CX-5 Check engine light with code P144C

2.5l turbo with about 50k km. The check engine light is on and I got a DTC P144C. Online search doesn’t give me any info on Mazda, but some info for Ford cars. I guess it’s probably the same. Here’s what I got:

• Stuck open Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister purge check valve (part of EVAP canister purge valve)
  • Damaged EVAP canister purge check valve

I have made an appt with the dealer, but just curious how often this happens and what could cause this failed valve issue (such as driving habit, air dust etc)

Last edited:
2.5l turbo with about 50km. The check engine light is on and I got a DTC P144C. Online search doesn’t give me any info on Mazda, but some info for Ford cars. I guess it’s probably the same. Here’s what I got:

• Stuck open Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister purge check valve (part of EVAP canister purge valve)
  • Damaged EVAP canister purge check valve

I have made an appt with the dealer, but just curious how often this happens and what could cause this failed valve issue (such as driving habit, air dust etc)
Brand new CX-5 with only 50 km and got DTC P144C? Make sure your gas cap is tight with a click.

Thanks. I missed another ‘k’ there. It’s 50k km. Corrected the original post. I checked that as well and it’s closed with the sound. I did smell gas around the car from time to time.

Not sure about Mazda, however, on other brands this can be caused by overfilling the gas tank. That is, trying to top off the tank filling it after the gas dispenser "clicks" off.

Thanks. I missed another ‘k’ there. It’s 50k km. Corrected the original post. I checked that as well and it’s closed with the sound. I did smell gas around the car from time to time.
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister itself is pretty expensive, so as the simple purge check valve. Remember these emission components should be covered under Federal mandate emission component warranty which is eight years or 80,000 miles.

I’d agree with ch3no2 that if you have the habit topping off gas as much as you can, you could get EVAP canister related error code but usually it says the EVAP canister has saturated.

...I did smell gas around the car from time to time. ...
That's abnormal. Gas odor and CEL with a fuel system code I'd say it does have an EVAP system problem.

With reporting your issue in kilometers, I assume you're not in America so idunno if your emissions systems are covered under warranty still or not.

Thanks folks. I usually just stop on the first click and don’t overfill the gas tank. I am in Canada and the car is within 3 year warranty so hopefully they would cover it. I didn’t find much info so couldn’t do much check myself. Hopefully this is a rare issue and would be gone after they fix it.

BTW, last time the gas smell is around the gas tank cap area, although gas cap is tight

Last edited:
Could be as simple as replacing the gas cap.

Just an update, went to the dealer and they said it’s the purge valve. They said it’s still safe to drive though. They replaced the purge valve, and cleared the code. So far so good.

Just an update, went to the dealer and they said it’s the purge valve. They said it’s still safe to drive though. They replaced the purge valve, and cleared the code. So far so good.
Just like the DTC P144C indicated. Thanks for the update.

Engine light on again after about one week with code P04F0. Went back to the dealer, yet they don’t have any info about this code. They said they created a support case and now waiting for Mazda tech support. lol

Oh s*** i had the same issue ! P144c i live in texas and some guy at autozone said it can be normal bc of the heat and recommend me to use injector cleaner

Oh s*** i had the same issue ! P144c i live in texas and some guy at autozone said it can be normal bc of the heat and recommend me to use injector cleaner
Just don’t believe this DTC code P144C has anything to do with Texas heat and fuel injectors.

Yeah me either tbh, what you think is the issue in this case then?
The code indicate it’s EVAP canister purge check valve failure. It could be the expensive EVAP canister itself. The best is to wait @LeSheep’s update after his dealer had tried to replace the purge check valve under warranty at no avail.

Engine light on again after about one week with code P04F0. Went back to the dealer, yet they don’t have any info about this code. They said they created a support case and now waiting for Mazda tech support. lol
This could be yet another instance of a tech being so dependent on their diagnostic OBD tool, that they won't even try searching an outside source for additional information. A simple search for P04F0 results in a bunch of hits for evap/emissions system issues, some of which also mention the P144C as well. And one of possible causes is a loose evap line, which sure does seem to me like a prime suspect in this particular case.

The catch here seems to be that this information is stated to apply specifically to only certain makes. Ford showed up often in the set of results that I looked at, but I didn't spend any additional time looking for other makes. And the fact that Mazda and Ford had such a close business relationship in the past, suggests to me that buried away in some piece of previously co-developed Ford/Mazda computer code, is setting this P04F0.

Anyone who has spent a lot of time working in IT, knows that programmers routinely copy blocks of code, instead of writing everything from scratch. So my guess is that someone dragged in some previously co-developed Ford/Mazda computer code that included setting the P04F0, didn't notice it, and so that fault code never made its way into the documentation. And that lack of documentation resulted in in the Mazda M-MDS OBD tool not having any information to display for P04F0.

If they continue to have problems figuring out what this code means, you can give them a helping hand with it ;)

This could be yet another instance of a tech being so dependent on their diagnostic OBD tool, that they won't even try searching an outside source for additional information. A simple search for P04F0 results in a bunch of hits for evap/emissions system issues, some of which also mention the P144C as well. And one of possible causes is a loose evap line, which sure does seem to me like a prime suspect in this particular case.

The catch here seems to be that this information is stated to apply specifically to only certain makes. Ford showed up often in the set of results that I looked at, but I didn't spend any additional time looking for other makes. And the fact that Mazda and Ford had such a close business relationship in the past, suggests to me that buried away in some piece of previously co-developed Ford/Mazda computer code, is setting this P04F0.

Anyone who has spent a lot of time working in IT, knows that programmers routinely copy blocks of code, instead of writing everything from scratch. So my guess is that someone dragged in some previously co-developed Ford/Mazda computer code that included setting the P04F0, didn't notice it, and so that fault code never made its way into the documentation. And that lack of documentation resulted in in the Mazda M-MDS OBD tool not having any information to display for P04F0.

If they continue to have problems figuring out what this code means, you can give them a helping hand with it ;)
I believe the Mazds tech did a right thing replaced the EVAP canister purge check valve when he saw P144C originally. After all with the complexity of current car systems we can only rely on the diagnostic software with error code generated to resolve the issue. The new code P04F0 since the replacement of purge check valve says “A malfunction of EVAP System High Pressure Purge Line Performance has been detected”. It seems to be a generic emission malfunction code which doesn’t indicate any specific component failure. It’s possible that the EVAP canister itself has situated after the new check valve, or a loose emission hose somewhere where the tech did a poor job when he replaced the EVAP canister purge check valve. Nevertheless it requires the tech to carefully check the EVAP system emission lines and start from there.

Hope the OP would give us an update after the second dealer visit.

I believe the Mazds tech did a right thing replaced the EVAP canister purge check valve when he saw P144C originally. ....
I have no problem with that valve replacement either. My comments had to do strictly with the statement from the OP that, regarding the P04F0, "they don’t have any info about this code", when it's readily available using simple online searches.

Back