CX-5 Photos - Share your shots with us!

Interestingly, the older HID headlights seem to have a higher intensity, more even spread and superior reach (check out the objects in the far distance beyond the bollards), so they may actually be more suitable for open road driving.

The LEDs have better clarity (ie. everything looks sharper), so they are probably more suitable for city driving where you need to be able to read street signs clearly. The LEDs also have a beautiful daylight colour balance whereas the HIDs give a warmer glow.

Note that all photos were taken with same camera settings in manual mode so that you can make a direct comparison.

Excellent job on the photos!

Thanks for doing that.

Here you go...
Interestingly, the older HID headlights seem to have a higher intensity, more even spread and superior reach (check out the objects in the far distance beyond the bollards), so they may actually be more suitable for open road driving.

The LEDs have better clarity (ie. everything looks sharper), so they are probably more suitable for city driving where you need to be able to read street signs clearly. The LEDs also have a beautiful daylight colour balance whereas the HIDs give a warmer glow.

Note that all photos were taken with same camera settings in manual mode so that you can make a direct comparison.

Thanks for taking the time to do that, and quickly too! I wonder if the slightly whiter/bluish hue from LEDs are making the things look sharper and cleaner to the eye. But, in these photos, the HIDs appear to hold their own. I can't wait to try a '16 on for myself soon!

On a side note, the 16 tail lights look MUCH better than the 15's to me. They're like "Bad Boy" eyes staring back at you!

Last edited:
Nice! Thanks for that Good Thanks!

Excellent job on the photos!

Thanks for doing that.

Thanks for taking the time to do that, and quickly too! I wonder if the slightly whiter/bluish hue from LEDs are making the things look sharper and cleaner to the eye. But, in these photos, the HIDs appear to hold their own. I can't wait to try a '16 on for myself soon!

On a side note, the 16 tail lights look MUCH better than the 15's to me. They're like "Bad Boy" eyes staring back at you!

No worries guys! I was interested to see how they compared myself as it is sometimes difficult to tell unless you look at them side-by-side. I must say I was a surprised at how well the HIDs compared with the LEDs, so I think having either option would serve you well.

In terms of clarity, you could be right about the whiter hue making the LEDs appear clearer. Either way, they are both a big step up from halogens in this regard. I have LED downlights throughout my house and everything looks sharper and clearer compared with the old halogen downlights I had in a previous house.

The other factor of course is "looks", and this is where the LEDs come into their own. They just look great and make the car look a whole lot more modern and sophisticated on the road.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Got some decent pics of my wife's 14 CX-5 GT last weekend.

Last edited:
No worries guys! I was interested to see how they compared myself as it is sometimes difficult to tell unless you look at them side-by-side. I must say I was a surprised at how well the HIDs compared with the LEDs, so I think having either option would serve you well.

In terms of clarity, you could be right about the whiter hue making the LEDs appear clearer. Either way, they are both a big step up from halogens in this regard. I have LED downlights throughout my house and everything looks sharper and clearer compared with the old halogen downlights I had in a previous house.

The other factor of course is "looks", and this is where the LEDs come into their own. They just look great and make the car look a whole lot more modern and sophisticated on the road.

Agree with the others. Thank you for taking clear comparison pics for us (and using the same settings and parking in the same spot...not everyone does this and it makes for inaccurate comparisons).

Did you by chance take any pics of both headlights facing a wall head on (20-25ft away)? Gives a better perspective on headlight beam pattern and spread as well.

e416e38b511616c828fa96b776a36ffd.jpg

This was in the Appalachian mountains near Wintergreen resort on our long Valentine's Day weekend getaway, in front of the cottage we rented.

c409a5690591b668f9f4fdb4c01f3885.jpg

And this was all the snow we got last Monday, President's Day!

d9d7774d916412e857fb27aa9ec48807.jpg

One more, from the dusting before the additional snow we got last Saturday, with the dog!

