Cracked Cylinder Head (2018 CX-9)

2018 Mazda CX-9 cracked cylinder head. Quoted $8400 for new engine replacement! This is ridiculous! I have been seen a lot of posts about this known manufacturer defect. Is there anyway to get Mazda to pay for this?

If there is no coolant in the oil then the engine does not have to be replaced. Only the head which is $900 plus labor, gaskets, fluids, seals etc. Labor is more expensive and the bulk of the cost. Head job should be about $2500 or so but less than $3k with the brand new redesigned OEM head. Oh and yes, absolutely ridiculous manufacturer defect.

Last edited:
2018 Mazda CX-9 cracked cylinder head. Quoted $8400 for new engine replacement! This is ridiculous! I have been seen a lot of posts about this known manufacturer defect. Is there anyway to get Mazda to pay for this?
Sorry to hear this! I’ve read many times going to Mazda corporate can be helpful. Sometimes they’ll offer a partial payment, or full payment. However, some stated they offer nothing. Good luck. What mileage did it happen? Thanks.

same with my 2019 cx-9 head cracked and leaking at the turbo,,,my local Mazda dealer only offered new engine replacement for $12k I suggest calling Mazda 800-222-5500,,,I did.., their hopefully working on a solution- paying or offering assistance! mine has 97k miles
replacement is in in the $3k-$4k range Good luck!!

My 2018 CX-9 JUST did the exact same thing! The Mazda mechanic from the dealership even said on camera that the engine should be replaced bc if the just replace the head, it’ll do it again. They quoted me $12,000 and my husband has spent this entire week calling DAILY to corporate and they ADMITTED this is a BIG issue and some of the corporate employees have said Mazda is replacing the engines. They only offered to pay just under $4000 for mine but why would you not just replace the whole engine knowing this is going to happen again and I’ll be right back in your call logs with the same issue! The calls are recorded which is great for us bc I’m seeking a lawyer now. They lied and deleted my husbands number out of the account bc they don’t want to deal with someone who KNOWS what they know but done want to pay for. Had we not done research on this issue this week and found that this was a MAZDA problem I would be screwed trying to buy another car but bc we did research and found that Mazda has been aware of this issue and they have yet to release a statement making Mazda owners aware of the problem ( my guess is because it’s a expensive fix and they don’t want to pay for THEIR damn mistake) I need Mazda owners who has had this same issue reach out to me with your contact information so that once I find a lawyer maybe we all can come together for a lawsuit bc this is BS!

We should all team up and start a Class Action Lawsuit!!
Please see the attached TSB - Internal Mazda Service Bulletin

Attachments

• TSB-01-013-21 cracked head Service Bullletin 2019 CX-9 yes.pdf
    948.7 KB · Views: 83
I also don’t think the comment that the mechanic made saying it will just happen again if you don’t replace the engine is correct.

The issue is with the cylinder head design. Replacing the total engine instead of the cylinder head does not make any difference on the reliability of the repair.

The important thing to prevent this from happening again is getting the new design head, or a new engine with a newly designed head.

Also if you look at the TSB, if there is coolant in the oil, then you should replace the engine, if the leak is external only and there is no coolant in the oil, then replacing the cylinder head only is fine.

Mazda corporate is giving the runaround. He spoke with several people in corporate admitting this has been an issue and that Mazda has been replacing the engine. The mechanic on video for my car stated that the engine should be replaced to keep this from happening again. Mazda records all calls so they dug themselves in the hole while talking to my husband last week then deleting his number out of the account so they wouldn’t have to deal with him bc he got all his certifications with the US government being military.
Coolant is leaking externally and replacing the engine is the best bet it doesn’t happen again.
Once in contact with a lawyer this week, I’m happy to let them know your Info for this same issue maybe get a class action suit going. If you have paid out of pocket for this repair, I hope you have all receipts I would hope you would get reimbursed for what you paid.
My email is chasingrivers24@gmail.com send your contact info if you wish.
Not sure if this makes any difference but
I’m located in TN, and if anyone has any lawyer suggestions I’m happy to give them a call.

@MJ2024, did you miss the post where i said there is a firn already looking into a class action suit?

See here:

The only people who win in a class action lawsuits are the scumbag lawyers.
most of the time, but (at least in Canada) it has recently forced hyundai/kia to provide extended warranty for some of their engine failure, and for honda to provide extended warranty and repair compensation for their paint clear coat problems.

I don’t care if the lawyers make money out of it, if we get a warranty in return.

Curious. Is the crack in the 2.5T located in the same area as the non- Turbo's that get a crack?
Turbo head cracking does not happen in the same location as on the NA, however both of them share similar characteristics. Both crack on the back of the head, and also are very close to the exhaust manifold studs in the head. And that's something I've wondered about ever since I first read the description of where the cracking takes place.

It seems logical to me that any weakness resulting from a manufacturing or design issue in that area of the head would be amplified by the 10 foot or so lever, which is the exhaust system that's connected to it. Although there's no way of knowing how much of a factor that might be in the failure cases, I've acquired a habit with the CX-5 of being even more careful than I already was, to avoid all bumps and potholes :rolleyes:

Coolant is leaking externally and replacing the engine is the best bet it doesn’t happen again.
The two parts of that statement have no connection. If the coolant hasn't contaminated the oil and damaged the engine, then there is NO need, NO point in replacing the short block (the part of the engine under the cylinder head). A new short block will not protect the new head better than the old short block. The block is not the problem. The design of the head is the problem.

...most of the time, but (at least in Canada) it has recently forced hyundai/kia to provide extended warranty for some of their engine failure, and for honda to provide extended warranty....
This is a real extended warranty from the manufacturer, not the extended service contract fraudulently called an extended warranty.

Back