Driving and RPMs

Here is a question for whomever,

At what point do you generally upshift your MP3? I generally upshift around 3800 RPM for regular relaxed driving and about 4500 - 5500 when I want to get somewhere fast. Will running your engine at high RPM for short duration shorten the usable life of your engine? Am I being too cautious? Am I not having enough fun with my car?

relaxed driving i shift about 2500 to 3000. if im pushing it redline (thats what a 6year warranty is for) but i dont redline it that much. i get on it pretty hard 5000-6000 when getting on the freeway.

my question for racing what is a good RPM to launch at 2500 with a slip of the clutch?

my question for racing what is a good RPM to launch at 2500 with a slip of the clutch?
Actually I have launched at 3G myself and found the car to chirp a little bit and then grip...I do take it to 6G in first then switch. ;)

normal driving upshift at 3000 or so
i have yet to bring it past 5500. 2800 miles on her so far.
but my 79 rx7 i cruse around at 4000 to 4500 rpms. hard shift at 8000 rmps. ya gota love rotaries for that reason alone.

i find that the gearing in first will only let you go so fast, that hitting 6 grand only results in a loss of power...i launch at 3 and shift around 5...the rpms drop right in the middle of the power band...sweet.

yeah i think ur right kep0 just a loss of power after 5 grand i have taken my all the way to the rev limiter at about 7200 in first gear. These cars are tough

Well, I launch at 4, yes 4, and the tires never even chirp. Why? Cause my stock clutch slips like hell. Getting it back tomorrow with the ACT in, should catch a hell of a 2nd now :)

Originally posted by ezrider1026:
<STRONG>yeah i think ur right kep0 just a loss of power after 5 grand i have taken my all the way to the rev limiter at about 7200 in first gear. These cars are tough</STRONG>

That's not right...Max power is at 6000 rpm. You'll lose some torque after 4500 but not power. And to get the most acceleration out of the car you need to shift in between 5900-6000 rpm. If you shift sooner, you won't be in the "power band" for the new gear.

Maximum acceleration at any speed occurs at the HP peak and maximum acceleration in any gear occurs at the torque peak.

didn't now there is alimiter at 7200. I got it upto 6500rpm but found the same thing!!.
Probably is better to shift around 6000rpm
from now on. I like my car to be around for a while.

That's not right...Max power is at 6000 rpm. You'll lose some torque after 4500 but not power. And to get the most acceleration out of the car you need to shift in between 5900-6000 rpm. If you shift sooner, you won't be in the "power band" for the new gear.

Maximum acceleration at any speed occurs at the HP peak and maximum acceleration in any gear occurs at the torque peak.

well at WOT in first, ive run it all the way to 6 grand, and it simply feels as if there is no acceleration left after 5...maybe thats because its revving so high and im still at a low speed and i tend to associate high revs with speed when i hear it. ill have to give it a few runs tonight and see if theres a difference.

well on my mp3 i have a shift light with the 6.6 pill and 6600rpm seems to be just right to shift at i found the best performance at that rpm through the gears

I tested it already, a couple of times.If you want mad power shift first gear at 6600rpms and 6300rpms in 2nd gear then 6100 is enough for 3rd,4th and 5th whatever the car can do. I noticed to shift exactly at 6600rpms in first and i was at 35-36mph in first as i shift to second at 6600rpms it jumped to 42 0r more just like that, and i don't double clutch. If you double clutch alot then your MP3 will no longer be running cause it messes up the motor. I know a friend from San Diego that pink slip races all the time and he raced in his integra and double clutched all the time, his Integra is no longer running he's driving his SUV for awhile untill he fixes his INteg.

Here is something that I found interesting. At this link: http://www.bgsoflex.com/auto.html . There is a calculation program on the left side down towards the bottom called "Optimum shift program" or something like that.

I filled it out with information that I could determine and guessed a little based off that. But, the more accurate the info the better the detail...

It told me that shifting in between 5900-6000 for gear each was the best bet. It might not be totally accurate but it is interesting.

It said to shift at about 5996 or something from first to second and then gradually went down for each gear, never dropping below 5920 I think.

Give it a shot...

Based off of what I know in general, going much farther beyong the max power point your not going to accelerate as fast. Reference the phrase: Maximum acceleration at any speed occurs at the HP peak and maximum acceleration in any gear occurs at the torque peak. Just a thought, and my opinion...You might do better going beyond 6000 rpm.

Testing with a stop watch would be the accurate to determine what way accelerates better/quicker.

at 60 mph in 4th you can down shift to 3rd and have the rpm a little above 4g and still have a little bit of room to accerlrate on the hwy to about 70 or so then hit it up to 4th... :p

i gave it a run last night...with a good 3grand launch, running it to 6grand doesnt show a noticable power loss....guess ill shift at 6 now...hehe

Well I went out and tested my car on shifts and timed it. Launched it at 3500(highest I have launched it yet) Shifting at 6K at first, 5900 for second, and 6200 for third, fourth and fifth. Oh yeh, the rpm tach never went down past 5500...during shifts. I hit 60 at exactly 8secs...will try for better...which I think can be acheived if I get a perfect launch..The only mod I do have is a Injen CAI.

Hey deepcover6 have you notice any gains through gears or extra push at topend power???????????

Triton, well I can safely say that I do notice that there is a noticable difference on the top end, feels like it is breathing freely enough to get to the high rpms faster then before. I pull even on the low end as well around 2500, as long as I keep on pushing it to 6K then I feel it. It has like a quick build up effect, I don't know how to better describe it...but it feels like turbo lag...when I depress slowly...but as soon as I punch it...WHAM I can feel the pull. Plus when I am doing 70mph I can get to 95mph a whole lot faster then before. Does feel quite torquey even when I am at high speeds. I have kept up with cars which pack way more then what we have under the hood, and suprizingly hanged with em. Our car isn't that wimpy at all even though the numbers make it seem to be so. U got to love the sound though ....it is unique...with the CAI...not many 4 bangers got that sound at WOT and just regular rpms.

ok boys and girls, why shift early? it will pull 4 me 2 7000 eagerly! from 3 to 4 i shift at 80 @ or around 7000!! as far as launching depends on road surface and tires. u cannot hurt these cars, pcm will not let u over rev. dont be scared to take it 2 7000! get the full effect from ur car enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back