Crush Bent Hard Piping

cmahlig

:
2003.5 Sunlight Silver MSP
If I were to get some crush bent hardpiping. Would i feel any ill effects such as surging due to the different diameters of the pipe?

I'd say before doing that get some mandrel bent sections and hose couplers like from turbohoses.com

Last edited:
I'd say before doing that get some mandrel bent sections and hose couplers like form turbohoses.com

Yeah dont waste your time with crush bent crap. The stock piping would probably do better than crush bent charge piping.

ive used it, worked fine. didnt keep the setup for long but its no worse then the stock piping as far as ID goes and it doesnt expand like the stock piping does. If you can do a setup for under $50 couplings included (see ebay) then why not. I found the piping sitting behind an exhaust shop, basically it was their scraps lol worked fine.

I spent a pretty penny on hard pipes once and honestly ill never buy them again, like the above poster said if you are serious about performance then just buy some bends and couplings from ebay or some other site and you are good to go. then paint whatever color u want.

ive used it, worked fine. didnt keep the setup for long but its no worse then the stock piping as far as ID goes and it doesnt expand like the stock piping does. If you can do a setup for under $50 couplings included (see ebay) then why not. I found the piping sitting behind an exhaust shop, basically it was their scraps lol worked fine.

I spent a pretty penny on hard pipes once and honestly ill never buy them again, like the above poster said if you are serious about performance then just buy some bends and couplings from ebay or some other site and you are good to go. then paint whatever color u want.

I think I could only possibly agree with this statement if the person using the crush bents made sure to get rolled beads on the ends and used some heavy duty T-bolt clamps...Otherwise you'll end up with that s*** in Video_Kid's sale that ended up being garbage.

And seriously is it that much more costly to go custom mandrel bent? It's just a different machine that does the bending

mandrel is the obviously better. Im just saying that from the experience I had with a crush bent pipe it was fine.pretty much anything is better then the stock pipes as they expand and cause the turbo to work much harder. It was 1 of 3 hardpipe setups ive had on the car. the stock intercooler hurts flow 100times more then pretty much any crappy crushed bend so it really isnt that big a deal when you put it to comparison. im noticing 2-4psi loss when measuring from pre ic to post ic boost with the stock unit. i didnt see the slightest change with a crush pipe vs mandrel pipe.

of course most would never put a crush bent anything on their car as they have the cash and "standards" for mandrel. If you are going to do it, do it right kinda thing.

i can get it done cheap, i know all the good and bads about it, my car isnt for show and i dont really even care how it looks, its just that my stock pipes are leaking and need a quick fix. i think im just going to buy some mandrel sections. i think i need 3 couplers, a 90 and a 45 degree bend. am i right?

You will likely need more pipe sections and/or bends. The pipes will need four couplers minimum to do this. Have you thought about how to get the bypass valve mounted into the new pipes? I had to use a piece of crush bent pipe before and I didn't notice a huge results after changing that piece to mandrel.

Back