DVD Headrest

Thanks. I've now safely connected the first headrest. Now for the second. What is best for the 2nd headrest? Repeat the process and connect to another fuse? Can I ground to exactly the same bolt as the first headrest, or must it be to a completely different place?

Thanks. I've now safely connected the first headrest. Now for the second. What is best for the 2nd headrest? Repeat the process and connect to another fuse? Can I ground to exactly the same bolt as the first headrest, or must it be to a completely different place?

Yes another fuse.
Same ground is fine.

I see no problem with 2 X 1.5A DVD players off the same 5A circuit. Plenty of different devices in the car are run off the same circuit.

The piggyback you buy should have an amp rating, just don't exceed that. It's based more on the wire gauge coming off the piggyback than anything.

I gave up since my kids don't always sit in the middle row- Just today the two older ones ended up sitting in the third row, with the 4 month old baby in the middle.

I think attaching monitor headrests to the second row so that they can see in the back is a bad idea, judging by how often those seats move/fold/etc. If the top doesn't get crushed while folding, the wires are likely to get yanked out by sliding the seat around.

Instead, I took a 7" video display for an ipod (one of those netbook-looking units that you are supposed to attach an ipod to for a bigger screen and louder speakers), and used a bungee to attach it to the arm rests in the second row. Then I ran a video cable under the floor mats to the front driver's seat, where I was playing video off my phone. I think I rather like this better than a DVD unit, because my kids are still little (2 and 5 in the back row), and want me to control the movie for them. I can also see what they are seeing up front from my device, and pause/play/skip for them.
This solution is admittedly ghetto, but I can control the video for them, doesn't require any fancy dash wiring, and I can take the whole thing out when we're not on long trips (which means they won't get spoiled asking for something to watch on a short 5 min drive... LONG TRIPS ONLY!).

Drove to an aquarium an hour away today, this solution worked out perfectly (I'll take pics to illustrate next time) and didn't look half bad. Looks like a screen is embedded between the two middle seats (the bungee cord is hardly visible).

I know most of you probably aren't interested in something crude like this, but just a suggestion for anyone reading this thread and having second thoughts about wiring stuff up, or installing anything "permanent" in the car.

Last edited:
Can you snap a picture? This is very similar to the method I want to use. I can't picture how the bugee could suspend the screen between the seats without it bouncing all over the place.

Do you have a link to the screen? It's meant for an ipod?

I'll take a picture next time we do it, but the screen is the ipod one from sonic impact:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I actually don't own an ipod, but I have a couple of HTC phones with Video Out as well as a Zune. Most of these "ipod screen" units support external video in, just in case you don't own the exact ipod generation it was designed to fit (there are so many incompatible generations of hardware, its a wonder accessories sell as well as they do!). The bottom line here is that any device with video out (ipod, zune, phone, game system, DVD, VCR, camcorder, etc) can be plugged into it.

The unit fits almost exactly across the two arm rests, so a strategically placed tight bungee around it to the arm rests underneath keep it tied down pretty snug. I would be extremely surprised if it moved around at all while driving.

My optional next step is to wire up the audio to the car instead of the unit's speakers. Should be easy since my source is coming from the driver's seat instead of way back there. Still, my '07 needs an aux jack put in first... :)

Ok- this is my lazy man's solution, with pictures as requested.

NOTE: I'm not trying to take this thread off topic, and I am still a fan of actually mounting proper headrest monitors as was the intended title of the thread to begin with. There are a few reasons I choose to do it this way, however:
1) We play musical chairs with the car seats. Depending on where we're going and what we're doing, the kids could end up in various configurations of seating. Having permanently mounted displays seems impractical, especially if they are all the way in the back. Which brings me to #2:
2) Having a display on the middle row headrest seems impractical... those seats move around too much for any permanent wiring to be securely fastened. Plus, a larger headrest would probably prevent the seat from being able to fold.
3) I had all the components needed to do it this way already around the house.
4) I guess I was also lazy. :)

That being said, without further ado I present the display for the third row:

Here it is as seen from the sliding door, looking back at it. You'll notice the red bungee is visible underneath the unit, securing it in place. If that bothered me enough, I'd get a black one so it would be barely noticeable. But, I had red laying around, so I went with it.
IMG_5520.jpg

I assure you, that thing is on SNUG, and not going anywhere, no matter how many sharp turns you throw at it. Here it is from the back seat:
IMG_5518.jpg

I'll admit the red bungee is kind of unsightly, but that's the color I had laying around. You could always get one to match the fabric or the unit color.

