DP removal

NCoppersmith

:
Mazdaspeed Protege 3.5
I have the iON 3" exhaust setup, and I need to pull the downpipe off to weld in a new sensor bung for my wideband (the old one is not optimally placed, to say the least) Looking at the setup (and forgive my ignorance) the piece I need to pull bolts straight up to the turbo and then to the cat. The two bolts connecting it to the cat should be easy. The four bolts (or more) holding it to the turbo, not so much. Two bolts I can get to easily from underneath the car, but it looks like for the two closest to the engine I'm going to have to pull the header off. (or exhaust manifold, whatever you call the part that says Callaway on it)

Is there an easier way? I'm assuming that if I can even get the header off (those bolts look dang rusty) I'll need to at minimum replace the gasket. Am I overanalyzing it or is it really that involved? (also have the iON FMIC and iNJEN SRI so the front of the engine is pretty roomy)

does your midpipe have the J portion of the DP on it or do you have the complete stock DP both S and J sections. To remove the stock S pipe section you need to remove the Whole damn thing Turbo mani, turbo and S pipe. If all you need is to get at the lower section which is know as the J pipe it's only 3 bolts. You shouldn't need to get any higher then the j pipe for a wide band. s*** you should be able to mount it before the cat if you even have one without any issues. It would be easier to add wiring then go through all that work though.

I have a pipe that goes from the turbo to the cat and thats it. Since I have to take the part to have the bung welded, I need to remove it from the vehicle. It's not stock at all, it's 3" turbo back. There's a bung already on it (the down pipe), but if you attach a sensor to it, the sensor actually points down at an angle where it's the lowest thing on the car, it concerns me that if I were to "straddle" a piece of rubber or ice chunk while driving it would shear or damage the sensor.

so your saying you have a complete pipe from the turbo to the cat??? I'm curious which DP you have. The Corksport that you would have on there is 2 pieces. GHL is divorced so 2 pipes up top. There never was a true 3" turbo back exhaust produced.
Please post pics of your set-up.
Either way you have to take the whole fucker out and put the whole b**** in as one solid unit, I hate they way it's set-up, Esp since I loose the Damn S-pipe bolts on a weekly basis. It's gotten the the point that I tighten the 2 stilling my DP on before I start the car everytime.

so your saying you have a complete pipe from the turbo to the cat??? I'm curious which DP you have. The Corksport that you would have on there is 2 pieces. GHL is divorced so 2 pipes up top. There never was a true 3" turbo back exhaust produced.
Please post pics of your set-up.
Either way you have to take the whole fucker out and put the whole b**** in as one solid unit, I hate they way it's set-up, Esp since I loose the Damn S-pipe bolts on a weekly basis. It's gotten the the point that I tighten the 2 stilling my DP on before I start the car everytime.

if i remember correctly, the ion exhaust had one piece off the turbo all the way down to beneath the car.

Warrior 4 nailed it. Let me get some pics. Anyway, I got all but the two inside lower bolts on the manifold off. My 12mm 12pt wrench (craftsman) is too shallow to really grab those bolts and I don't want to strip them. (they're borderline iffy) what I really need is a 6pt wrench or insanely shallow socket, neither of which I can find at Snap On's website. Exhaust is the iON 3" Turbo back exhaust. This was installed by the original owner, who basically tried to create an identical car to what he read in a magazine. (the glove box even had the article clippings in it!) http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0411tur_project_mazdaspeed_protege/index.html

So how do you get those stupid freaking inside lower manifold bolts off? (Stock callaway)

Attachments

• IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Back