CX-9 roof rack (OEM)

Here is the final rack setup:

Factory Rails (Self Installed) $199
Mont Blanc 47" Aero Bar Kit $170 (Compared to Thule version @ $304)
Thule Peloton Bike Trays $142 / pair (Retails for $125 each)
Thule Stacker Kayak Rack $ 25 (REI Garage Sale. Retails for $120)

(I discovered that the Thule Stacker Kayak rack is actually the Thule Wheel Fork with an added tie-down cap. So I drilled the rivets, slipped the cap off, and revealed the wheel axle slots. I replaced the drilled rivets with a quick release bolt and knob. Sweet.)

With this setup we can carry two kayaks and two bikes.

CX9 Sportowner: Where did you find the feet that fit onto the OEM rack?
Thx,
Craig

I have an '07 GT AWD, the Thule 450 feet and 58" crossbars, and a 21 cf box! I would love to get something better (stylish and secure) than the 450's. Aero bars would be cool too.

Hey, has anyone forgotten about the restricted clearance when you are carrying stuff on your rack? With my Thule box, I am restricted to a clearance of at least 7.5 feet..a little higher to be more comfortable.

Craig

I am getting an 08 CX9 and want to know more about the load capacity of the factory setup. I don't want to get an aftermarket Thule setup that requires drilling into the roof or is otherwise permanent, but with an 18 cu.ft. Yakima box that weighs about 54 lbs., I don't want to be restricted to 46 lbs worth of cargo up top.

Are there other options out there than the weak OEM setup and the drilled-in Thule feet?

Greetings. I am about to purchase a new 2008 CX-9. :)

Very excited!

It's really down to a Black Cherry Mica or the Galaxy Grey. I like the Black Cherry exterior better but the Galaxy Grey's interior. (RTM) One has the luggage rack already in place and it's the one I prefer.

To me, most SUV's look a little more complete and sporty with a roof rack installed. The CX-9 however is probably the only one that looks good either way.

Since this thread is about the roof rack I'm assuming most here are in favor of roof rack-ed CX-9? :)

It's simply a cosmetic feature for us as we won't be actually using it.

Welcome!

I have mixed feelings on the roof rack. I do not have one on my CX-9 and I will probably not put one on it in the near future. If you're doing it for looks, then by all means get the car the way you want it.

I think the only downside is the little extra wind-resistance the rack will cause. It is tiny, I'm guessing, but still a bit more drag on the car.

I read what you wrote. You think the CX-9 doesn't look complete w/o the rack. Then you say, but then 'we are active and into USING our CX-9.'

Your remark appears condescending. I was poking fun at it.

Ugh, have a PM war... (blah)

Anyone have any experience with Proline (the actual brand, not online store) bike racks? Just got a couple for the OEM rack. Wondering what to expect.

color of roof rack

I just bought a 2008 GT and the dealer offered me free roof rack which will be installed in a week as he doesn't have stock. I realized today that the roof rack will be in black color. I expected that the roof rack will be the same color of my car. Is this true? How the black roof rack looks on the Copper Red CX-9? I still debating to get those installed or bargain for anything else instead of the roof rack. I appreciate your suggestions.

Bhanup, we have a Copper Red that I just put the rack combo generally recommended in this thread--Factory side rails, with the Mont Blanc Aero crossbars. The factory cross-bars are only rated to 100 pounds and are typical arched black thingies like on any car, while the Mont Blanc have a 220 pound rating (or something like that).

On the Copper Red, the Aero cross bars have aluminum ("silver") as the primary color with black highlights. The side rails are black...on the Copper Red, with chrome and black trim on the car, the rack combo looks GREAT but that is just my opinion :)

I've been looking around, the Mont Blanc Aero style is what some pretty styling cars are going with, such as BMW and Mini...I would recommend it both for looks and utility, since the Mont Blanc bars have the strength (as noted in this thread) to handle bigger loads than the factory, and the silver cross bars complement the black side rails and other trim elements very nicely.

Yakima Box/Factory Crossbars

The limitations of the factory crossbars and Yakima's non-support for the CX-9 rack in general have been documented here. I'd still like to know if anyone has put a Yakima cargo box on the factory crossbars. My only concern is that the crossbars are not perfectly flat (they run in an arc across the car) so the box may not sit on them as designed. That said, I just spoke with a parts person at mazdagear.com and he explained that mazda sells Thule boxes that are not specifically designed for these rails and that a Yakima box should mount just fine. Any stories to share?

