Found My first Protege5!!! Minor things need tending to, but I get it Friday!

ccrunner2011

:
2002 Protege5, Classic Red
First P5 and I'm loving it... love it with me? haha

I've never been so excited in my life! This will be my first car that I purchase on my own. I've been driving my Dad's old 1989 nissan d21 for about 3 years now 343K and counting on the odo... things built like an ox.

But it's finally time where I can afford a car. I have been looking for a protege5 for about 4 months now and almost gave up until I saw this good looking car. She isn't perfect, but she's in great mechanical condition and good cosmetic except for the right front fender having a small dent (no biggie to fix, I've fixed worse)

DETAILS!!

2002 Protege5
Red
126,000 on the odo
Automatic - wish it was manual, but the car has been taken well care of. I just can't pass it up.

Only modifications are cosmetic.
18" konig rims (very smooth looking on this car IMO) - wrapped in almost new kuhmo esta (something or other)
tint - 20% rear, 35% front (lowest legal for front)

Car runs great, starts up great, drives straight at any speed, smooth gear changes, good pickup, turns like a damn go kart, need I mention any more obvious things about the Protege5?

Only bad on the car so far that I've seen is the Windshield has a small crack (100$ for a new one) and the damage to the front right ( a few hours of light mallet work, and a little touch up and were good to go. )

Can't wait! This Saturday it's going to get a nice detailing from top to the bottom. Wash, clay (tar spots), polish (has a couple scratches and swirls), and wax. Clean it inside and out

Last edited:
Welcome to the familia. The P5 is a great car in my opinion and it will take care of you if you take care of it. It looks like you have a great attitude about the car and are willing to put the work into it. I would recommend a good transmission cooler and a transmission fluid flush when you can. There is a how to for the flush on here where you actually flush the entire system. The trans cooler will prolong the life of your transmission greatly. Have the timing belt and water pump been changed? How about the plugs? I would check all of the essentials. The rear calipers tend to like seizing up but with it being a North Carolina car, it shouldn't be as bad. Feel free to ask question but remember that the advanced search function is an amazing tool for finding what you need. Good luck and welcome!

Welcome to the familia. The P5 is a great car in my opinion and it will take care of you if you take care of it. It looks like you have a great attitude about the car and are willing to put the work into it. I would recommend a good transmission cooler and a transmission fluid flush when you can. There is a how to for the flush on here where you actually flush the entire system. The trans cooler will prolong the life of your transmission greatly. Have the timing belt and water pump been changed? How about the plugs? I would check all of the essentials. The rear calipers tend to like seizing up but with it being a North Carolina car, it shouldn't be as bad. Feel free to ask question but remember that the advanced search function is an amazing tool for finding what you need. Good luck and welcome!

Thanks!

Previous owner was very upfront about everything he did to the car and has most records that he'll pass on to me. Which is one reason why I decided on this car.

Timing belt has not been done, but he did replace the valve gasket and spark plugs last year due to a small leak near the oil fill-up. He checked the timing belt and said there was no missing teeth as he turned the engine over. I wouldn't trust most people, but he was very upfront about it and is a mechanic. It will be done either this Friday or Saturday none the less. I Will replace water pump, spark plugs, belts, etc at the same time.

We'll flush every fluid with fresh while we're doing the timing belt, most likely including coolant, engine oil (just changed a week ago, receipts), windshield fluid, and tranny.

Seems a little sluggish when you put your foot in it compared to a few other auto protege 5's i've test drove. So I'll check the spark plugs and air filter while I'm at it.

Brakes were replaced last year, rotors and pads. They seem very solid and not sticky at all, again thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the tip on the trans cooler. Will look into that once I get the other stuff done.

Might I mention I am a mechanic and so is my father. We've restored a couple cars from top to bottom in the past years, '57 chevy (dad's baby from high school), '71 camaro (in progress. moms baby from highschool), '32 model A (next project, don't exactly know why yet :p ) , '76 spitfire (going away as my dad just got my granpas '91 miata with 37K miles) . I guess we have too many toys. 9 cars for 3 people :D So I'm lucky to have a full garage of tools and stuff to work on cars.

The previous owner has kept it in great shape and done regular maintenance, thank the car god I guess.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Depending on how the car was driven I would suggest a few days of aggressive driving after you do all the work. The transmission in the car I bought my wife had learned the previous drivers lack of urgency and it took forever for the car to downshift. After I reset the ECU and drove it for a week the transmission kicks down a lot faster.
Make sure you inspect the motor mounts, since you'll have a lot of the car apart it'll be a lot easier to get to them now. Mine were completly rotted.

Welcome man! I <3 my car and would never get rid of it! unless of course it was totaled lol :D

I probably would find another one if this ever gets totaled. I'm hoping to never be in a wreck with her. But if it does happen and it's just body damage, I'll salvage title her and rebuild it to a condition where it's at least track worthy :) Tear my freaking heart out but it happens. I haven't even driven it more then 25 miles yet till Friday, so excited!

Sounds like you are on the right track. Depending on how the car was driven I would suggest a few days of aggressive driving after you do all the work. The transmission in the car I bought my wife had learned the previous drivers lack of urgency and it took forever for the car to downshift. After I reset the ECU and drove it for a week the transmission kicks down a lot faster.
Make sure you inspect the motor mounts, since you'll have a lot of the car apart it'll be a lot easier to get to them now. Mine were completly rotted.

