es to a p5?

2003proes

:
2003 Mazda Protege ES
i am thinking of looking at trading my 03 es for an 03 p5. only issue i'm having is that the p5 is an automatic, and the my current is a manual. how much slower is the manual versus the automatic? i don't race anymore, but i do like to accelerate rapidly from time to time. and is the gas consumption worse or comprable. i get about 30 mpg right now. thanks!

Last edited:
ES has a 2.0, right? If that's the case then it'll be like trading for the same car, except auto which isn't as fun! Might as well get a Mazda3 hatch instead so at least it'll be a step up.

forget it... it's a major downgrade since the P5 is not only heavier, auto cars are even heavier plus the fact that they rob power!

hmmm...I thought the p5 was lighter...I think someone in the p5vs sedan said the p5 weighed lighter than the sedan...hmmm

yes...my es has the 2.0. i love my car, but i am starting to desire the added room that the p5 would allow. and the p5 wouldn't be too much money cause it's older.

The P5 is heavier, but not by a lot. I probably would pass on the automatic, but would pick a manual over an ES any day.

Your ES is lighter with the same engine, better transmission and more USEABLE space than the P5. Sure, the P5 hauls some good sized things with the back seats down but the ES is longer so it has a bigger cargo area. You can probably expect to lose about 2 mpg in the city and 1 mpg on the highway.

Keep your ES. It's a nice car.

i'd say wait and find a good manual P5. i hauled 2 twin sized beds in the back that were sitting on 4 doors. only problem is that mazda didnt really give a good tie down place when the hatch cant close all the way...

still wondering about the gas mileage on the 2.0 auto p5?
I get about 25 mpg with AC at 70-80 on the frwy with sport auto. I could probably pull 27 or 28 driving it nicer. Faster than regular auto, slower than manual but the manuals are so much faster than all other cars so it doesn't matter. lol. Is gas like 2.00 again or is everybody driving slower now anyways? Other than track day it'll be OK. You'll just keep yourself from breaking stuff or blowing the motor as quick with auto. Also depends on who's gonna be using it & for what. If you're gonna be sharing it with a woman who has limited or no stick time then the auto car might survive longer.

Last edited:
I drive an auto p5 and I still manage to tap a whole ton of fun out of it! I love my damn car! It's the sport-auto (failtronic, autotragic, sucktronic, etc).

Do you like to rev high? Or do you typically shift in the 2500-3500 range?

I've riden in an ES and my Pro5, and while the es is longer, pro5 has more space due to the hatch to haul things. MPG will go down a teeny bit from the ES to Pro5.

I have both manual, mine, and an sportronic, hers, and love em both. I personally prefer the 5speed, but that's just me.

I say go for it! But, essentially, you're getting the exact same car but with a hatch.

I've riden in an ES and my Pro5, and while the es is longer, pro5 has more space due to the hatch to haul things. MPG will go down a teeny bit from the ES to Pro5.

I have both manual, mine, and an sportronic, hers, and love em both. I personally prefer the 5speed, but that's just me.

I say go for it! But, essentially, you're getting the exact same car but with a hatch.

Yes, but bodystyle makes or breaks a car sometimes for some people. So for me it would be like getting a way sweeter car!

So, I guess what I'm saying is that if you're not totally excited about the way a P5 looks, don't bother getting one.

Wife and I both looked at sedans, i wanted the MSP, but, decided the hatch is most practical. And, we've used both cars to the full extent with the hatches. lol

Glad we bought what we did

Back