Exhaust Leak with Thunder Manifold

Concept MSP

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Ever since I installed the Thunder Manifold I was hearing wierd noises from the engine. I sounded like a leak, kind of a high pitched whine. I thought it was maybe from the midpipe, by the flex joint. I decided to take everything apart to see what was going on and I saw this.

DSCN4052.JPG

Both sides have evidence of a leak. The gasket and flange on the manifold are also covered with soot too. I took it to a local shop and we put a straight edge on it and it wobbled back & forth. Then I had them put it on the belt sander and you could very clearly see that the flange was not flat. After just a few seconds on the sander you could see that the belt was hitting just the middle, and not even touching the outside edges. I had them flatten out the flange, and I also drilled out the holes to 7/16. Hopefully everything will fit and work better the second time around. Just wanted to pass this along to any others that have this manifild in case you hear some leaks too. This was purchased as part of the first group by.

damn man i was going to buy it. I hope that it would bbe checked before others would be sold....

interesting. i know flanges can warp when welded (but should be checked before shipping, of course), i dont have any odd noises but ill check mine out and see whats doin'

My flange was no where near flat ... when you just put in on a flat surface you could tell. Wobbled all over the place. I just thats how it was supposed to be.

no it should be flat, or it wont seal against the engines machined surface. the gasket can only do so much.

didnt the flanges on the first group buy have messed up holes or something lining up?

try putting multiple exhaust gaskets..

Yerah, the holes were off on the first batch. As mentioned, the manifold flange should be flat otherwise it won't seal properly. It's not a big deal to fix, I just wish that I would have noticed it before I went through the trouble of installing it the first time.

when you are tossing that much cash on a mani, you would think it wouldnt have flange issues. Wheres the quality control lol

My flange was no where near flat ... when you just put in on a flat surface you could tell. Wobbled all over the place. I just thats how it was supposed to be.
Aw..thats just great..I bought your friggin mani...Now I have to go check it and possibly send it out to the machine shop...At least I dont need it for a bit.

Keep me updated on this. Anyone else have this problem please post up. Pics will help.
In the meantime I will send a message to my contact and show them this thread.

ill be checking tonight. im not taking the mani off though so ill eyeball it. My engine has been louder since the mani but i figured it was cause i went from valve cover cover to just valve cover. we shall see.

hmm ill check mine too but when i pulled it off last time i wasnt leaking except for the pass side where i broke a bolt off at

Atleast it's an easy fix, more time consuming then anything.

Jeff the part was pretty cheap, but products shouldn't be sold like this...

Mind you, some peeps that I know with the MAM mani had the same issue.

ill be checking tonight. im not taking the mani off though so ill eyeball it. My engine has been louder since the mani but i figured it was cause i went from valve cover cover to just valve cover. we shall see.

did you get a chance to check the flange?

I wasn't too happy, but what am I going to do? It is an easy fix, and now that I have it out and fixed I am probably going to get it jet-hot coated too. Just takes a lot of time to take all of the stuff out and put everything back in. Since I have it all torn apart I'm also installing the Corksport Radiator, new slim fans, and maybe an S-Pipe if (I can find one).

I just got done checking mine and it does have a slight wobble to it. It's small enough that it might not even leak but I'd like to check it again since I don't have a true straight edge handy. FWIW my coffee table and desk had the same results. I will post again when I get my hands on one.

did you get a chance to check the flange?

tried, cant see anything cause the flange covers the head. im not taking it off just to see if its off, thats alot of work. if everyone finds theirs is off i will but its just too much work haha.

tried, cant see anything cause the flange covers the head. im not taking it off just to see if its off, thats alot of work. if everyone finds theirs is off i will but its just too much work haha.

your so lazy, geez. just playing, i sure hope the new batch is alright. i dont like buying ****** up products. been there, done that ;)

Back