It didn't downshift quite so quickly hesitated maybe a second or so, but it also had 3 people (my mom, dad and i all weigh about 140 each (5'5" 5'9" 5'9") when I tried to get her to shift down. To reset the ECU don't you just need to unplug the battery terminals for 10 minutes or so? On my Nissan pickup, that's all you have to do. But, I'm not going to run it up high rpms unless I have to or if I'm feeling in a good mood and want to pick up a little faster. But I'll see if that really does effect it. I'm guessing but, when you reset the ECU doesn't it make itself basically a new car? Meaning all factory defaults for engine and transmission memory is reset and adjust once it receives new signals?

Quick question for those of you grease monkeys like me, the 2002 2.0 I4 engine is indeed a non-interference engine correct? I've been reading that people have put off timing belt changes because the likely hood of the valves hitting pistons and killing the motor is a lot less with these engines. Right, wrong? Either way the timing belt is being done Saturday pending weather, dad doesn't want his '57 chevy sitting out in the rain/sleet/snow were supposed to have. Just a curious little person.

Thanks a bunch!

It depends on the car somme have been fine others not so lucky I have 152k on mine so far but I won't be much more

Well, I got the car! Washed, clayed (only a few spots needed it), polished a few scratches, and waxed. MAN OH MAN does this car look nice. I've gotten several compliments from friends and what not already. Drives like a dream! The paint except for the front bumper looks nice and clean, so I'm happy with that for now.

question, where can I get a manual for this car. I've looked at advanced, autozone, and few others but have yet to find a manual for it. >.>

Well, I got the car! Washed, clayed (only a few spots needed it), polished a few scratches, and waxed. MAN OH MAN does this car look nice. I've gotten several compliments from friends and what not already. Drives like a dream! The paint except for the front bumper looks nice and clean, so I'm happy with that for now.

question, where can I get a manual for this car. I've looked at advanced, autozone, and few others but have yet to find a manual for it. >.>

I saw one one ebay for around 15-30$, just make sure its a reputable seller!

I saw one one ebay for around 15-30$, just make sure its a reputable seller!

I bought the car. Started a thread on lounge just to see what people think. Here's a picture if you check back.

8473_IMG_4224c.jpg

does this really work? ive always wondered about self-learning ECUs

btw nice clean p5. enjoy it!

does this really work? ive always wondered about self-learning ECUs

btw nice clean p5. enjoy it!

IMHO, yes. After putting a couple hundred miles on the car the transmission was much quicker to downshift and seemed to upshift later. Of course now that my wife is driving it full time I am sure it'll go back to "drivin miss-Daisy" mode...

Thanks drgn! I had to go through a construction area where they are putting new water mains in near my house... and there was water that was full of red clay. Now my car is red with orange spots about a foot up the door panels and rims and wheel wells... time for a quick bath this weekend.

paper, I've noticed it too. I got 23MPG on the first tank but now everytime i need to get into it, it shifts down predictably before i even get the pedal down 75%. Kind of cool how technology can learn.

However, if I'm just toodeling around and lightly accelerating it shifts just as smooth and barely touches 3K before it upshifts.

Last edited:
Sweet ride m8!
im buying my first manual car tomorrow, 2002 p5 with 100k miles on it I CANT WAIT :3

That's great man! They are truly fun to drive and so far I can't complain about handling in wet or dry conditions. When other people are starting to slip, my car sticks on the road. I'm actually taking a weekend break and taking it for it's first long trip down to the beach this weekend for my b-day. Hopefully everything goes well.

Wish you luck!

That's great man! They are truly fun to drive and so far I can't complain about handling in wet or dry conditions. When other people are starting to slip, my car sticks on the road. I'm actually taking a weekend break and taking it for it's first long trip down to the beach this weekend for my b-day. Hopefully everything goes well.

Wish you luck!

thats you too man, im getting picked up in 15mins so we get it inspected. ahhhhhh we should share builds and ideas! okay have fun this weekend :D

thats you too man, im getting picked up in 15mins so we get it inspected. ahhhhhh we should share builds and ideas! okay have fun this weekend :D

I'm leaving this car stock... plus what the previous owner did which is all cosmetic (different rims, window tint, rewired fog lamps). This is my DD and I'm not about to screw something up just yet ;) Except for exhaust. Might go with a catback just because of the sound it gives.

looks wise -
But I do know that I'm going to do fitted seat covers, black edged with red elsewhere. I will more than likely add a sub (just want better bass). I may or may not do HID's depending on the legality of them once i talk with people around tha thave them already. My headlights are pretty bright white as they sit now.

Any other ideas? I don't want it to be a 'ricer' honda wannabe. It's a P5.

Last edited:
I'm leaving this car stock... plus what the previous owner did which is all cosmetic (different rims, window tint, rewired fog lamps). This is my DD and I'm not about to screw something up just yet ;) Except for exhaust. Might go with a catback just because of the sound it gives.

looks wise -
But I do know that I'm going to do fitted seat covers, black edged with red elsewhere. I will more than likely add a sub (just want better bass). I may or may not do HID's depending on the legality of them once i talk with people around tha thave them already. My headlights are pretty bright white as they sit now.

Any other ideas? I don't want it to be a 'ricer' honda wannabe. It's a P5.

oh im not going to modify mine a whole lot either, just make it at my taste :)
and dont worry lol, a ricer is a dickhead who does burnouts and causes bad reputation to the tuning community.. you are far from beeing one .. You may want to get a cold air intake for throttier sound, and for looks, removing side moldings (thts what i planned lol)

sadly the car I went to see today had those huge holes in the shell.. hopefully I had it inspected.. it remained on the lift for only 5mins, lol
im getting 1 inspected tomorrow.. i hope she's good

Back