Anyway, what I do is run an RCA cable up to the front seat where I can control the video coming out of my HTC phone. Works pretty well so far, but the other day my daughter had a guest in the back seat with her, forcing my 2 year old into the middle where he couldn't see the display anymore. So, I did this:

IMG_5517.jpg

IMG_5524.jpg

Wedged the phone in between my headrest and seat back. I lose my ability to control the content or start the next video (not to mention the ability to ANSWER the phone if someone calls!), but set up a playlist and everyone is able to see the video just fine (although admittedly smaller for my son since my phone is a sub 4" screen)!

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. It looks like the DVD player has to be removed the get in/out of the seat? That HTC would sure put an eye strain on my little one's eyes. :)

I think I'm going to give a configuration like this a try - http://www.instructables.com/id/Portable-DVD-Player-Car-Mount/
I will not have it just sitting up there like that, but angled down more with some back support and propped slightly against the back of the seat. I'll take some pics once I try it.

I had an idea about a PMP too. We've got an old digital camera that does video (like most) just collecting dust. It has some cables to hook it up to the TV. If I can easily convert the video to a format it likes, I can just feed that to the portable DVD player. No ipod/zune necessary. Will let you know how that works out.

Thanks for the pics. It looks like the DVD player has to be removed the get in/out of the seat? That HTC would sure put an eye strain on my little one's eyes. :)

I think I'm going to give a configuration like this a try - http://www.instructables.com/id/Portable-DVD-Player-Car-Mount/
I will not have it just sitting up there like that, but angled down more with some back support and propped slightly against the back of the seat. I'll take some pics once I try it.

I had an idea about a PMP too. We've got an old digital camera that does video (like most) just collecting dust. It has some cables to hook it up to the TV. If I can easily convert the video to a format it likes, I can just feed that to the portable DVD player. No ipod/zune necessary. Will let you know how that works out.

Ah, good luck with that. I've tried to do that once years ago- I wanted to play a video on a TV, and my camera had video out cables, so I tried to convert a video into something it could play off its memory card. Was a nightmare, and never got it to read anything that wasn't shot on the camera in the first place.
It appears to be very sensitive about the codec, bitrate, etc, anything other than what it is expecting just throws a giant question mark icon and an unplayable video. I tried so hard to match exactly the settings of video it recorded, and eventually gave up.

I'm swapping my phone soon, and the new ones don't have regular RCA out like my old trusty HTC phone did... the new ones do HDMI out, which is useless to me in the car. Having a bulky HDMI to analog converter in the loop here is out of the question, so now I'm rethinking my setup.

Maybe I'll sell this monitor and just get a portable DVD player to mount there instead. Saw a good deal on cheap sylvania ones.

Yea, that never worked. Even when matching the format/bitrate/etc. of a video it took, it just refused to play one I put on it.

Never did the headrest mount either. Some friends just let us barrow a dual strap-on setup that worked fine for our needs. Too bad there's not a color that matches our sand interior, otherwise I'd install a pair of headrests.

Hi. I was one of the earlier posters in this thread. Slightly off topic, but one of my headrest DVD sets is playing up. It a generic from China. When I put a DVD inside it says "disc not found". Although the same disc works fine in the other set. Sometimes I can get around this by pressing down hard on the DVD door until it "discovers" the DVD. Any ideas on how I can get this to work? THANKS

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I'm looking at installing a pair of these in our new Mazda 5 and have a question.

I'll likely used the add a circuit, which should give me constant power, but the DVD headrest I'm looking at wants a 12v constant for memory and an ACC power source. Any suggestions? I'd rather not tap into the stereo.

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I'm looking at installing a pair of these in our new Mazda 5 and have a question.

I'll likely used the add a circuit, which should give me constant power, but the DVD headrest I'm looking at wants a 12v constant for memory and an ACC power source. Any suggestions? I'd rather not tap into the stereo.

You can try making your own adapter harness. You can buy the male and female connectors from ebay. Here are their links.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
DSC06321.jpg

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
2.jpg

Back