Does Anyone know of a site that sells CX-9 OEM roof rails and ships international?
I don't know of any, but isn't there a Mazda distributor where you are located?
I would imagine that shipping to where you are located would cost you an arm and a leg for it (unless you are talking about Canada or Mexico). The roofrails come in a big package (size-wise). It also weighs about 10lbs. Unless one ships by sea (takes a while to arrive), by air, it will be very expensive.

Yakima EZ Riders

I can confirm that Yakima EZ Rider towers do not work with the OEM roof rails. These are the towers I had on my Subaru 05 Legacy GT Wagon and I was hoping they would fit. They actually sit on the CX-9 rails nicely but they don't expand enough to grab the bottom of the rail. They do reach the inside groove in the rail but I wasn't too confident in the strength of the rail at that point. It looked like tightening the tower would bend the inside of the rail.
Any suggestions for alternative Yakima towers? Lowride? Railgrab? I would love to make this work without changing brands. Otherwise I may go for the Mount Blanc Aero setup.

Another thumbs up for the Mont Blanc

I second the Mont Blanc cross bars. They are great! Great suggestion from Sportowner.

Yakima Support

So I just had an exchange with Yakima re: their support for the CX-9 OEM rails/crossbars. As has been mentioned here, Yakima provides no support for the CX-9 factory rails or crossbars. The reason being that Yakima considers them dealer installed and therefore there is too much variability in installations. I took issue with this, first pointing out that the CX-9 rails are a factory option with no room for variability (even if installed by a dealer) and the crossbars are a very straightforward install with little room for variability.

My thoughts are that Yakima should find a way to support at least the factory rails. Other manufacturers (Thule, Mont Blanc) have managed to do so and Yakima probably has one or two towers in their collection that would work...it's just a matter of setting it up in their fit system and sticking out their neck a little bit. They claim that manufacturers have changed crossbar designs in the past without notice so if they don't want to support the Mazda rails, that would be reasonable.

I have a lot of Yakima gear but I'm about ready to ditch it all because of this issue. From the posts here it seems like I can get the Mont Blanc system for about what I would pay for new Yakima towers anyway. I'm pretty sure my Yakima skybox would be compatible. I will need to get some new bike racks though. Anyone know how long the crossbars are on the Mont Blanc rack and what bike carrier options I would have? With my Yakima 50" bars I can (just barely) get 2 copperhead bike racks in addition to my skybox (one on each side). I'd love to be able to pull this off. Otherwise it's a hitch or trunk mount. Anyone have success with a trunk mounted bike carrier on the CX-9? Looks like the spoiler may get in the way but I thought I'd ask.

Well I'm not going to scream that Yakima sucks but their support for the CX-9 definitely sucks.
I took the advice of many on this site and went with the Mont Blanc crossbars. They are great. Why doesn't this brand make a bigger push in the US? The ease of installation puts Thule and Yakima to shame. They are on and off the roof in a minute with no tools. There's a little bit of extra work in trimming the plastic strips to fill the channels where the towers attach but not a major effort and it's a one-time thing. The look may not be as clean as the OEM crossbars but some might prefer the mont blancs' aluminum look and they are probably more useful.

The only challenge at this point is finding mont blanc attachments and I would like to provide this observation/question:
Audi: $160 for Barracuda (http://www.audi-collection.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=8E0071128A&SKW=AUQ5TR&Cat=car&SubLevel=21&lcat=)
VW: $136 for Barracuda (http://www.cmgestore.com/vw08/SKUDetailsVW08F6Q71128A.Asp)
Suzuki: $99 for Barracuda (http://www.suzukiauto.com/sx4_crossover/accessories/)

It seems that these are all identical, made by mount blanc and ready for clean installation via t-bolts. Can I assume this is the case? Can I chalk up the price difference to marketing and the snob factor?

Finally, does anyone have the barracuda and does it attach using t-bolts front and back or does it use clamps around the crossbar? How much space (side to side) on the rack does it take up? I'd like to get two on the roof next to my Skybox.

Back