because I am unable to download the base map. The computer is unable to recognize the software in the vehicle. We tried this with several different labtops so it isnt the computer. The only thing I am not positive about was step #3 with wire #88 I believe. And there were also a couple wires left when we were done. Any ideas?

MPI Instructions
#3 Find and cut the #88 wire at the PCM. This is the MAF signal wire.

#4 Install the TM blue wire and the MPI #10 black/white to the #88 wire.

I had a white/black wire no black/white though. And it says to cut the #88 wire but doesnt say what sides to attach the other wires to. We ran both the blue TM and MPI #10 to the engine side of the #88 wire.

Are you using a serail to USB adaptor? If so, is it installed properly, drivers and all? Did you install the software on the laptop? What comm port and do you have the MPI SW set to look at this comm port?

Back