do the Electric superchargers work??

goldwing2000 said:
I think not. I trust the Knight unit to actually deliver what it promises.

Not that I'm going to rush right out and buy one, though...
My problem with the Knight unit is that its just the blower, no pipeing no power ,supply no ,ecu, if you could find someone to install it you would spend about 2k on the support systems. Let not forget the battery array will add wight. But is it came as a kit and was about 3k i would get one

Agreed. It would definitely be a logistical nightmare to install it on our little canbus system.

But hey... whaddya want for a couple hundred bucks? (bang)

I think those lightweight batteries he had wouldn't slow you down too much.

rodslinger said:
Heck yeah it works... Didn't you check the dyno?

Go get one of these too...
http://www.k-g-racing.com/lot_usa/turbo.html

Thomas Knights work has been questionable to a lot of different people. I haven't seen it myself so I can't comment, only pass on what I have heard. What I wonder is how much does that electric setup of his weigh? That might mitigate some of his power claims...
He mentions that on the his webpage, battery pack is not a huge wait gain. real problem is the team of eltrical enginers you will need to install i

well,

I've always heard that an electric supercharger in any form, be it a boat blower to the better ones, are a waste of money. They just can't put out the pressure, from what i understand, they can blow lots of air, but not actually make any real boost, like a fan pretty much. THey just can't exceed the flow that the engine is already taking in.

BUT, i think that in some time, there will be some advances and maybe they might actually be "do-able" in a few years time. I wonder what type of motors these guys are using and if they've tried using the new BRUSHLESS motors. These are still fairly new and $$$$$$$$ expensive, but they put out around 6000 rpm/volt. so 12 volts, if that's what'd run off (i don't know much bout this stuff) would be up around 72000 rpm and they are STRONG and very efficient and durable. From what I understand they kinda work like a normal motor in reverse in that the armature or whatever you call it is fixed and the rest of the motor spins.

Any thoughts or am i just too burnt????

greenman said:
well,

I've always heard that an electric supercharger in any form, be it a boat blower to the better ones, are a waste of money. They just can't put out the pressure, from what i understand, they can blow lots of air, but not actually make any real boost, like a fan pretty much. THey just can't exceed the flow that the engine is already taking in.

BUT, i think that in some time, there will be some advances and maybe they might actually be "do-able" in a few years time. I wonder what type of motors these guys are using and if they've tried using the new BRUSHLESS motors. These are still fairly new and $$$$$$$$ expensive, but they put out around 6000 rpm/volt. so 12 volts, if that's what'd run off (i don't know much bout this stuff) would be up around 72000 rpm and they are STRONG and very efficient and durable. From what I understand they kinda work like a normal motor in reverse in that the armature or whatever you call it is fixed and the rest of the motor spins.

Any thoughts or am i just too burnt????
Sounds like you're talking about squirrel cage induction motors. As you state, they have no brushes and are highly efficient but require AC or chopped DC to operate. They will not operate on straight DC. On some of the newer diesel-electric railroad locomotives that use these types of motors, the diesel engine drives an alternator whose AC output is rectified to DC. The DC is then sent through an inverter which produces a chopped DC waveform which is sent to the motor whose speed and torque are controlled by a combination of voltage level and pulse width. If such a motor could be used, perhaps it would be possible to feed it with a line tapped off the alternator before the rectifier diodes?

Last edited:
greenman said:
well,

With the fan-style units, I would definitely agree with you. But I think since Knight actually uses a roots-type supercharger, not some little plastic fan, then there's a good possibility that it really works.

Yeah i think we're talking about the same thing. I do know that you need a special kind of ESC to operate them so that sounds about right.

I looked around and found a company that makes them and it looks like they're used in everything from RC cars to F18 fighter jets :)

I just don't know if they'd work in this application, but if electric motors can move a train, then there's gotta be a way right????

goldwing2000 said:
Cool article.

supercharger on a BEETLE (old!?)

"I threw v belts every 30 seconds or so"

sounds about right ^_^

aircooled supercharged... I'd hate to think about THOSE emissions

wasn't there something about an electronically assisted turbo-spool in the upcoming mazdaspeed RX-8?

Last edited:
Anyone had any experience with this brand?
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/
After reading this thread, I thought I'd do a little research to see what I could come up with and in my opinion (just an opinion), these guys have the best story/claims.
I was most impressed after finding the patent on the United States Patent and Trademark Office and reading the actual test results (near bottom of page) from the patent application (I don't think those can be easily doctored), I'm convinced that this is the best of the "Electric superchargers"

I would love to hear from someone who has had actual experience with it!!

It draws 57 amps, and their HP gain claims seem to be realistic.

