Dash lights and tail lights out

atarihero

:
Protege 5 manual transmission
I brought my car (2003 Mazda Protege 5, with 80k miles) in for an oil change and because the passenger rear brake light was out. When I got the car back, both the dash lights and the tail lights did not work. I checked the fuses and found a fuse in the engine block (the tail light fuse) was blown. I replaced it, but this didn't fix the problem.

The car is at a mechanic now. He suggested it was a bad wiring harness. Elsewhere on these forums it suggests that it could be a bad dash dimmer switch, and that the dash lights and tail lights are all on the same circuit.

My questions are these:
1) Is it true that the dash lights and tail lights are on the same circuit, and that by fixing the tail lights I will likely fix the dash lights?

2) Would the rear wiring harness (passenger side) cause the dash lights to go out as well as both tail lights? And what causes the rear wiring harness to go bad?

3) How likely is it that this problem was caused by the mechanic who replaced the brake light? The timing, to me, seems way too coincidental to not be the mechanic's fault... (and it's the same lights that he was operating on) but I'm not sure how I would prove something like that.

Thanks!

Wait, did the oil change place change the rear brake light bulb? If so, ask them what they did and if they tested the lights after the install. Harnesses don't just go bad, although rodents and even rabbits have been known to nibble on the wires.
Also, make sure the fuse you replaced didn't blow, again after you stepped on the brakes. If it did, there is a short, somewhere and if rain water got into the taillight, that could do it, as well.

Back