First car, First love. 2002 Protege5, Tell me what you think!

ccrunner2011

:
2002 Protege5, Classic Red
Hey everyone,

I did started another thread, but I figured I should introduce myself here. My name's Martin. I was born and live in Raleigh NC for all 19 years of my life so far.

I started my search for a car starting in July, I guess. I had my heart set on a Mazda3 hatch, but soon realized my budget just didn't and wouldn't allow that to happen. Then I saw the Protege5. IMO I like the Protege5 even MORE than the 3.

How it ended up being the one (You can skip this part if you want):

Today is the start of a new chapter, I guess you could say. A guy about 40 miles away was selling this 2002 Protege5, red. I was skeptical because I had looked at 45 Protege5's around my area and wasn't satisfied with the condition, be it mechanical or cosmetic. Well that changed on Monday this week. Saw a craigslist ad for just what I was looking for, but it had a cracked windshield. I called the guy up thinking it was just like all the others. I was proven way way wrong. He told me exactly what was wrong, mileage to the exact number, what he's done to the car, maintenance records, etc. Only reason why he's selling it is because of work. He's a Gas tanker Driver and needs a 4WD. He was rather upset about me taking his baby.

Couldn't pass the opportunity to look at it. Drove down there and saw it as we peeked around the corner to his driveway. Looked good cosmetically so we checked engine and tranny. Both seemed to be in great condition, no leaks. Drove it obviously, smooth as it should be through everything. Carfax checked out to what he said had happened (his brother damaged the front right corner, only damage on the car or ever to happen to it). That was the end of it. This was the one. Met him at the bank today with money in hand and the car is mine.

Drove it home, scared my Mom who was following behind me, cuz the guys house was out in the country so no cops more or less. So I just wanted to let her run a little bit...45-75 ish felt like nothing.

Anyways, no more batter.

2002 Protege5 - after a wash and quick pictures, excuse the bucket.. better pictures will come later.

8473_IMG_4224c.jpg

Little bit of clear coat coming off. But, this front bumper will come off so I can fix the scuffs to the right (left in the pic) and repaint it.
8475_IMG_4225b.jpg

Damage isn't really visible, just pushed in a bit just behind the headlight
8472_IMG_4226b.jpg

Future plans:
Mostly handling and cosmetic mods, no mechanical for a couple years.

HID head lights - 4300K or 6000K - with a dark visor over lamp covers to keep from blinding other people :hehe:
repair front bumper
set covers matching red
stereo upgrade
Possibly catback exhaust

Tell me what you think!
-Martin

EDIT: Might I add, when I washed it, there was absolutely NO dirt on the clay except for right around the wheel wells. Everywhere else, baby butt smooth.

Last edited:
Looks super nice! I love the wheels. I suggest lowering springs.

looks great, another thing to add to your list would probably be headlight restoration, get them nice and clear..

this is what mine look like after it:
4v0g0g.jpg

Attachments

• 426.JPG
    426.JPG
    646.9 KB · Views: 76
Back