Video of the E-RAM demonstrating enough thrust to lift itself, and blowing a Duraflame log along the floor Video
Video of the E-ram inflating a 40 gallon garbage bag (demonstrating volumetric flow) Video
Video of a 2 HP leaf blower inflating that same bag Video

Their claims "IMMEDIATE and FULL 1psi BOOST AT ANY ENGINE RPM! - 0 TO 25,300 RPM in 1/10th SECOND (activated by an NOS-type switch at Wide-Open Throttle). Why Wide-Open Throttle only? Click here for complete explanation
SAFE FOR YOUR ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: High current for short duration is drawn directly from your battery, not your alternator. Just like your starter motor.

DOES NOT RESTRICT YOUR INTAKE when not in operation (air-flow through 3.5" dia. e-RAM is equal to a 3 inch diameter intake tube).

EASY TO INSTALL IN MINUTES! Comes pre-assembled and pre-wired, ready for mounting, with easy-to-follow instructions and picture examples.

WORKS ON ANY ENGINE up to 5.0 liters! *see selection guide for your car*

Even has a US Patent #6,328,024 B1

Last edited:
yeah My co-worker showed me that I was like whatever but maybe I'll let my guard down when I see it in person....

Da 6 said:
yeah My co-worker showed me that I was like whatever but maybe I'll let my guard down when I see it in person....
But the patent test result have to carry some wieght...
they must intrigue you to some degree

lil more than the ebay 22hp chip...Let me see someone with it on the car. Maybe it's just me but I like having the hi pitch gearing noises. Anyone figure out the pcm coding for the ETB yet?

Last edited:
djltoronto said:
Anyone had any experience with this brand?
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/
After reading this thread, I thought I'd do a little research to see what I could come up with and in my opinion (just an opinion), these guys have the best story/claims.
I was most impressed after finding the patent on the United States Patent and Trademark Office and reading the actual test results (near bottom of page) from the patent application (I don't think those can be easily doctored), I'm convinced that this is the best of the "Electric superchargers"

I would love to hear from someone who has had actual experience with it!!

It draws 57 amps, and their HP gain claims seem to be realistic.

Video of the E-RAM demonstrating enough thrust to lift itself, and blowing a Duraflame log along the floor Video
Video of the E-ram inflating a 40 gallon garbage bag (demonstrating volumetric flow) Video
Video of a 2 HP leaf blower inflating that same bag Video

Their claims "IMMEDIATE and FULL 1psi BOOST AT ANY ENGINE RPM! - 0 TO 25,300 RPM in 1/10th SECOND (activated by an NOS-type switch at Wide-Open Throttle). Why Wide-Open Throttle only? Click here for complete explanation
SAFE FOR YOUR ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: High current for short duration is drawn directly from your battery, not your alternator. Just like your starter motor.

DOES NOT RESTRICT YOUR INTAKE when not in operation (air-flow through 3.5" dia. e-RAM is equal to a 3 inch diameter intake tube).

EASY TO INSTALL IN MINUTES! Comes pre-assembled and pre-wired, ready for mounting, with easy-to-follow instructions and picture examples.

WORKS ON ANY ENGINE up to 5.0 liters! *see selection guide for your car*

Even has a US Patent #6,328,024 B1

Any one can get a patten on something that doses not mean it does anything Thomas Knight make an real eltric supercharger I say that becuse its actually a eton blower ran off 4 eltric moters. This thing is nothing more than marketing gone mad...agian

$300 supercharger sounds good to me...I want the spooling sound tho!

has anyone done the knight system or is anyone thinking about doing it? im really interested in knowing how it worked out. my 2.3 needs a kick in the ass and that might be the way. if you think about it logically you need hp to drive a blower whats the difference if you take it from and elertric motor with stored power or off your crank shaft? and i dont want to hear the BS about how it add so much weight, cause your really not adding any more than a small child! i dont know just my 2cents. I wanna see someone with it!!!

Tricked-Out-Toy said:
has anyone done the knight system or is anyone thinking about doing it? im really interested in knowing how it worked out. my 2.3 needs a kick in the ass and that might be the way. if you think about it logically you need hp to drive a blower whats the difference if you take it from and elertric motor with stored power or off your crank shaft? and i dont want to hear the BS about how it add so much weight, cause your really not adding any more than a small child! i dont know just my 2cents. I wanna see someone with it!!!

I would do it if it were not a nightmare to try and install

The difference is that with the thomas knight system, you have to convert the mechanical energy to electrical(with you alternator, which you probably need to upgrade in this case), then convert it back to mechanical. I don't think these energy conversions can compare in efficency to a directly driven belt.
With that said, I still think it is a cool idea, and I'd love to see it in a mazda, but I just don't think many people have done it.

Back