2020 CX-5 Radar issues

Hello all. I’m new here and I’m in need of some help with my dealer.

Since I’ve bought my 2020 cx5, I’ve had issues with the sensors.
Very specifically I have my passengers side rear view mirror warning light going off and on intermittently. Even if no one but myself is on the road. It also goes off and on when I am in the farthest right lane.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.
The issue will also cause the alert system to go off when I put my turn signal on to merge right, even though there is no one but me on the road.

I have taken this in for service since the week I bought the car. Each time the tech says it’s fine and no codes.
So far I have taken it in 3 times with the last time the tech saying he made a small adjustment.
The problem at go away for a minute but always comes back. It’s at the point where I do not feel the safety feature works at all. It’s got me so I’m really paranoid over the sound alerts as well.

Just took it back today and of course they called and said the same thing. Tech drive it for 20 minutes, no issue, no codes. This time charging me $190 for the visit.
I just called and told them I have video of the issues and they’ve asked to see them. I sent the videos along and am now waiting it out.

I’m at my breaking point and just want this issue fixed.

I was wondering if some of you industry guys could help with how I can run this up the chain if I’m left, once again, with nothing fixed and a faulty security system.

Do you want to get a second opinion from another authorized Mazda dealer or an independent mechanic? If the dealership continues to dismiss the issue, you can consider this way. Waiting for them is so tiring.

Do you want to get a second opinion from another authorized Mazda dealer or an independent mechanic? If the dealership continues to dismiss the issue, you can consider this way. Waiting for them is so tiring.
When I get it back today, I’ll be taking it to another mechanic for sure. This was the third Mazda dealership that I’ve been to with this issue.

To OP,
Is your CX5 still under B2B (3yr/36k miles) warranty?
Seems not. Hope so.

CX-90 folks had similar issue (not necessarily same cause). You can go there and read about it.
The resolution seemed to be re-programming of software (tuning sensitivity)
However, CX-90 is a new model w/ new problem.

Your CX-5 is not a now model. I have a '17 and a '21 w/o any issue.
Likely not the software issue.

Did you have yours since new?
If not, it could be that previous owner had minor collision at the bumper corner (where the BSM radar resides). The sensor might have been displaced or suffered minor damage. One can take the bumper off to check it. For example, moisture entering the sensor housing could cause any kind of false alarm.

To OP,
Is your CX5 still under B2B (3yr/36k miles) warranty?
Seems not. Hope so.

CX-90 folks had similar issue (not necessarily same cause). You can go there and read about it.
The resolution seemed to be re-programming of software (tuning sensitivity)
However, CX-90 is a new model w/ new problem.

Your CX-5 is not a now model. I have a '17 and a '21 w/o any issue.
Likely not the software issue.

Did you have yours since new?
If not, it could be that previous owner had minor collision at the bumper corner (where the BSM radar resides). The sensor might have been displaced or suffered minor damage. One can take the bumper off to check it. For example, moisture entering the sensor housing could cause any kind of false alarm.
No longer under warranty as I’m close to 90k miles.
Yes, I’ve been the only owner and have never been in a collision. This issue has been there since day one. It’s only gotten worse.
Thank you!

Call a local Collision Repair shop. They usually follow-up their body repair work with a recalibration check. This includes a check that all the sensors are connected, that the radar is calibrated, the cameras are aimed properly etc. This is usually done by a mobile business that goes from shop to shop.

If the symptom is intermittent, it will be difficult for anyone to find the root cause. My guess is that a wire connection/connector is loose/pinched or not grounded securely. The mobile tech has access to diagrams and software tools. You would probably have to go through the shop and have them call the calibration people.

…or you are pulling a trailer or have a bike rack with tire in the camera’s field of view.

I can tell that cx5 gen2 (2017+) blind spot sensors are ridiculously more sensitive vs what I had in 2016 cx5. I always wish I could tune it back a bit. There must be a way.

Thanks everyone for responses. Dealer once again said no code but found a bulletin regarding cold starts( which is not the issue). The only solution they had was replacing sensors at $1300 each side. Lol.
I’m gonna try some private shops.
I attached a video showing the issue.

.... I attached a video showing the issue.
My favorite part of the movie was after all the "false positives", whilst the pickup was still beside you, the warning lamp goes out! Doh!! 🙄

I feel your frustration. Too bad this wasn't taken care of during the 3/36 warranty period (I saw you've indicated that you tried several times).

I can only imagine the lawsuit should you (God forbid it) have a collision where this plays a role and there's a document trail several years long of attempts to rectify the situation.

Good luck to you.

Thanks everyone for responses. Dealer once again said no code but found a bulletin regarding cold starts( which is not the issue). The only solution they had was replacing sensors at $1300 each side. Lol.
I’m gonna try some private shops.
I attached a video showing the issue.

If you brought the car in during the warrantee period for this reason and they were never able to fix it and now you brought it back after the warrantee they should cover the cost of the repair. I think that's an "unwritten law". I would call Mazda Corp and ask them to cover it.

Latest posts

Back