Free custom air intake

Then what about getting CAI?? the air will be cooler than SRI and will travel faster than the custom mod we made.. it's brand is INJEN

What about removing the whole snorkel all together, just leaving the airbox with say a k&n filter in it?

The snorkel almost seems restrictive.

Although, I've never dealt with a car with a Helmholtz resonator in it before. So I could be off, and it could be very helpful, but its kinda weird thinking that putting more restrictions on the airflow will actually help.

What about removing the whole snorkel all together, just leaving the airbox with say a k&n filter in it?

Although, I've never dealt with a car with a Helmholtz resonator in it before. So I could be off, and it could be very helpful, but its kinda weird thinking that putting more restrictions on the airflow will actually help.

Well your right actually, more restrictions, boxes,turns and shapes on the conduct its less help.. i agree on that

Thats why i may get the CAI or make one but still a CAI

Then what about getting CAI?? the air will be cooler than SRI and will travel faster than the custom mod we made.. it's brand is INJEN

The Injen will certainly provide ambient temperature air since the filter is located in the wheelwell outside the engine compartment. However, there's no reason to believe that intake air will travel faster in an Injen than in the modified OEM intake unless the Injen uses smaller diameter tubing. And remember, the air inlet in the modded OEM system is located in a high pressure area whereas the Injen inlet is not.

Removing the snorkel will subject the inlet to hot, underhood air and cause a power loss. Not a good idea. I'm sure the snorkel is restictive, but removing it isn't the answer.

The Helmholtz resonator does not constitute a restriction in the system since it's not inline with the intake air flow. It's connected in bypass mode to the main system. Therefore, removing it will not improve air flow but will cause a loss in low speed torque.

i have an idea get rid ofthe snorkel and get a tube long scoop from any open spot and plug it into the mouth of the airbox

with that option you may either leave the panel filter or put a cone filter in the mouth of the airbox just like this picture

this air tube conduct you can buy it out form pepboys or autozone for 20 bucks, and it is expandable

Attachments

• protege intake.JPG
    protege intake.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 285
This is exatly what i was looking for.. the black panel install it on a opne spot for outside air.. then the orange filter tightit on the airbox mouth!!

thats it!! i think thats gonna work out real good!

thx to Weapon-R for making this air intake adapter :D

Attachments

• weapon r.jpg
    weapon r.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 263
Yes. To remove it, the MAF sensor must first be removed. The mesh, or screen, is a light press fit in the housing. I removed mine using a wooden dowel as a drift. Be very careful not to damage the internal components or you will surely ruin the expensive sensor. If you remove it and then decide to put it back, note that the screen is directional.

Removal gives you a bit more gain, particularly at higher rpms.

You dont worry about getting laminar airflow?

I dont seen my MAF screen as a shield for debris or anything i only see it for helping with the turbulent air. But if others drive fine without it then maybe i will opt for this little mod too.

You dont worry about getting laminar airflow?

I dont seen my MAF screen as a shield for debris or anything i only see it for helping with the turbulent air.

I believe the function of the screen is to maintain the desired laminar flow (and prevent turbulent flow) as the intake air transitions from the air box to the MAF sensor, to ensure an accurate density reading. However, a number of sources have demonstated that removal reduces negative pressure in the intake duct thereby having a positive effect on performance. Additionally, as already stated, and as far as I can determine, I've experienced absolutely no ill effects running with it removed.

I agree with you that the screen is not a debris shield as the openings are large enough to pass objects of sufficient size to damage or destroy the engine.

You might want to try it as the mod is fully reversible. Then, if you find no benefit or note any problems, simply reinstall the screen.

I believe the function of the screen is to maintain the desired laminar flow (and prevent turbulent flow) as the intake air transitions from the air box to the MAF sensor, to ensure an accurate density reading. However, a number of sources have demonstated that removal reduces negative pressure in the intake duct thereby having a positive effect on performance. Additionally, as already stated, and as far as I can determine, I've experienced absolutely no ill effects running with it removed.

I agree with you that the screen is not a debris shield as the openings are large enough to pass objects of sufficient size to damage or destroy the engine.

You might want to try it as the mod is fully reversible. Then, if you find no benefit or note any problems, simply reinstall the screen.

Allright so just get like a wooden stick to pull it out and if i want to put it back in it has to go in the same direction it comes out?

Allright so just get like a wooden stick to pull it out and if i want to put it back in it has to go in the same direction it comes out?

Yes, that's correct. Just make sure that you don't damage any internal components of the MAF sensor and you'll be fine.

Good luck.

