Factory brake delema

beefski

:
2013 CX-9 GT AWD Pearl White / Sand
I had my dealership do a full brake service at 36,512 miles, that was 8/2012. Over the weekend we went on a day trip and slowing down from highway speed the wheel shuddered so hard that even the side view mirrors were shaking. I'm at 47,800 miles now. I know the front factory rotors are an issue but holy crap, under 12K miles and they are shot. I called the dealership and spoke to the service manager and he wants me to bring in the car for them to have a look. Brakes/rotors should last way more then 12K miles. So what do I do? Let them turn (cut) them to correct and have a temporary fix? If I had the money I would just replace them with a better aftermarket rotor. I feel like anything other than an aftermarket replacement will just be another problem 12K miles down the road.

It is cheaper to turn the rotors first to see if they fix the problem.
Mine was cured by that.
Also shook like crazy when slowing down at highway speed.
You should also feel it when street speed slowing down.
The braking contact should be on and off. That is a sign.

Of course if they offer to cut them for free I'll do it. No way in hell am I spending more $$$ at the dealership to fix a problem that should not be. Just frustrating as I think this will be an ongoing problem.

Braking system carries 1yr/12K warranty. You have passed that point.
Shimmy brake happened to all vehicles I owned except for BMW, which used very soft-steel rotors.
Hence, lots of brake dusts. Rotors wear our with pads together. ... $$$$

I know that I am out of warranty period, but the fact is that brakes should absolutely last far more that 12K miles over 2 years. I have owned may different brands of cars, BMW, AUDI, Ford, Chevy and the break rotors were never at the point that the Mazda is in 2 years and 12K miles. My father owned a repair shop & gas station for 45 years so I know my way around a brake job. Its a poor quality product. My wife drives the car 99% of the time and is not heavy on the gas or brake, so there is no reason that I should have to go for rotors cut and maybe pads too except for a poor desighed, poor materials product.

and a tv, microwave, computer, etc... should also last over a year but if one poops out on you most of them only have a 12-month warranty as well. you can't take it back to best buy and expect them to fix it for free. stuff happens...

and honestly, i'm not trying to be argumentative, but if you know your way around a brake job then take the rotors off and have them turned yourself. $12 ea. at o-reilly here in indy. not a big deal; a pain the arse, sure...

in fact, if you have an advance auto nearby wait till they have 30-40% off and grab some premium wearever rotors. have used them on a variety of cars and they are decent parts at cheap prices (after discount).

It is a well documented issue on this forum that the CX-9 brakes are sub-par. I am at about 35k on my Centric rotors and am starting to get just a little bit of brake shutter. (i'm at 70k with original rear brakes, so it could be the rear rotors). My advice is to get a/m rotors & pads, seems oem is no good.

r1concepts.com has 20% off rotors and/or pads this week, if you're in the market. We replaced our OEM rotors and pads around 45K. They weren't warped, but they pads were made of rock and seemed to grid really bad. So I went aftermarked.

Also, warping in under 12K could also be caused from improper torqueing of the wheels. Make sure they are in spec.

I say bring it and let them measure your rotors. They won't cut it if they are gonna be under spec. So you still have a choice to get a new one, oem or aftermarket, but they will insist oem ofcourse.

... I had my aftermarket rotors cut and it went underspec and it shudders when doing a hard brake. So I had to replace with a new one. Cheapo though. lol!

Well after a few emails and calls to Mazda Corporate, they have agreed to offer assistance. The will cover the front rotors either re-surface or replace depending on the dealer diagnosis. I realize that I am just putting off having to replace them with better aftermarket ones but for now this will suffice. I found some rotors on Rockauto.com, Raybestos heavy duty for $45 each. I have used that site for purchases for my 1998 Chevy Lumina LTZ and it worked out great. They had originally declined to offer assistance but I asked to speak to a supervisor and practically had to choke the guy to agree to have them call me back but eventually they saw it my way.

Latest posts

Back