Engine Light On: 2002 Mazda Protege ES 2.0L

ARD208

:
2002 Mazda Protege ES
My check engine light came on and I don't seem to know what the problem is. I recently installed an Injen Cold Air Intake and a new custom exhaust manifold. All of the air sensors are plugged in, the car performs fine (if not even better) and all the wired and piped components for the manifold are properly connected.

I think it might be that my protege is not used to these new performance mods. My car does not have any performance chips and was not tuned after the installation of the new intake and exhaust manifold. I don't know if that would be the problem but its just a thought.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem or know how to fix it?

**EDIT**

Here are some pics of the new manifold. Maybe it will be easier to point out the problem.

Before:
img00067v.jpg

After:
img00069n.jpg

Last edited:
It appears that you didn't do the non-fouler trick?

On the sensors that plug into the manifold, you need to take 2 spark plug non-floulers (second sensor), screw them together, screw the sensor into that and then screw the entire assembly back into the manifold. Like this...

002-10.jpg

Last edited:
No, i am currently not doing that.

I did the research and am running to Autozone tomorrow. If I'm not mistaken, I should be looking for 2 of these foulers for both sensors? or only the lower sensor?

1fouleron.jpg

Also, is not doing that trick bad for the censors to have them directly screwed in?

Doing this is fine for your sensors. It doesn't hurt anything, it just tricks the engine into thinking everything is functioning normally, eliminating the CEL.

Back