CX 9 Headrests

Dude you have no idea. I have to drive an 09' Escape for work and it has the worst seats I could imagine in any vehicle other than a Yugo. You have to tilt your head back at a 30 degree angle to make contact with the headrest, and the seat foam wore out many miles ago, so I feel all the ribs of the seat bottom and seat back frames. Ugggg.

The good and bad news about the headrests in the CX-9 is that after 3 and a half years, I got used to them. I am no longer bothered them. But this is because my neck has gotten used to leaning forward slightly so my head doesn't hit the headrest. This can't be good for posture or long term neck/back issues.

Glad to see I'm not the only one aggravated by the intensely uncomfortable CX-9 head rests. We've had our CX-9 for about 8 months now and we've flipped the driver side one as it's completely useless when my wife - heaven forbid - is driving while wearing her hair in a pony tail. She's 5' 5" tall with long hair and the "point" of these awful headrests pretty much perfectly hits her ponytail no matter how we try to arrange them. We just had to flip them backwards after a couple of weeks of trying. When I'm a passenger it's really horrible as the same "point" digs into the back of my head. If these things were straight up instead of at an angle they'd be fine.

At this point I am not really looking for a discussion about getting used to them. I'm looking for a replacement head restraint / head rest, something that's a typical rounded "cushion" one like I've had in every single other car I've ever owned in the past 20 years. Obviously it has to fit the spacing holes already in the CX-9 driver/passenger seats, and of course being matching black will be a plus but at this point I'm willing to sacrifice a perfectly matched interior so our back and necks aren't in agony after an 8 hour drive. Any ideas or links on what I can purchase?

If its that much of a problem, you could always just take them to a upholstery shop and have them re-designed... have them change the shape of the foam and then re-wrap them.

If its that much of a problem, you could always just take them to a upholstery shop and have them re-designed... have them change the shape of the foam and then re-wrap them.

I'm not willing to alter my original headrests. I'm basically looking for a new set of non-stock CX-9 headrests that slide properly into the existing holes. Most of the replacement headrests I've seen are because of faulty / DVD player repair (my headrests do not have DVD players in them).

Any ideas?

I wonder if a Volvo headrest would fit. Volvo's have awesome headrests. Audi and VW headrest recline too. Not sure about knives or later though. Who wants to be the junk yard guinea pig?

Back