Extended warranty?

Toller

:
2014 CX9 Touring
I got my CX9 last week and the dealer only offered me an extended warranty with undercoating and paint protection; so it was pretty easy to turn down.

I have never bought an extended warranty, but when I got my Subaru two years ago a dealer on the internet offered me one for half the price of the dealer I bought the car from. For that price I couldn't resist; one minor repair would pay for it. I was actually wondering if it was some kind of scam, but the local dealer says it shows up on his computer, so I guess it is good.

Anyhow, is something similar available with my Mazda; someone selling Mazda warranties at prices that can't be resisted?

The profit margin of ext warranty is at least 50% from listing price.
At 1/2 price, it is worth considering, depending on your financial planning.

Big reason I liked the CPO program if you can find one. It comes with a 100k powertrain warranty and extends the full warranty by another year/10k miles

1/2 off an extended warranty if it's legit seems very reasonable.

It is legit and it is usually from a genuine dealer in a remote dealership.
Most Toyota/Lexus owners know about this Toyota salesman in a dealership of a remote state.
He makes a living out of selling ext warranty nation-wide. He is so famous that most Toyota/Lexus salesmen know about him and hate his name mentioned by buyers.... I got ext warranty for my wife's Prius at 1/2 price. It is an open secret. I can find the name for you if you got a Toyota/Lexus.

follow the link down.
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...nded-warranty-pricing-who-has-best-price.html

Haven't found a Mazda deal like that yet. Some Mazda salesman need to be the 1st.

Last edited:
Too bad about no Mazda dealers being opportunistic. At full price it is hard to justify. Thanks.

If i am correct i believe that mazda no longer deals with extended warranties. The dealers usually offer a 3rd party company now for extended warranties. I got one for my 9 and i already got all of my money back that i paid for it.

If you have Geico, take a look at their mechanical breakdown insurance (MBI). I can't remember the particulars, but it goes into effect after your normal warranty expires (though you do start paying for it now until the end) and it stays in effect for up to 7 years or 100,000 whichever comes first. There is a $250 deductible when you do use it. And I believe it's per incident, meaning if two separate things need to be repaired even if it's in one visit, you pay the deductible twice. But I may be remembering it incorrectly.

I pay $30 per year for the MBI (it's rolled into my regular insurance payments). So assuming I get to 7 years first, it'll cost me $210 for the MBI itself over that 7 years (not counting any deductibles I have to pay...hoping it'll only be none to a few...knock on wood).

+1 for geico. it's a very good option i think, plus you don't roll any more cost into your loan.

If I read it correctly, the premium goes up as your car ages. It is not fixed year after year.....
MBI seems like a good alternative if you are already insured by Geico.

If I read it correctly, the premium goes up as your car ages. It is not fixed year after year.....
MBI seems like a good alternative if you are already insured by Geico.

Hmm, that certainly wasn't disclosed to me by Geico. I don't remember reading that in any of their information they make available either. When I did the online quote through Geico, it just gave me the annual cost of $30 per year. But it never gave me any notice of future increases. I guess I'll be calling them up to find out what I should be expecting.

Hmm, that certainly wasn't disclosed to me by Geico. I don't remember reading that in any of their information they make available either. When I did the online quote through Geico, it just gave me the annual cost of $30 per year. But it never gave me any notice of future increases. I guess I'll be calling them up to find out what I should be expecting.

Well, here's the response I got from Geico (copied from their email):

• The premium for Mechanical Breakdown Insurance does increase over time, as the cost to repair vehicles due to mechanical failure also increases. We do not have an exact amount that the coverage will increase or a time table as to when the increase will occur. The increase is based off of the vehicle you have the coverage on. You will always be notified of any increase to this coverage at least 30 days in advance on your policy renewal and can remove this coverage at any time.

I can't imagine the premium would jump that much for such a reliable car like the 9 :).

I've purchased 3 extended warranties in my lifetime.

Protege5: Got the power steering pump and a few abs sensors fixed and about broke even with the cost. Transferred over the remaining 10k to the next owner (and that helped close the deal) so I suppose it was worth it.

MS6: Covered nothing but I wasn't diligent enough to check things before it expired. VVT issue occurred just after it expired. I had to petition to Mazda to get them to cover it since they sent out a recall notice days after I got it fixed. Leaking transfer case should have been covered but dealer never told me it was leaking until it was too late. Silly me, I thought a little oil was because I didn't torque the drain plug properly.

