CX-5 GT: Tech vs no Tech?

ilreceiver

:
CX5
The Tech package has Nag + LED lights. I wonder if there's a way to get the LED lights without Nav, e.g. how much would it cost if I install the lights by myself?

From the forum comments I think the Navteq GPS isn't so great. I'm also pretty good with technology stuff and I'm pretty satisfied with the GPS on my iPhone.

Definitely with Tech! A single OEM LED headlight housing will cost you a thousand. You won't get anything close to the OEM LED headlight system, which includes auto leveling and Pivoting Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS), if you try to mod the halogen headlights with LED replacement bulbs. The cool LED pipes for DRLs and taillights are more expensive than LED arrays used by most other automakers too. You also get auto dimming mirror with Homelink and Smart City Brake Support in addition to the Navigation. For $1,505 MSRP, it well worth the money!

Definitely with Tech! A single OEM LED headlight housing will cost you a thousand. You won't get anything close to the OEM LED headlight system, which includes auto leveling and Pivoting Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS), if you try to mod the halogen headlights with LED replacement bulbs. The cool LED pipes for DRLs and taillights are more expensive than LED arrays used by most other automakers too. You also get auto dimming mirror with Homelink and Smart City Brake Support in addition to the Navigation. For $1,505 MSRP, it well worth the money!

You've convinced me :)

What's your view of the i-ActiveSense package? Sorry for asking such simple questions - I have never owned a car and I've only driven rental cars, so I really don't have a sense of whether these would be useful...

The tech package really does up the feel of the exterior looks. If money is not an object, I'd go for it. I mainly upgraded for the LED lighting. The navigation is decent and I wouldn't count on the smart city braking for much. Has lots of limitations.

like yrwei52 said, the tech package is a steal at $1500, honestly. The headlights are pretty much worth it alone. You also get the auto-dimming rearview mirror, which is one of those features you don't realize you need until you have it. Pretty nifty. Yeah, the nav isn't great, but it's usable and, if you look at it as LEDs and an auto-dimming mirror for $1500 (which is a fair price and much lower than what you'd pay for the same features on a BMW/Mercedes), the nav is basically thrown in for free.

Also, if you're already springing for a GT, why not just go all the way? I did and don't regret it one bit.

I'm in the same boat as the guys above.

I was signed for a Touring with tech and Bose.

Got to the dealer and took one look/sit in a GT with tech and for an additional $1000 exactly I was in a GT with tech. So...for a grand I got those AMAZING 19" wheels, heated seats, Sirius radio, and a few other niceties.

You've convinced me :)
What's your view of the i-ActiveSense package? Sorry for asking such simple questions - I have never owned a car and I've only driven rental cars, so I really don't have a sense of whether these would be useful...
None of that interested me. I can drive the car myself :)
Mazda Radar Cruise Control、Smart Brake Support、Lane Departure Warning System、Distance Recognition Support System、High Beam Control ... no thanks! I can drive the car myself!

I had the same feeling like DBLXX hence we didn't get i-ActivSense Package when we special ordered our CX-5. And more high-techs. more bugs too!

But now I have a second thought... ;)

Why the second thought? Thinking you might like all that stuff now?

I don't criticize people for getting it...just not for me.

I am sure they are features that will make you safer. Personally, I am not there yet.

HEY....I was the guy back in 2007 that said "ABS - I don't need no stinking ABS on my new Honda Goldwing"

Now...I wouldn't buy a bike without it.

Agree with everything said here. Personally, I felt the Tech Package was a bargain at $1500. Note that it includes BSM and rear cross traffic alert, both of which I have come to love. Also, the LED headlights and tail lights look so much better than the regular ones.

I couldn't justify paying extra for iActivSense though. Ended up getting GT + Tech. Happy with the purchase.

Last edited:
Agree with everything said here. Personally, I felt the Tech Package was a bargain at $1500. Note that it includes BSM and rear cross traffic alert, both of which I have come to love. Also, the LED headlights and tail lights look so much better than the regular ones.

I couldn't justify paying extra for iActivSense though. Ended up getting CT + Tech. Happy with the purchase.

Yeah, I have a '14, so no cross-traffic alert for me, but I will vouch for the BSM. Thought I would hate it, but I've come to love it. Great feature in a car that, let's face it, has a pretty bad blind spot.

I went for a GS with Luxury package and I had to say I regret not going all the way with a GT. That LED headlight is a beauty :(
And yes BSD is a must have for CX-5

I couldn't justify paying extra for iActivSense though. Ended up getting GT + Tech. Happy with the purchase.
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), both of which are standard for CX-5 Touring and GT. It's not part of Tech Package.

like yrwei52 said, the tech package is a steal at $1500, honestly. The headlights are pretty much worth it alone. You also get the auto-dimming rearview mirror, which is one of those features you don't realize you need until you have it. Pretty nifty. Yeah, the nav isn't great, but it's usable and, if you look at it as LEDs and an auto-dimming mirror for $1500 (which is a fair price and much lower than what you'd pay for the same features on a BMW/Mercedes), the nav is basically thrown in for free.
Also, if you're already springing for a GT, why not just go all the way? I did and don't regret it one bit.
(iagree) And you forgot to mention very useful Homelink if you have a garage.

A friend of mine ordered a 2015 Porsche Panamera for around $90,000. He couldn't justify spending $2,900 for Porsche's LED headlights which has a little better Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus! And this is only for LED headlights, nothing else!

Why the second thought? Thinking you might like all that stuff now?
I don't criticize people for getting it...just not for me.
I am sure they are features that will make you safer. Personally, I am not there yet.
HEY....I was the guy back in 2007 that said "ABS - I don't need no stinking ABS on my new Honda Goldwing"
Now...I wouldn't buy a bike without it.
They're the latest high tech items and they're like getting the iPhone 6 Plus. You don't really need it but it's nice to have it. I'm jealous that my wife is driving the new CX-5 and using an iPhone 6, but I'm driving a 2001 VW Passat and using a Sony flip phone ... ;)

I imagine had we got i-ActivSense Package and later we start having glitches and cracked windshield, I'd be regret of getting it.

Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), both of which are standard for CX-5 Touring and GT. It's not part of Tech Package.

You're right. My bad.

But as others mentioned here, the LED lights and auto dimming mirror make this a worthwhile upgrade. That was my primary reason for upgrading to Tech Pkg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back