ECU alterations and opinions

mavreix

:
Protege, 02 ES
Im curious about programming chips/computers for my protege- I would like a fully programmable one that is easy to change but wanted to talk to some people about the kinds available. I really want to the computer to lower the amount of fuel sent to the engine as I do a lot of highway traveling and have no need for high power but on the weekends I like to be able to have a little boost around town. Is there any good read-ups on this that someone could point me to? Any recommendations of chips to look into?

You don't mention which car you have, but if you have a 99-03 protege (3rd gen), you can pretty much give up now. There are no after market chips or chip mods, or ECU mods. The mazda ECU was locked down tight, and the only successful modifications have been standalone modules or piggy backs. I am running a Haltech E6X for my turbo kit, and that takes control of much of the ECU wiring. You won't find flash or chip upgrades, though. Sorry!

If someone knows of something, correct me, please.

not sure which mazda you have but if you have a dx/lx/es you can invest in a mp3 ecu which is about the only ecu other than an a standalone engine management system as mentioned.

Back