Focus: My wife's car. Thus far it hasn't had a single problem but its only at 50k. I told her it wasn't really worth it, but she said she'd rather pay for repairs up front than get hit with them later.

I just traded the MS6 for a 2013 CX-9 CPO. Main reason for going CPO instead of new was the included 100k power train warranty. I plan on towing a 2,500 lb trailer with it so it will not be seeing light duty. You can bet your ass I'll be under that car looking for leaks when I approach 100k. I'm not going to expect the dealer to pick up on things anymore.

Hi,

I just got a new 2014 CX-9 GT and the dealer offered me a extended warranty through a third party (they told me Mazda don't offer extended warranty) which by the end of the car deal it seemed too good to pass on so I got it and they told me I can still cancel it if I don't want it.

So the deal is for 8 years/85K bumper to bumper, including labor, car rental, towing, etc, etc. It's under a company called USWC (United States Warranty Corp.) and this is the top warranty they offer, platinum level. Price too good to pass was $1300 after going lower and lower. By the way, there is still a $100

Have any of you heard of this company? any comments?

what should I expect? will it be a headache to get reimbursed, etc?

does it sound like a good price?

Thanks in advance.
= P =

Hi,

I just got a new 2014 CX-9 GT and the dealer offered me a extended warranty through a third party (they told me Mazda don't offer extended warranty) which by the end of the car deal it seemed too good to pass on so I got it and they told me I can still cancel it if I don't want it.

So the deal is for 8 years/85K bumper to bumper, including labor, car rental, towing, etc, etc. It's under a company called USWC (United States Warranty Corp.) and this is the top warranty they offer, platinum level. Price too good to pass was $1300 after going lower and lower. By the way, there is still a $100

Have any of you heard of this company? any comments?

what should I expect? will it be a headache to get reimbursed, etc?

does it sound like a good price?

Thanks in advance.
= P =

Read the exceptions and exclusions very carefully; extended warranties on a car this reliable are usually not worth it.

I paid 1600 for my warrantech extended warranty. I basically got my money back from the water pump replacement alone. I pretty much got my money back. It all depends on how much you will drive it. 1300 is a pretty good price with a 100 dollar deductible.

Read the exceptions and exclusions very carefully; extended warranties on a car this reliable are usually not worth it.

These are the exceptions, basically what is not covered:
  • "Normal maintenance items and parts described in your vehicle maintenance manual.
  • Squeaks, rattles, water leaks or wind noise.
  • Non-factory installed equipment such as alarms, radios and speakers.
  • Convertible tops, glass, plastic or sasembly.
  • Exterior metal.
  • Upholstery.
  • Trim."
The "Platinum" coverage list is too large to write it down, if someone is interested I can take a picture and post it here.

I would agree with you regarding that normally it would not be worthy for this car but at $1300 for a total of 8 years I think it doesn't sound too much. And if I Was going to sell it, it would be a good peace of mind for a prospect buyer, right?

Last edited:
I purchased ext warranty on two vehicles before.
BMW: got my money back easily.
Toyota: not a single dime

Nothing is going to happen to this Mazda costing more than $1300 in 8yrs/85k. Things start going wrong when you get closer to and exceed 100k. Pocket the $1300 and put it in a savings account, or better yet, your 401(k). Only in a rare circumstance will you need it between 36k (when the factory warranty expires) and 85k (when this extended warranty expires).

I've purchased two. I drove my Protege5 to 95k and got the power steering pump replaced. That cost about half the price I paid for the warranty. I drove my Mazdaspeed6 to 110k and everything that broke happened after it expired. Needless to say for my CX9, I didn't bother.

I got the factory extended warranty (NOT third party) on my last two vehicles: '01 Honda Odyssey and '07 Toyota Sienna. By shopping around and buying from dealerships across the country rather than local, I paid close to half price. I think my 7 yr/100k for the Sienna was $895, local dealer wanted about $1500.
At least with the Sienna, it easily paid for itself. It had power EVERYTHING and lots of stuff to break. Some of it did...
Currently shopping around for the new CX 9 extended warranty. The selling dealer wanted to sell me a 10 yr/100k for around $2k! (eek2)
I declined...

Back