Engine Overheating

wiseowl

:
Mazda CX-7
Has anyone experienced engine overheating problems? Besides replacing the thermostat any other ideas? Thanks.

Overheating means running into the HOT level and shut it down or just warmer than usual? First thing I do is check the fluid level in the resivoir. Second thing is to remove the radiator cap and see if you see coolant. Next thing to check, is there a piece of garbage bag stick on the front of the AC/radiator.

Thanks but I checked the obvious; air blockage in front of radiator, coolant level full. The overheating spikes the temp. readout. I guess I'll replace the thermostat. i don't know if it's a common problem with the 2.3L engine. To get to the thermostat, I must remove the power steering pump. The top 2 bolts are easy to get to but the bittom bolt is impossible??? Is there an end???

Yes good chance its the thermostat but check for the electric fans coming on too,check the fan relay fuse etc..if it gets hot and you turn on the a/c the fans should go on and might bring the temp down if the fans arent coming on when you run it in the driveway and its at operating temp or higher then its a fan problem, some vehicles actually have a module that controls the fan operations, you should be able to zero in your problem running it up to temp and looking under the hood and watching if your fans come on or not.if the fans dont come on,turn on the a/c, if the fan goes on and temp goes down, its definetly a fan problem,If the fans are on and you have plenty of fluid, not too much antifreeze, not more than 50 percent mix for most states,and you still overheat most likely the thermostat,less likely its a plugeed radiator but not out of the question,so good luck to you and hope this helps...

So what did you find and how was the problem solved? We try to help our fellow CX7 owners and they often done't even come back to let us know how the problem was solved or a thank you. Ed

I'm starting to see that as i go through the threads here - im new as you can tell and i always see a question asked, answered and no reply by the OP as to how the issue was resolved which doesnt help others.

you can tell if the t-stat is working by checking the upper and lower hoses to see if there is a temperature difference.

I changed the thermostat on a 2007 CX7, and the temperature fluctuates wildly. I have a scanner connected, and temp goes up and down while driving. How do I get all the air out?

Back