Free custom air intake

Ok, finally i've done what everyone was waiting for :D

I got some pics for you guys to see how i did it

This custom intake gives you more torque and better response!!! i felt it while driving after mod!

pic 1: The 4 holes taped on the snorkel ( bottom side )

pic 2: 1 hole taped on the bottom of resonator ( under the car )

pic 3: 1 hole taped inside the airbox ( remove your panel filter first )

pic 4: Big cut i made on the top left of the grill so cold air from outside will go right to the snorkel mouth

pic 5: Everything back together plus i move the horn to the left side (with some extra tooling) so it won't block the "direct scope" i'm gonna put from the grill to the snorkel mouth for perfect air flowing

Easy uh.. but it takes time

Good luck!!!

Attachments

• DSCN1073.JPG
    DSCN1073.JPG
    523.7 KB · Views: 271
  • DSCN1074.JPG
    DSCN1074.JPG
    448.6 KB · Views: 229
And pic 6 is for the tools i used ( just a hint ) ;)

Attachments

• DSCN1078.JPG
    DSCN1078.JPG
    468.7 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCN1077.JPG
    DSCN1077.JPG
    545.1 KB · Views: 173
I'm glad to see that you experienced a noticeable improvement in performance from this mod.

Nice job, although you used a bit more tape than the amount I used. Also, I didn't remove my grill before cutting out the horizontal grill support. I was able to cut and remove it without detaching anything.

Adding a scoop would probably improve air flow even more. I had thought of doing it myself but hesitated because I thought it might provoke ingestion of water in heavy rainstorms. I've had this mod for quite some time now and have never experienced water ingestion regardless of the severity and duration of rain I've encountered and the fact that I'm running with blocked off drain holes. I believe this is because the incoming air must flow upward from the grill to the air inlet and any rain water carried in with the air would probably fall away from the inlet. With a scoop, any water would likely be directed into the inlet. If you do use a scoop, check to make sure that you won't have this problem. And definitely let us know the results.

Are you planning on removing the MAF sensor screen (assuming your model has one)? I noticed a further increase in performance after doing so. The screen probably functions to straighten the air flow before it enters the MAF sensor, but its presence does provide a restriction and I've noticed absolutely no negative effects due to its absence.

Last edited:
Glad it worked.

You used alot more tape then i did though...but hey w.e. it is fine.

Goldstar i always thought about removing the MAF screen. Isnt it the black mesh you can see by opening your airbox and looking down the tube towards your MAF?

Thx guys! i was talking with my dad about the scoop/water.. will be more airflow but water may get inside the engine, prolly will get a small scoop from the mouth of snorkel towards the first top 4 squares on the grill.. so it wont be facing the whole grill.

Which one is that famous MAF screen?? you mean the metallic thin grill inside the air tube??

I was thinking to get a K&N panel filter for higher flow.. means small gain :)

did you see any diff with the K&N panel filter??

and for the scoop.. I'll make one and put a really thin sponge/filter on the inlet of the snorkel for any water going in... air flow will be direct and in case of water the sponge or filter will stop it..

Hahah we live in CA and we get no rain no need to worry

but to tell you the truth i didnt reset my ecu to test if i got any gains from the k&n filter plus taping of the holes.

i just dont want my car to run bad for a couple days while it relearns itself.

once i get my second airbox clip i will reset it and see. the gains will probably next to nothing. because i think the grill cutout has the most effect. k&n filter probably has the second biggest but who knows.

Mmm yea you are right, but the fall and winter are coming and we might get some rain so.. think about it (yes)

How can i take off the beeez electric noise out form the engine? freaks me out!

Mmm yea you are right, but the fall and winter are coming and we might get some rain so.. think about it (yes)

How can i take off the beeez electric noise out form the engine? freaks me out!

Well just think about if any water gets in the intake will be hot enough to evap some of the water and the actual filter should absorb any of the rest of the water.

what electric sound are you talkin about btw?

Take your Snorkle off. There is a LOT of places you can seal off to make a strait flow. It just takes some black RTV and time. PS K&N does wonders, Take off the down pipe by your air box and plug it with a tub drain stop with RTV. Clean your intake and EGR change plugs to copper core. You WILL notice a difference.

Last edited:
Well just think about if any water gets in the intake will be hot enough to evap some of the water and the actual filter should absorb any of the rest of the water.

what electric sound are you talkin about btw?

when i press the gas.. makes a noise like when you run out of power steering fluid.. you know when you turn ur wheels towards the end of any side and you listen a mosquito sound? ok i got that sound but from the engine :S

might be it..idk sounds like a electric engine..it sucks!!

btw what if i get a short ram intake?

or if i get a tube MAF adapter on 3'' size

i would not go 3 in

you need to stick to the same size tubing as your intake now..so your MAF can read the air right.

short rams are allright..more for show and sound in my opinion..but if its cheap then go for it

Glad it worked.
Goldstar i always thought about removing the MAF screen. Isnt it the black mesh you can see by opening your airbox and looking down the tube towards your MAF?

Yes. To remove it, the MAF sensor must first be removed. The mesh, or screen, is a light press fit in the housing. I removed mine using a wooden dowel as a drift. Be very careful not to damage the internal components or you will surely ruin the expensive sensor. If you remove it and then decide to put it back, note that the screen is directional.

Removal gives you a bit more gain, particularly at higher rpms.

i would not go 3 in

you need to stick to the same size tubing as your intake now..so your MAF can read the air right.

short rams are allright..more for show and sound in my opinion..but if its cheap then go for it

But you get quicker response with those

Give me some short ram options please

thx!

There are two potential problems with SRIs.

First, installing one means losing the Helmholtz resonator which is designed to enhance and maintain low speed torque.

Second, there's a large difference between ambient and underhood air intake temperatures. Considering temperature alone, power output is a function of the square root of the change in absolute temperature.

You could, therefore, end up with no net gain and possibly even a loss compared with the modified OEM system under discussion.

I've tried both systems (I own an AEM SRI) and find I prefer the modified OEM for general road use. Your experience could be different, of course.

Back