Feeling a bit bad about the dealership survey...

ramius

:
2006 MX-5
I filled out the survey honestly and feel that I might've screwed over my sales adviser accidentally. I gave her all 10s for questions pertaining to her performance, but was honest about the finance guy... who didn't earn a score of 10.

I read after doing the survey any score under 10 is a 'fail' and that it reflects only on the sales adviser and that the score can easily affect her salary/bonus. Is this true? :(

Don't you think it would be a bit ridiculous if someones salary was in jeopardy if a customer did not feel they were a 10/10 in every possible area? No one is perfect all the time.

Don't you think it would be a bit ridiculous if someones salary was in jeopardy if a customer did not feel they were a 10/10 in every possible area? No one is perfect all the time.
You would think, but some places just want 10/10 regardless of how ridiculous it usually is. Your pretty much have to answer 10/10 or basically "I'm perfect all the time" to get into many government jobs that require those "best opinion" type assessments (USPS for example).

I filled out the survey honestly and feel that I might've screwed over my sales adviser accidentally. I gave her all 10s for questions pertaining to her performance, but was honest about the finance guy... who didn't earn a score of 10.

I read after doing the survey any score under 10 is a 'fail' and that it reflects only on the sales adviser and that the score can easily affect her salary/bonus. Is this true? :(

Don't feel bad. The dealership is there to serve you and it would be ridiculous if they required you to lie when taking their survey. As long as your answers were honest, you can sleep well.

My Volvo dealer used to "prep" customers by telling them that Volvo wouldn't accept anything less than "excellent" in customer feedback ratings. We were told that giving a "very good" was the equivalent of a failing grade.

I refuse to play "grade inflation" with any merchant under any circumstances. I'll give them what I think they're worth, and encourage everyone to do the same. Don't get sucked in by this foolish practise.

IMO, if you rate the finance department truthfully, and their score plays an effect on the dealer group as a whole...

Everybody would despise the finance department. Lol!

I've never had a good experience with the finance folks at dealerships. I understand they're selling something. But I consider myself privy to the grand scheme, and when I say no, they're condescending and it's extremely aggrivating. Not mention they're they ones that try to backdoor you after you've negotiated for umpteen hours with the sales group. I despise car buying.

My Volvo dealer used to "prep" customers by telling them that Volvo wouldn't accept anything less than "excellent" in customer feedback ratings. We were told that giving a "very good" was the equivalent of a failing grade.

I refuse to play "grade inflation" with any merchant under any circumstances. I'll give them what I think they're worth, and encourage everyone to do the same. Don't get sucked in by this foolish practice.

Ha ha, my dealer did exactly this. As we were going over the car, taking the plastic off the seats, etc, he went into the "Anything less than a 10 is a fail" routine. I liked the guy but...what? Couldn't help but snicker to myself on that one.

I bought my car September 2, 2014 and never got a dealership survey. So.. at least you got to share your experience! I would be completely honest in mine as well. No 10/10's for anyone, because I didn't receive 10/10 service.

Our new CX-5 is our 2nd Mazda. I vaguely remember the survey from the CX-9 purchase, and our sales rep on this purchase told us that if we couldn't give 10's on all our survey answers to please call the dealership GM/owner and voice our concerns to them directly as well. Frankly, I <b>can</b> give 10's. The dealership did a great job.

We couldn't come to terms at first, but we did a couple of days later. After the first discussions failed to reach a deal, the owner emailed me and said as much as they wanted to sell me a car, the primary question was "did you have a good experience with our team?"

IMO, if you rate the finance department truthfully, and their score plays an effect on the dealer group as a whole...

Everybody would despise the finance department. Lol!

I've never had a good experience with the finance folks at dealerships. I understand they're selling something. But I consider myself privy to the grand scheme, and when I say no, they're condescending and it's extremely aggrivating. Not mention they're they ones that try to backdoor you after you've negotiated for umpteen hours with the sales group. I despise car buying.

I just bought my first car at a dealership over Memorial Day so I don't have a ton of experience with dealerships. The people who showed me the loan information and finance charges were friendly, but the guy I signed the papers with was pretty condescending and abrasive.

I don't know what it is, but I've noticed finance people at my job are crabby as hell all the time. Looks to be a pervasive trend.

I'm slightly jaded by the displeasures auto purchasing, so I'd be near impossible for me to issue a perfect score on any facet of service. Hell, when I go to an auto dealership, I just walk in with my pants at my ankles.

Where I come from, a perfect score means the bar was set to low. If a dealer suggests or try's to blackmail me via guilt feeling, then he is not being honest with me.

Well, I feel better after reading everyone's responses. Thanks!

A bit more detail:

The finance guy was all smiles and jokes and even convinced my wife and I into the extended warranty because it was only "$1/month over the duration of the loan". That sounded good ($60 for a warranty? Sign us up!) until we *ALMOST* missed how much the warranty was going add to the bottom line: $2500 or thereabouts. I don't know what kind of math shenanigans the guy was trying to pull, but needless to say, it was highly deceiving (trying to rush us through the signatures) and his demeanor changed abruptly when we called him out on it.

The experience was great up until that point.

That being said, I'd still do it over again as the sales lady was great to deal with and got what I consider a pretty decent deal on the car. Just gotta read over everything carefully!

Last edited:

A bit more detail:

The finance guy was all smiles and jokes and even convinced my wife and I into the extended warranty because it was only "$1/month over the duration of the loan". That sounded good ($60 for a warranty? Sign us up!) until we *ALMOST* missed how much the warranty was going add to the bottom line: $2500 or thereabouts. I don't know what kind of math shenanigans the guy was trying to pull, but needless to say, it was highly deceiving (trying to rush us through the signatures) and his demeanor changed abruptly when we called him out on it.

The experience was great up until that point.

That being said, I'd still do it over again as the sales lady was great to deal with and got what I consider a pretty decent deal on the car. Just gotta read over everything carefully!
Doggone finance guys, I tell ya!

Nothing wrong with filling out the survey with honest answers. I never got a survey either, so can't enter my 2 bits.. However, if the experience was not good, we would not have bought where we did. I don't listen to BS, and have no problem walking out the door.

A bit more detail:

The finance guy was all smiles and jokes and even convinced my wife and I into the extended warranty because it was only "$1/month over the duration of the loan". That sounded good ($60 for a warranty? Sign us up!) until we *ALMOST* missed how much the warranty was going add to the bottom line: $2500 or thereabouts.

Sounds like a dollar/day and that's likely what he would have said, claiming a brain fart, if you had called him on it.

Shysters!

Dealing with dealerships everyday at work, the manufacturers are also to blame for weighing too heavily on the surveys. The anything less than perfect is essentially true. It can directly affect the sales and management bonuses. Additionally, if a dealer continues to receive lower scores, it can effect their inventory to where it is harder for them to order popular models/colors/options.

The whole system is flawed.

Back