CX-5 Photos - Share your shots with us!

The day after I picked her up. 600mi later, and not a hint of buyer's remorse.

gM96eMA.jpg

I looked at the 2016 today, seemed cool, didn't like the button parking brake though.

Just picked up our new 2016 CX-5 GT (2.5L petrol AWD) in Meteor Grey:

P2200522.jpg

P2200527.jpg

P2200529.jpg

P2200531.jpg

P2200542.jpg

P2200546.jpg

P2200554.jpg

This has replaced our 2013 GT Diesel in Aluminium, which we purchased back in March 2012:

IMG_63051.jpg

IMG_63031.jpg

I do miss the awesome combination of performance and economy that the diesel engine provided, but the petrol engine is not too bad off the line, and the new sport mode helps give adequate in-gear response if required.

Overall we are really happy with the updates made in the new model. It is significantly smoother and quieter than the model it replaced, with more initial compliance in the suspension without compromising handling, and the interior is just so much classier than before. I'm also loving the new MZD infotainment system and the driver's seat memory (linked to each key), which is a great convenience feature given that my wife and I are always swapping. The LED exterior lights look great too.

I'm not a big fan of the new electronic park brake (the old cable operated one was much more tactile and intuitive), but I do like the fact that it frees up space for the MZD controls. I also don't particularly like the new 19" wheels and I will be looking to replace them with 20s soon. I also want to lower the suspension slightly for a more aggressive stance. Watch this space!

The new 19" wheels are still growing on me. I think they complement your meteor grey CX-5 really well.
Congrats - very nice looking car!

Tsw has a few affordable wheels that at 20", are lighter than stock 19"s.

I really like what you've done with yours actually. It's subtle yet purposeful. I'll be looking to do something similar. I don't want to go over the top with it, but I like the thought of having something a bit different to all the other thousands of CX-5s out there (it's the most popular SUV in Australia across all categories, so they are literally everywhere).

good thanks, do you have LED headlights now, and HIDs prior? Can you tell any advantages between the two if so?

good thanks, do you have LED headlights now, and HIDs prior? Can you tell any advantages between the two if so?

Yes that's right, the new one has LED headlights, LED daytime running lights and LED foglights as well as LED tail lights. They certainly do provide a very clear and bright view, although I haven't tested them on the open road yet (just around the suburbs with street lighting). The previous HID headlights were actually very good too, but the new ones appear to be on another level again based on my brief drive so far (I've only had the car for a day).

Edit: Interestingly, the new one does not appear to have headlight washers, whereas the previous model with HIDs did have them. Not sure what the reasoning is behind that, but just thought I'd share that observation.

Last edited:
Yes that's right, the new one has LED headlights, LED daytime running lights and LED foglights as well as LED tail lights. They certainly do provide a very clear and bright view, although I haven't tested them on the open road yet (just around the suburbs with street lighting). The previous HID headlights were actually very good too, but the new ones appear to be on another level again based on my brief drive so far (I've only had the car for a day).

Thanks for comments, hope to see some comparisons and side-to-side pics from you or others soon. If the LEDs are that much better than HIDs, I'm going to want to retro fit '16 lights in my '15!

Thanks for comments, hope to see some comparisons and side-to-side pics from you or others soon. If the LEDs are that much better than HIDs, I'm going to want to retro fit '16 lights in my '15!

I've still got my old model for another week or so, so I'll see if I can tee up a side-by-side comparison.

Man, that would be great, thanks!

Here you go...

HID:

1.jpg

LED:

2.jpg

HID:

3.jpg

LED:

4.jpg

Interestingly, the older HID headlights seem to have a higher intensity, more even spread and superior reach (check out the objects in the far distance beyond the bollards), so they may actually be more suitable for open road driving.

The LEDs have better clarity (ie. everything looks sharper), so they are probably more suitable for city driving where you need to be able to read street signs clearly. The LEDs also have a beautiful daylight colour balance whereas the HIDs give a warmer glow.

Note that all photos were taken with same camera settings in manual mode so that you can make a direct comparison.

Back