CX9 brakes are too good

IslandTractor

:
2010 CX9 GT Silver/Blk
So, I was rush hour traffic at about 30mph and accelerating when the lady in a Corolla in front of me slams on the brakes. I stood on mine and came to a halt about two feet from her bumper and was about to breath when....wham, I got nailed from behind by a GMC Sierra and pushed right into the Corolla. I was just about to say "s***" when....wham, the GMC got nailed by a sedan and whacked into me again.

Busted a small piece of CX9 mouth grill and left an imprint of my license plate on the Corolla bumper. Rear lid got dented by the Sierra pickup and mashed up the rear bumper cosmetics. There is no dent but the right rear lower panel is popped out of alignment. My tow bar was mounted and put a big hole in the pickup's radiator. His front bumper facsia was lying on the ground when I got out. The Sierra hood was also pushed back presumably where it hit my rear hatch. The Honda sedan behind the pickup got the worst of it and had a good portion of it's hood mashed as well as the whole right front quadrant.

All were very civilized, we shared info, agreed it could have been worse (no one hurt) and went on our way. The Sierra and Honda were not going far, just to get off the highway. The Corolla left with no issue and I drove off. Nothing out of the ordinary driving home so I hope it is just sheet metal. I'm a bit concerned though as the Sierra is big and was able to push me at least a couple of feet the first hit and another foot or so the second time. I wonder about the trailer hitch bolts even though everything was straight.

I'll have to take it to an adjuster tomorrow and report the accident. "Pissa" as we say in Boston. Wicked pissa.

fyi if you tell the Sierra's insurance company that your back hurts, you can walk away with at least a cool 1k for your "pain and suffering." Not that I'm encouraging this... just sayin.

I would reccomend, however, that when chosing a body shop for your repairs, that you choose one that uses Sikkens refinishing products, and not PPG or Sherwin Williams or Napa. If correct repairs and paint prep is performed, Sikkens will at least last as long as your factory paint.

Last edited:
CX9 has one of the best brakes in its class.
60 to 0mph in less than 120ft is very respectable.

... I'm a bit concerned though as the Sierra is big and was able to push me at least a couple of feet the first hit and another foot or so the second time. I wonder about the trailer hitch bolts even though everything was straight...

Absolutely right. Though all seems well as far as you can see, there's no telling what's bent, twisted or cracked in your underbody. I am sure that your insurance adjuster will take that into consideration, but if he/she doesn't, you know what you got to do. Nice to know that the 9's brakes performed and you didn't cream the Corolla. Best wishes.

Last edited:
fyi if you tell the Sierra's insurance company that your back hurts, you can walk away with at least a cool 1k for your "pain and suffering." Not that I'm encouraging this... just sayin.

I would reccomend, however, that when chosing a body shop for your repairs, that you choose one that uses Sikkens refinishing products, and not PPG or Sherwin Williams or Napa. If correct repairs and paint prep is performed, Sikkens will at least last as long as your factory paint.

An advice from an insurance adjuster, mmmmmmm that`s worth it.

I am not held responsible so there is no deductible but I was a little surprised at the insurance companies own estimate for repairs: $4200. I'll post a photo of the damage to the rear once I figure out how (no direct uploads on this board it appears and I don't have a web based photo site). The front damage wouldn't even show with a photo (the smile black grill plastic got broken and I assume the bumper needs repainting but it is hard to see the damage). They say they will cover any damage to the trailer hitch but none was evident. I was thinking of having the body shop just change the bolts if it is othewise OK.

I am not held responsible so there is no deductible but I was a little surprised at the insurance companies own estimate for repairs: $4200. I'll post a photo of the damage to the rear once I figure out how (no direct uploads on this board it appears and I don't have a web based photo site). The front damage wouldn't even show with a photo (the smile black grill plastic got broken and I assume the bumper needs repainting but it is hard to see the damage). They say they will cover any damage to the trailer hitch but none was evident. I was thinking of having the body shop just change the bolts if it is othewise OK.
If you click on the "Go Advanced button", you should be able to upload pics from your desktop.."

Regards

Greg S

CX9 has one of the best brakes in its class.
60 to 0mph in less than 120ft is very respectable.

One of the many reasons I chose the CX-9 over the Honda Pilot. I saw a couple reviews mention how it took too long to stop.

Back