Dragonballspeed Build (Finding an Identity)

PM sent.

Your AWR mounts will work just fine, you just need to swap out the motor mount bracket on the pass. side of the motor. The Milly mount is shorter by about 1". It needs to get swapped out with a KLZE or PGT straight neck mount.

PM sent.

Your AWR mounts will work just fine, you just need to swap out the motor mount bracket on the pass. side of the motor. The Milly mount is shorter by about 1". It needs to get swapped out with a KLZE or PGT straight neck mount.

Thanks Lewis, I figured that was the problem area. Do you have any comparison pics of the 2 brackets?

I'm pretty sure the Milly mount is on the left.

bracket.jpg

I thought I had another pic of the height but I guess not...

But seeing you've got plenty of space to work with the swap won't be tough at all and they bolt up just fine. Not sure why Mazda had to go and make that tiny change.

I'm pretty sure the Milly mount is on the left.

bracket.jpg

I thought I had another pic of the height but I guess not...

But seeing you've got plenty of space to work with the swap won't be tough at all and they bolt up just fine. Not sure why Mazda had to go and make that tiny change.

That looks to be about exactly the realestate I need to make up. Now to begin searching. I knew the stud were too long, but I retained the old ones from my FS motor. Anyone on here have an extra bracket laying around?

Small update, the pedal box is now complete and tacked together. Will be TIG welded by a welder much better than myself . Now that this is done, proper steering colum length can be established. Also I have to say for anyone who has welded on the engine bay sheet metal, this sh#t is thin. Because of this reason, I may remove the factory firewall and replace it with a 16 gauge panel in its place. This does 2 things, stonger mounting points for the pedal box and that clean flat firewall look. However this is still TBD.

DSCN1959.JPG

Unfortunately the origial brake box design didn't pan out due to steering column interference. Pictures below is the way it all finally worked out.
IMG_00000076.jpg

IMG_00000077.jpg

Last edited:
How much did the rear brake kit set you back? Does it still you the stock ebrake?

nice build DBS - lots of solid fab work - great to see a nother serious build - your peddle box looks adventurous - we wanted a solution that would require little fab work which is why we used stock peddles. dealing with the steering rack location seemed to much work for a street build. now our track car, floor peddles maybe? :)

you got a link to the front control arms you're going to run? curious as ours are in development now. would be interesting to compare designs.

anyway hit me up if you need anything serious. our rear subframe and sway set up will be done real soon. seems like your build might warrant it

nice build DBS - lots of solid fab work - great to see a nother serious build - your peddle box looks adventurous - we wanted a solution that would require little fab work which is why we used stock peddles. dealing with the steering rack location seemed to much work for a street build. now our track car, floor peddles maybe? :)

you got a link to the front control arms you're going to run? curious as ours are in development now. would be interesting to compare designs.

anyway hit me up if you need anything serious. our rear subframe and sway set up will be done real soon. seems like your build might warrant it

Believe me, the steering rack has been a PITA in relation to new pedals. Definitely not for the average streeet guy. The LCA's I plan on using are modified stock with adjustable heim to help with roll center mostly. If I dont go that route, I was thinking about an arm similar to the Dominant Engineering ones. I like the solid one peice idea. I will be interested to see what you have for the rear subframe, but suspension is last in line for the moment. Im hoping to finish the vast majority of my fab in the coming weeks.

How much did the rear brake kit set you back? Does it still you the stock ebrake?

I am still able to use an e-brake, but it's not stock. My rear kit incorporates a C5 internal parking brake, drum, and it set me back as much as the front did when I bought it

Couple of teaser pics of things to come.

Wilwood pedal assembly, MC's & Gas pedal cover
DSCN1973.JPG

One of my newest aquired parts
DSCN1960.JPG

And the motor that just sits in a crate for now
DSCN1971.JPG

SO lazy last weekend and didnt get anything accomplished. However I finally got back into ther attic to pull down the ZE IM to get a full picture before I start tearing it down again. Let's just say the fit is tight and I probably wont be able to use the outlaw spacers that came with it and the strut tower bar. Take a look at that clearance.

DSCN1984.JPG

DSCN1985.JPG

I cant waint until I get the "Real Stuff" in. Once I do go boosted again, I'm going to try and fit the turbo directly above the driver motor mount. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
You should probably keep the IM spacers and sell me the strut tower bar. ;)

With my DE IM and a CorkSport bar and thermal spacer it was touching too but I got lucky and just had to grind down a bolt head.

Is that an AWR bar? I've been looking for a one piece design (AWR, Carbing, etc) but want to make sure it clears the IM before buying.

Yes that is the first and only AWR bar ( according to Tony) that has been made since the original protoype. I'm not too worried about the spacers because I plan to ceramic coat the IM, or I could always modifiy it too. That's TBD.

The last item on the list I have to decide wether or not to do is the firewall. I'm highly considering cutting out the OEM firewall and replacing with 16 gauge flat panel for a cleaner look. Plus I only have to spot weld in one large piece instead of filling and body working a bunch of little holes.

Back