DVD Headrest

noob question:

to hear the sound from the dvd players w/o headphones you'd either need to use an FM transmitter or hardwire into the headunit, right?

followup:
is it possible to control the movie (play/pause/etc) from the head unit, or do you have to use the remote in the back or something?

thanks in advance. great site...glad I found it!

Any regrets yet?

So after a few months of usage, have any of you noticed anything flakey about the Innovatek HR700's?

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a set. Also in the running are these units.https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) Each monitor comes with its own DVD player, but the resolution is not as high (1440 x 234) and it is not clear whether they can display the input same source.

Any long term info/feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I just bought these:
http://mp3playerstore.com/stuff_you_need/special/HR-709.html

They look pretty nice and I'm impressed with the quality and features for the money. I haven't installed them yet but I did power them up to see if they work and the picture looks decent.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it end up costing you with shipping and everything. And did you buy a pair or just one?

I just installed mine recently, but mine does not have a built in DVD player because I wanted to use a PS2 as a DVD source instead. Anyways it cost me $250 for a pair of the LCD headrests. Maybe I'll post some pics soon.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it end up costing you with shipping and everything. And did you buy a pair or just one?

I just installed mine recently, but mine does not have a built in DVD player because I wanted to use a PS2 as a DVD source instead. Anyways it cost me $250 for a pair of the LCD headrests. Maybe I'll post some pics soon.
$315 total including taxes and shipping. I ordered one DVD unit and one LCD-only unit, but they ended up sending me 2 DVD units. It also included 2 wireless headphone sets and a TV antenna.

Did you buy the Innovatek HR-709s as well?

$315 total including taxes and shipping. I ordered one DVD unit and one LCD-only unit, but they ended up sending me 2 DVD units. It also included 2 wireless headphone sets and a TV antenna.

Did you buy the Innovatek HR-709s as well?

That is a very good deal. If only I knew about it. I did not buy innovatek, I bought a China brand one that came with TV antenna also, which is sorta pointless on a moving vehicle. But I bought it because the color matched pretty well on my beige interior, and works well, and quality is decent since it uses a Sharp LCD monitor. Anyways, post some pics when you have them installed!!!

Pictures of my setup:

Attachments

• headrests1.JPG
    headrests1.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 957
  • headrest2.JPG
    headrest2.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 1,263
  • headrest3.JPG
    headrest3.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 914
Looks Nice

Thanks for the post. As with all planning something else came up... So scknight2, although you got 2 DVD players, can they share the same video source? Are you still able to use the Play Station as an input source?

Thanks for the post. As with all planning something else came up... So scknight2, although you got 2 DVD players, can they share the same video source? Are you still able to use the Play Station as an input source?
Yes, I have them hooked up so that they can play the same source, or different. So far, very happy with them. My kid loves them...and so does my sanity!

Not sure about the Playstation.

Last edited:
So for anyone reading this older thread, please do your homework before ordering from MP3PlayerStore (see link above in someone elses post). I did not and wish I did. If you search for reviews of them, you will see what I mean.

And for anyone who is contemplating adding DVD headrests to the 5, go for it, it's much easier than it seems.

So for anyone reading this older thread, please do your homework before ordering from MP3PlayerStore (see link above in someone elses post). I did not and wish I did. If you search for reviews of them, you will see what I mean.

And for anyone who is contemplating adding DVD headrests to the 5, go for it, it's much easier than it seems.
Ya, I saw the bad reviews right after I placed my order with them and thought I was screwed. After not getting a tracking number for 2 days, I sent them an email asking about it and they replied right away with the number. Everything showed up fine and was packaged well.

By the way, they are still working great, all the way down to -26C temperature, then you have to wait for the car to warm up a little before they will play. My kid loves em!

I'm going to need LCD screens in my Headrests in the next few months. My baby girl is going to be front facing before too long and these will be sweet for our frequent road trips to our place in the mountains. However if it's possible I'll want to keep my factory headrests. I'm kinda OCD about making sure there is a consistent look. Even though those installs look good, I can't help but instantly notice how non-OEM they look.

Glad to have this as a resource.

Last edited:
I'm going to need LCD screens in my Headrests in the next few months. My baby girl is going to be front facing before too long and these will be sweet for our frequent road trips to our place in the mountains. However if it's possible I'll want to keep my factory headrests. I'm kinda OCD about making sure there is a consistent look. Even though those installs look good, I can't help but instantly notice how non-OEM they look.

Glad to have this as a resource.
Keep her rear facing for as long as possible!

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

Unfortunately for us, in Canada they only test our carseat to 30lbs rear facing, which means I HAD to turn my daughter around. The same carseat in the US is rated to 35lbs. Unbelievable.

Keep her rear facing for as long as possible!

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

Unfortunately for us, in Canada they only test our carseat to 30lbs rear facing, which means I HAD to turn my daughter around. The same carseat in the US is rated to 35lbs. Unbelievable.

I will. She turns one in two days and I think she'll be rear facing until she's 18 months or so. But I'll need the info on these headrests soon enough.

That would probably depend on which headrest you have. The ones I just bought have an audio/video in and out for each headrest that you simply just connect together.

That is the company I bought from and those are pretty much the same ones I ordered, but I went for the 9 inch. I was a little worried because the company has a lot of bad reviews if you do a search through google. They also sell on Ebay and the reviews on Ebay were not as bad. I ended up buying from them through Ebay. I used Paypal to pay so I was cover incase of a scam. The next day after ordering I recieved a confirmation email from them and the day after that an email saying that my order had shipped and a tracking number was included. They arrived very quickly and I am quite happy with them so far. I don't have them installed yet but I did use a battery to power them up to make sure everything was okay.

Back