First Oil Change: Mazda says 7,500 miles, dealer says 4,000

:
2018 CX-5 Tour
My dealer told me to come back in 4,000 miles for the first oil change. It's a free oil change, but nonetheless the MyMazda website says first oil change at 7,500 miles. The 2016 CX-5 uses synthetic oil--which is supposed to last longer than regular oil anyway.

Dealer said the first oil will accumulate a lot of metal bits due to the break-in. For years I've read both sides to this story.

OTOH, my 2012 Honda CR-V (regular oil) always said to use the dashboard maintenance minder, which called for oil changes about 6,000 miles apart, including the very first one.

Not trying to save a buck, but what I've read over the years says that metal shavings in the first oil is an urban legend these days.

What's your opinion?

Thanks.

I would say.. first oil change at 5,500 to 7,500 miles is fine, no need to be that early.

My opinion is that you need to read the Owner's Manual to learn more about maintenance recommendations for your car, which range from 5000 to 7500 depending on a number of driving conditions. This topic has been covered here many times, so you can also do a search of this forum.

My first oil change was at 5k miles but that was also after taking delivery 8 months prior. Short trips, cold weather = more frequent intervals.

5,000 miles for severe conditions.

NJ winters qualify as severe conditions.

Being the very 1st oil change, i actually agree with the dealership that id do it a bit earlier. Hell, when we rebuild motors, we generally change out the oil after a couple of hundred miles. Its a fresh motor, with fresh toolings. You never know whats floating around in there.

But other then that initial one, i agree to do the recommended 7500 miles

I start thinking about it at 5,000 miles since my last oil change, and make sure I get it done before 7,500 miles. My dealer's offered me two free oil changes so far, I drive less than normal miles, so, these oil changes are a bit early. But, if the dealer is offering them for free, I don't mind doing them a little early.

Being the very 1st oil change, i actually agree with the dealership that id do it a bit earlier. Hell, when we rebuild motors, we generally change out the oil after a couple of hundred miles. Its a fresh motor, with fresh toolings. You never know whats floating around in there.
But other then that initial one, i agree to do the recommended 7500 miles

When we bought a new Honda, the manual said that the oil installed with the new engine had special additives and should be left in the engine for the recommended mileage to ensure a proper break-in.
Does Mazda use special oil additives like Honda?

When we bought a new Honda, the manual said that the oil installed with the new engine had special additives and should be left in the engine for the recommended mileage to ensure a proper break-in.
Does Mazda use special oil additives like Honda?

I was also told that with my 2009 Honda Civic, but, I was not told this with my 2015 CX-5.

I changed at 5,000 miles (well, I think it was actually 5,050) because a lot of my driving is stop-and-go traffic in metro DC. Coming up soon on 10,000 miles and will change again around then. I plan on continuing to use only Mazda oil with the molybdenum additive.

Go with what the manufacturer recommends. Modern metallurgy, manufacturing and lubrication technology have vastly improved over the past 25 years.

I recently had a 2014 Mazda3 SGT. I brought in into dealer at 4000 miles for an oil change and the service writer told me it was too early, that it had another 3500 to go.

Ended up trading it in 200 miles later at 4200 miles for a 2016 CX-5 GT

I have a 2015 CX-5 that I don't drive much. I have had a little over a year with only 1300 miles. Thoughts on the first oil change. I know the manual says 6 months but I only had around 500 miles at that point and feel like I need to change soon but not sure based on mileage. I've always used Mobil 1 Synthetic and would like to continue with that. Thanks for the info!

I have a 2015 CX-5 that I don't drive much. I have had a little over a year with only 1300 miles. Thoughts on the first oil change. I know the manual says 6 months but I only had around 500 miles at that point and feel like I need to change soon but not sure based on mileage. I've always used Mobil 1 Synthetic and would like to continue with that. Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, you may run into warranty claim issues if you don't change every 6 months regardless of mileage.

And why is this in the how-to section? This is the place to tell "how-to" do something, not ask "how-do". This question would have better asked in the general forum or the engine transmission section

I agree with a 5,000 mile first oil change since Mazda states either 5,000 severe, or 7,500 normal. Ed

agree - a new topic probably better in this case - your issue is unique IMO (OP was 6 mths ago)

try talking to the dealer, see what would fit you driving pattern and not bugger the warranty

or get out there and drive it ! LOL, lots of fun

My first oil change (free) was at 3,534 miles and only because it was 6 months. I don't put many miles on it. As long as the warranty is in force I'll change at 5,000 miles or 6 months. In my case it will be 6 months. I don't want to give Mazda any ammunition in case something goes wrong.
After the warranty I'll increase to 7,000 or 9 months.

My first oil change (free) was at 3,534 miles and only because it was 6 months. I don't put many miles on it. As long as the warranty is in force I'll change at 5,000 miles or 6 months. In my case it will be 6 months. I don't want to give Mazda any ammunition in case something goes wrong.
After the warranty I'll increase to 7,000 or 9 months.

I hear ya.. my Infiniti's warranty is up in early February. That will go to annual Amsoil oil changes instead of every 6 months.

Back