Agree with the others. Thank you for taking clear comparison pics for us (and using the same settings and parking in the same spot...not everyone does this and it makes for inaccurate comparisons).

Did you by chance take any pics of both headlights facing a wall head on (20-25ft away)? Gives a better perspective on headlight beam pattern and spread as well.

No probs, glad you found it useful! Yeah I was quite conscious of maintaining the same camera settings across all shots (including white balance) to ensure an accurate comparison. It is not a test you could do with a phone camera or basic point and shoot compact. For the record, I used an Olympus E-P5 mirrorless camera with the M.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 lens, but any DSLR could also be used for the same purpose.

I didn't take any pics facing a wall unfortunately, and it looks like I won't get the chance either as I am handing over the old car to the buyer today.

Nice! I wish we could get the AWD with the manual in the States... All we get is the FWD manual with the 2.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi.

This is my first Mazda. Had it for a week now. It's a 2013 2.0 AWD with MT

IMG_6804.jpg

Ugh, I am so jealous every time I see that color. Love it!! Had to settle for blue reflex mica on the 2015. Was legitimately upset when I found out they stopped doing the sky blue after 2014.

Hi.

This is my first Mazda. Had it for a week now. It's a 2013 2.0 AWD with MT

Very nice!

I had forgotten it was available with AWD and manual in other markets. Just curious, when do most Swedes remove their studs? Is the date regulated to protect the roads? Are studs very popular (compared to non-studded winter radials)? Also, did your new (used) car come with summer tires?

Enjoy the new tool!

Ugh, I am so jealous every time I see that color. Love it!! Had to settle for blue reflex mica on the 2015. Was legitimately upset when I found out they stopped doing the sky blue after 2014.

Same, same, same. I always turn my head whenever I see a Stormy Blue on the road.

Nice, I have the same color car.
What is next to the license plate, on the black plastic bumper?

Block heater power outlet?
Same, same, same. I always turn my head whenever I see a Stormy Blue on the road.
You have mentioned Stormy Blue several times, I assume it's your fav? What is the difference between that and Deep Crystal Blue Mica? Lighter shade of blue? Warning: gratuitous shot (lol)
73e3c51a53ff5e3eede9370c5e530147.jpg

Last edited:
You have mentioned Stormy Blue several times, I assume it's your fav? What is the difference between that and Deep Crystal Blue Mica? Lighter shade of blue?

It's my favorite, yeah. It's a color that pops out nicely without it being too arrogant or "HEY, LOOK AT ME" kind of thing. The Deep Crystal Blue is too much of a dark blue and admittedly doesn't stand out for me - then again, I live in the Seattle area, where it's grey a lot... so that particular color doesn't really have a chance to "shine". ;)

It's my favorite, yeah. It's a color that pops out nicely without it being too arrogant or "HEY, LOOK AT ME" kind of thing. The Deep Crystal Blue is too much of a dark blue and admittedly doesn't stand out for me - then again, I live in the Seattle area, where it's grey a lot... so that particular color doesn't really have a chance to "shine". ;)

Well put, and you're right. In the shade DCBM is almost black. But, since I live in the south, I get the see her "dual" personality[emoji75] I'd really like to find a Stormy Blue and park next to it to personally see the differences [emoji76]
b613dc35226632645ef8d33c7353757b.jpg

Very nice!

I had forgotten it was available with AWD and manual in other markets. Just curious, when do most Swedes remove their studs? Is the date regulated to protect the roads? Are studs very popular (compared to non-studded winter radials)? Also, did your new (used) car come with summer tires?

Enjoy the new tool!

Thanks.

You are allowed to have studded tires 1 oktober to 15 april, and there is a law that you must have winter-tire (with or without stud) during 1 december to 31 mars if there is winter road conditions.
I think it's little more common to use studs then without.
And yes I got som brand new summer tires on the Mazda original rims.

//Mrten

Latest posts

Back