(Dash Lights) SS + ABS + TCS = ??

Z-Thrizzle

:
Mazda CX-9, BMW MZ3 Roadster
While driving normally on a dry road, the "traction light" (dunno correct term) turns on. I felt a little shake in the car then all three of these lights turned on. I thought maybe I had a flat and one wheel was not turning the same revolution as the others, thus the wheel sensors were picking this up. When I pulled over the tires were fine. I continued driving for a few miles and then the lights went away but then went back on after a few more miles.

The lights later went away and hasn't come on since. I later put more air in the tires...they were all around 31 psi. Any idea what might have caused these lights to come on? I plan on bringing the car to the dealer just in case.

4d1d0e2c.jpg

You might not want to hear this, but it usually comes back again.
My guess is that the ABS sensor is going.
All three systems relies on the ABS sensor for inputs. Therefore, when ABS sensor is down,
all three lights lit up.

Hope for the best.
If your CX9 is close to warranty expiration date, visit a dealership to get the event logged
(probably error code read - should be stored in OBD-II still). In case this happens again
after warranty expires, you can still claim for warranty repair. Just my two cents.

You might not want to hear this, but it usually comes back again.
My guess is that the ABS sensor is going.
All three systems relies on the ABS sensor for inputs. Therefore, when ABS sensor is down,
all three lights lit up.

Hope for the best.
If your CX9 is close to warranty expiration date, visit a dealership to get the event logged
(probably error code read - should be stored in OBD-II still). In case this happens again
after warranty expires, you can still claim for warranty repair. Just my two cents.
Thanks for the insight.
I assume something like this would be covered under bumper-to-bumper warranty, which I still have. I'll update later on the diagnosis.

Your tires should always be at 36 psi when they are cold.

How is this correct when recommended PSI is 34. If they are 36 when cold, God knows what they will be when they warm up. The TPM usually does not kick on until below 28 PSI in my experience.

Huh? The placard on my drivers side door says 36 psi when cold. I measure the tire pressure before i use the car the day i am going to go out. I know that the tire pressure goes up when the car is hot. I believe maximum air pressure is about 40ish. I have a 2007 with 18 inch wheels. Maybe on your vehicle it is different. Even when i take it to the dealer they set the pressure at 36.

I think the sticker on my door has 36psi as well. Though I haven't checked the details to see if 36psi is if the car is under max load. If that's the case 34psi could prob be under normal load.

Wow you check your pressure religiously. I need to check more often. That was the first time I checked...though I only had the car for a few weeks.

Haha laughing at a random thought...I haven't even had the car for a month and already took so many trim panels off and ran wires through the car.
*edit*
I suppose 34psi is when you have the 20inch wheels. I have 18.
72133b58.jpg

Last edited:
I have the GT with 20's obviously and I do believe my door placard says 34. I will double check it this weekend once I get of this floating grey hunk of steel.

You are a lot braver than i am. I haven't messed with the car yet. I usually do that after the warranty expires. That will be in 2014. There isn't really anything that i would want to do now to it anyway. Maybe as time goes by i will think of something.

Back