Flyin Protege Turbo kit???

verseoneMP5

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I tried the search function with no luck, i even tried google and couldnt find anything...

I found a local guy selling a FLYIN PROTEGE Turbo kit for my P5. I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about this kit: pics, hp gains, do's & don'ts etc....

thanks in advance!

i've only hearda flyin miata somewhere on this forum, mita been a member i have no idea, just remember seeing it

its an old kit the comes with a fmu for fuel management and if i'm not mistaken it made around 180 whp @ 6-7 psi they stop making them because they wanted to focus on the maita, it was pretty much the same as or close to the begi kit. if you got back to the beginning of the forced induction threads you may be able to find some of the original specs and discussions about it.

It was the BEGI kit. It is a decent kit, not a lot of bling, but decent. I have their manifold on mine and it's not the most attractive thing, but it works well and is strong as hell. With some engine managment, it has potential IMO.

I ran this kit for about 3 years on my MP3 before I switched setups to the MAM in Oct. 2005. It was a pretty reliable setup (especially that manifold!). The original B.E.G.I. kit ran 6-8 PSI on an FMU. If you want to run more boost, you will want some type of EMS.

i'm tryin to get it for about 1k...maybe a lil more..still debatin on if i should do it..my concern is that my car is daily driven..i ran a greddy turbo kit on a sohc civic with no problems..i want hte same kind of reliability....any more input?

The Flyin Protege/Miata Kit/BEGI Kit was one of the very first kits available for the Protege 5.

It isn't the biggest powermaker, but people have been very happy with it for what it is. If you aren't going to build your engine and are willing to sit at 6-8psi it should meet your needs.

Being that you are a California resident the most important factor to you is that this kit is CARB Approved (I believe, but you should call Flyin Miata to confirm). The unique design of the manifold and turbo downpipe that they use allows you to keep all emissions equipment. If an easy SMOG check is important to you, the kit is a good choice. $1,000 isn't a bad price either, as long as it's a complete kit.

You may even want to consider ditching the FMU in favor of the Split Second AFC or some other basic piggyback system.

thanks jhotrod! my goal isnt to be fast(not why i bought a wagon). I will check on the CARB thing..can any one else confirm that? Thats a deal closer right there..

I did some searching on here and it looks like Flyin Miata was pursuing CARB exemption for the protege kit, but they got out of the protege turbo kit market before they got a CARB EO number.

The kit does retain all emissions equipment so it should pass a smog test without problems, it's just that pesky visual inspection.

verseoneMP5 said:
thanks jhotrod! my goal isnt to be fast(not why i bought a wagon). I will check on the CARB thing..can any one else confirm that? Thats a deal closer right there..

NOT CARB approved. :( Sorry.

I have been running this kit for almost two years now at 7psi. Very reliable so far since I wasn't going for HUGE power, just enough to make the car much more fun as a daily driver. Is not CARB certified, but new laws passed in January of this year in CA mean the first smog check is not required for my 02 model until 2008.

Back