Hey guys check this out.. i want to get this weapon r and also add an air hose on the filter and take the other end somewhere that ican get cool air... suggestions?

dude dont take the MAF screen out...it is there for a reason. Im not going to go into a huge explanation as to why you need to have it because there is already a huge thread(Search "MAF") that people went back and forth on endlessly about why its good or bad. Ultimately you want the maf diffusor in there and to anyone who says it doesnt help with debris...read the thread because I personally had my turbo saved from immediate destruction because I decided to keep my MAF honeycomb in. IMO removing the diffusor is one of those mods that people do because they dont have the patience to just wait until they have money to buy performance parts (being over eager is a lot of people's downfall)...removing it does nothing for performance except maybe worsen it. I will not be convinced you get any gain unless a dyno is done (which no one will do because it is ridiculous...but i just dont buy it).

Take the time to save money and buy good quality mods.

Im sorry if I offended anyone who has taken their diffusor out and thinks they are benefitting from it. But in all honestly PM some of the members who are running the best times, have the most mods on their car, and a lot more experience than most people and ask them if they think it is a good idea to remove the diffusor....you will only get one answer.

Yea me too.. i mean dont be a cheap ass and **** up your engine.. remember that the cheapest thing is gonna cost you more in the future.. anyways this goes for the guy in top of me.. what about if i get this weapon r intake ans then connect an airhose from the filter to some place for cool air... or get injen CAI??
suggestions please.. thx!

Yea me too.. i mean dont be a cheap ass and **** up your engine.. remember that the cheapest thing is gonna cost you more in the future.. anyways this goes for the guy in top of me.. what about if i get this weapon r intake ans then connect an airhose from the filter to some place for cool air... or get injen CAI??
suggestions please.. thx!

because you are NA Id say get a CAI rather than a SRI. The colder the air the better. Even if you rigged up a SRI with a tube or something that is right in front of the grill and is forcing air in it will probably not be as effective as a CAI because you might be forcing more air in, but it is still hotter air. A CAI is the best bet for you I think, you will get colder air and a nicer growl from the engine than a SRI will provide.

In NA I always think a CAI is better... the only reason I run a SRI with my turbo is because it makes it spool faster, plus I dont need to worry about the difference in temperatures between CAI and SRIs because I have an intercooler that takes care of the air temperature!

because you are NA Id say get a CAI rather than a SRI. The colder the air the better. Even if you rigged up a SRI with a tube or something that is right in front of the grill and is forcing air in it will probably not be as effective as a CAI because you might be forcing more air in, but it is still hotter air. A CAI is the best bet for you I think, you will get colder air and a nicer growl from the engine than a SRI will provide.

In NA I always think a CAI is better... the only reason I run a SRI with my turbo is because it makes it spool faster, plus I dont need to worry about the difference in temperatures between CAI and SRIs because I have an intercooler that takes care of the air temperature!

You are right! thx! so any other CAI than injen?? damn thing it's over $240 :S
Any other CAI available for the 1.6?

I appreciate the help! :D

Don't get a Injen CAI or sri. They both suck, i know cuz i used own a 1.6L protege, i tried everything from an Injen Cai, ebay intakes, and several custom made ones. You will get CELs like crazy with injen, cuz of the gay ass MAF on this cars.

And the best setup is the stock intake with a K&N drop in filter, you get more power. Then you can get some flexable tube and attach it to the stock air box and route cold air for the behind the grille. This is the best set up

Don't get a Injen CAI or sri. They both suck, i know cuz i used own a 1.6L protege, i tried everything from an Injen Cai, ebay intakes, and several custom made ones. You will get CELs like crazy with injen, cuz of the gay ass MAF on this cars.

And the best setup is the stock intake with a K&N drop in filter, you get more power. Then you can get some flexable tube and attach it to the stock air box and route cold air for the behind the grille. This is the best set up

He might be right. I dont have 1.6 liter NA experience so if you end up with a check engine light by changing the intake a K&N might be the best option so that the CEL doesnt cause you to run in limp mode.

The 1.6 Maf is super senitive, even a little dirty will make the sensor act stupid. With the CAI your car will hesitate like crazy and throw a bunch of cel, cuz the senor doesnt sit right on the tube. But if you must insist on an intake, there is the ones that protophile, think that was his username was selling here, heard those where ok. I suggest the k&n drop in filter, your in cali too, you don't have to change back to stock everytime you need to get emmison tested.

Last edited:
Aight so keep the stock airbox and drop a K&N panel filter and then get this flexable tube from the airbox to the front of the grill.. something like this? one of those two..

Thx again for the help! :D

Attachments

• weapon r.jpg
    weapon r.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 225
  • 838-111-106.jpg
    838-111-106.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 235
Aight so keep the stock airbox and drop a K&N panel filter and then get this flexable tube from the airbox to the front of the grill.. something like this? one of those two..

Thx again for the help! :D

something like the one in the second pic. I just used some drier hosing, that i got at the harware store and a mesh screen over the opening and some hose clamps.

With this setup, i felt that they was more torque and anyother intake setup i've had. But its your car do it up how ever you want to.

Latest posts

Back